PDA

View Full Version : JetStar allocated seating???

ballsdeep
10th Jul 2006, 05:29
I just saw an ad on TV about jetstar boasting they now have allocated seating. Well WOOP DE DO!!. Doesn`t every airline have allocated seating. Whats the big deal??

Eagleman
10th Jul 2006, 05:34
Don't forget their CEO is Irish!!:=

jetstar1
10th Jul 2006, 06:36
WOW! They are finally starting to work out some reasons why people don't like them! Keep up the good work boys, you have a fair way to go! :O

VMC4ME
10th Jul 2006, 06:44
What's the big deal I hear you asking?

Jetstar achieve fast turnaround times; lower than any other carrier in OZ. Part of this is achieved by unallocated seating which in turn is how they can afford to offer you such low priced seating. One of the reasons why I've seen them pushing back and passengers haven't found a seat yet!

Allocated seating will cost a lot more money, particularly in computer upgrades and customer service and the like.

If you haven't been on them before, they offer a quality service with inflight entertainment, comfortable new aircraft and a friendly smile. Other than the already low ticket price, what else could you ask for?

VMC

ballsdeep
10th Jul 2006, 07:15
VMC4ME

Fair enough, but how is allocated seating better for the passengers? Surly you wouldn`t go advertising that you now have allocated seating, it means there was a time where seats were not allocated. Its something you would expect from airline travel, it hardly seems worth advertising.

UnderