Dr747
10th Jul 2006, 08:11
Media is reporting a crash in pakistan of a fokker with 45 people onboard
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/5164280.stm
any updateds

Dr747
10th Jul 2006, 08:14
According to Pakistani media it was flight number PK688 from Multan to Lahore
with 41 passengers and 4 crew onboard. Early reports indicate that the engine caught fire soon after the takeoff.
(for people who can understand urdu jang.com.pk/jang)

gtaflyer
10th Jul 2006, 08:33
just heard about the pia f27 crash on GEO tv, very sad news.

GEO tv news says it was engine failure followed by crashing into power lines.

gta

UNY200
10th Jul 2006, 09:17
Sad news!

Some more info about the crash:

http://www.flightglobal.com/Articles/2006/07/10/Navigation/177/207690/PIA+Fokker+F27+crashes+after+take-off+in+Pakistan.html

Dr747
10th Jul 2006, 10:08
A list of passenger names has been released and among others it included two top judges from High court, a professor(speculation are that he is the Vice chancelor of the local university)2-3 army oficers with two of them being high ranking officers and quite a few doctors...
here is the complete list from PIA
http://www.piac.com.pk/ERP/PK688.asp

PK688 (Multan - Lahore) Accident

Pakistan International Airlines regrets to confirm that one of its Aircraft Fokker operating PK-688 from Multan to Lahore was involved in an accident at 1200 hours PST.

At the moment information is being gathered from the accident there were 41 passengers and 4 crew on board.

PIA Media info cell can be contacted on 111-786-786 for updates.

List of Crew and Passengers OnBoard.
Passengers
1 Mr. Abdul Rehman
2 Mr. Aftab Hussain Khan
3 Mr. Ahmed Ejaz
4 Mr. Ejaz Ali
5 Mr. Arshad Azad
6 Mr. Asmat ullah Khan
7 Mr. Imtiaz Anwer
8 Mr. Ishfaq Ahmed
9 Mrs. Kanwal Iqbal
10 Mr. Malik Saeed
11 Mr. Mirza Arshed Baig
12 Mr. Mohammad Irfan
13 Mr. Mohammad Murtuza
14 Mr. Raja Ifthikar Ali
15 Mr. Saleem Shah
16 Ms. Sameena Mushtaq
17 Mr. Shakhi Muhammad
18 Mr. Sohail Ahmed
19 Mr. Waseem Ahmed
20 Mr. Zia Haider
21 Mr. Abdul Rauf
22 Brig. Aftab Ahmed
23 Mr. Ali Imran
24 Mr. Altaf Hussain
25 Mr. Anjum
26 Ms. Eish
27 Brig. Farhat Sabir
28 Dr. Farheen Fatima
29 Dr. Farzana Kausar
30 Mr. Habib
31 Capt. Mrs. Hasnain
32 Dr. Humaira Ashraf
33 Mr. Muhammad Aslam Shad
34 Mr. Muhammad Arshad Latif
35 Mr. Muhammad Islam Gill
36 Mr. Muhammad Naeeem Moghal
37 Justice Muhammad Nawaz Bhatti
38 Capt. Naveed Tariq
39 Justice Nazeer Ahmed Siddiqui
40 Professor Muhammad Naseer Khan
41 Ms. Tehseen Zehra

Crew
1 Capt. Hamid
2 First officer Ibrar Chughtai
3 Ms. Tabana Jamil
4 Ms. Amirah Sikindar Azeem

angels
10th Jul 2006, 10:15
This is the latest from my Reuters screen.

Apologies, I can't link it.

Plane crashes in central Pakistan, 45 dead
By Asim Tanveer
MULTAN, Pakistan, July 10 (Reuters) - A Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) passenger plane crashed on the outskirts of the central city of Multan on Monday, killing all 45 people on board, the local police chief said.
"Everyone is dead. I am standing at the site," police chief Iftikhar Babar told Reuters.
Flight PK 688, en route for Lahore before flying on to Islamabad, crashed three minutes after take-off from Multan airport, said Hasan Jaffery, a PIA spokesman. The Fokker plane was carrying 41 passengers and four crew.
"Bodies are badly charred. The debris has caught fire,"a Reuters witness said.
He said rescue workers from the privately run relief foundation Edhi, the Civil Aviation Authority and the army were taking part in the rescue operation.
"There are few bodies which are identifiable," said Shahid Pervez, a civil defence official, as rescue workers loaded the corpses into ambulances.
The plane, laden with fuel, burst into flames after crashing near a state primary school, around three km (two miles) from the airport.
Police chief Babar quoted some witnesses as saying they saw flames coming from the aircraft shortly after it took off, and it appeared to be tilting to the right.
"I saw the plane diving downwards. It hit electricity wires and then crashed after hitting a wall of an orchard," said Mohammad Akram, a farmer who was working his fields. He said the plane burst into flames after impact.
President Pervez Musharraf and Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz both expressed grief over the crash, according to state-run Pakistan Television. Aziz also ordered an inquiry.
Senior ranking members of the military and judiciary were among the passengers, according to officials in Multan.
In February, 2003, a Fokker F-27 turboprop crashed in northwestern Pakistan killing Pakistan Air Force Air Chief Marshal Mushaf Ali Mir, his wife and 15 others.
Jaffery said PIA was still gathering information to help find out why the plane crashed.
PIA has seven other Fokkers in its fleet. The aircraft that crashed was bought four decades ago. Airworthiness certificates for aircraft are issued following pre-flight checks.
Late last year, PIA ordered seven new ATR42-500 planes from French company Avions de Transport Regional to replace its Fokkers.

tapow
10th Jul 2006, 15:57
dr 747:

and quite a few ordinary human beings. probably very bloody important to somebody!!

Dr747
10th Jul 2006, 16:07
dr 747:

and quite a few ordinary human beings. probably very bloody important to somebody!!
Surely, every human life is important. Thanks for using the words like 'Bloody'
I cant remember mentioning anything of the sort that other people were not important so why to use language like this.
for your info we have lost 3 family friends in that crash, 1 crew member, 1 judge and '1 Ordinary person' so yes it's particulary BLOODY important to my parents as well!!!

tapow
10th Jul 2006, 16:18
Dr 747

apologies,

tapow
10th Jul 2006, 16:26
Dr 747

apologies, and sympathies. my intent was not to upset, but to acknowledge the loss that we all feel in such a situation. the 'LANGUAGE' was meant to highlight the sense of frustration!! it really is a "bloody" shame that people still die in our industry.

GBALU53
10th Jul 2006, 18:58
I know it is early to speculate.

Five or six years ago a Channel Express Fokker 27 had a major fire after take off from Jersey and did a quick circuit and return on one.

The Emerald 748 departure from Stansted a number of years ago with i think the Leed football club had a major engine problem after lift off and landed back on and over ran on the touch down.

Could these all be related??

Are these poor darts getting a little tired after one or two overhauls??

The two incidents that i know of in the U.k. there was now loss of life and it is always sad when you read of lives being lost.

I do hope the experts come up with a quick reason for the incident especialy with the Airbus A310 incident in Russia.

25F
11th Jul 2006, 00:48
They're getting on a bit - I was SLF on these Fokkers 25 years ago.
The crew were reckoned to be very good:
http://www.pbase.com/arifakhan/flight_to_skardu
http://www.pakistaniaviation.com/photogilgit.htm
give you an idea of the sort of terrain they have to cope with.
Sad news.

Dr747
11th Jul 2006, 10:21
Here are some extracts from the Daily Dawn
http://www.dawn.com/2006/07/11/top1.htm
Mohammed Shan, an eye-witness, said that he and his friends were cutting fodder when they saw a plane tumbling down. “It was so close to the ground that we ran away out of fear. Within no time the plane hit the ground. Then we heard some faint voices crying for help from the wreckage, but fire immediately engulfed the entire wreckage,” he said.

As soon as the plane crashed into the empty field, local people rushed to the place in horror and panic.

Shopkeeper Ghulam Mustafa’s small grocery shop was situated a few furlongs from the site of the crash. “I had seen the plane emitting a lot of smoke, as it nose-dived, tumbling and closing in on the trees in the area.”

Immediately after the crash, he said, he phoned the emergency 15 and the fire brigade. “Initially some local people tried to pull some victims out from the wreckage. A severely-injured woman was rescued but she breathed her last before the medical aid arrived.”

He said the fire brigade came after more than an hour. “By that time, everything had been burnt to ashes,” he regretted.

It is learnt that the plane was carrying 4,700 pounds of aviation fuel.

Multan airport’s chief security officer, Muhammad Sarfraz said that the right engine of the Fokker had caught fire immediately after the plane had taken off. “We informed the control tower about the fire just then,” he claimed.

An official at the air control tower said on condition of anonymity that the senior pilot of the plane, Captain Hamid, was immediately informed, and he perhaps tried to bring the plane back.

Aeronautical engineer Imtiaz Anwar, who had given the fitness certificate to the Fokker for the journey, was also on board the plane.

A.D. Malik, the person in-charge of the engineering section at the airport, said that the plane had no technical problem when it was checked for the flight. “An hour ago, it had come to Multan from Islamabad via Lahore,” he added.

The bodies of the people on board were so badly charred that most had become unidentifiable. Nevertheless, relatives took away 42 bodies after identifying them with the help of wrist watches and other belongings found on the bodies.

The CAA authorities said that the ‘black box’ of the plane had been recovered from the wreckage, and it would be sent to Karachi for scrutiny to ascertain the possible cause of the tragedy.

Meanwhile, two committees have been constituted to look into the causes of the crash. One committee comprised CAA officials, and the other PIA personnel.

INQUIRY: A high-level Inquiry Committee has been constituted for investigating the cause of the PIA F-27 (Fokker) air crash in Multan killing all 45 people on board, adds our Islamabad Bureau.

According to the Ministry of Defence a helpline has been established in the Ministry as well as the Civil Aviation Authority and PIA offices in Islamabad, Karachi, Lahore and Multan.

The prime minister has also asked Senior Minister for Defence Rao Sikandar Iqbal to conduct an inquiry into the incident to ascertain the causes behind the air crash to prevent their recurrence.

The PIA Fokker flight PK-688, carrying 41 passengers and four crew members en route from Multan to Lahore, crashed soon after take-off.

Meanwhile, President Pervez Musharraf has expressed deep sorrow over the loss of lives in the tragic plane crash. In a condolence message, he offered his heartfelt sympathies to the bereaved families and prayed that the Almighty may grant fortitude and strength to them to bear this irreparable loss. He also prayed for the departed souls.

Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz has expressed deep sorrow and grief over the loss of lives in the plane crash. He prayed for the departed souls and expressed sympathy with the bereaved families.
Some other Pakistani newspapers are claiming that plane hit the powerlines while trying to land in the fields.

Fangio
11th Jul 2006, 15:47
This accident seems very similar to the fatal F27 accident in Canada, and the non fatal HS748 accident at Stansted. In both cases, the Dart engine had an uncontained failure (the engine exploded) immediatly after lift off leaving the failed engine in two halves. The Canadian F27 crew continued with the departure with an uncontrollable aircraft and crashed as they tried to return to the airfield. The Stansted HS748 had the benefit of a long runway and chose to land back on, albeit over-running the runway resulting in no injuries to passengers or crew. There is a history of such failures of the Dart engine, the failure happening whilst the aircraft was still on the ground. The AAIB took Rolls Royce to task in the Stansted report and many modifications and more detailed inspections were recommended

boxjockey99
11th Jul 2006, 17:13
Not to mention the Channex incident at JER when the Dart had another uncontrolled turbine failure. This was attributed to the same cause as the 748 ay STN - fatigue in the turbine disk casuing it to shatter and depart the engine nacelle.

My condolences to all, as an ex F27 driver its always horrible to hear of one going down particularly with this extent of loss of life.

Box

Xeque
11th Jul 2006, 17:48
I flew as a pax in my first F27 from Wagga Wagga to Sydney (Airlines of NSW) back around 1964/5. I also flew in those operated by ARAMCO in Saudi Arabia and GULF AIR (Bahrain Air Bridge) in the 70's.
Amazing that the aircraft are still around. Having said that, so are a number of DC3's.
Tragic accident.

Fangio
14th Jul 2006, 20:21
Has anyone heard anything further regarding the PIA F27, in particular, has Rolls Royce taken an active interest in the failure of the Dart? There are still approximately over 900 Darts still in service.

Ignition Override
15th Jul 2006, 06:45
Just an idle question, but am curious about whether such older aircraft, no matter in which country, undergo major overhauls by in-house personnel or by outsourced contract work.
A primary question can concern whether an airline's line technicians/engineers are required by managers to sign off daily repair work in maintenance log books-even if the work is not done. This situation has been discovered by Safety Officers with at least one US major airline.

Turboprops might have even more potential for trouble than jets, because of the complex propeller systems. A buddy told me that in ground school for the FH-227, they spent about a whole day covering the propellor controls and blade angle indicator lights etc.

My condolences to the families and victims of those tragedies.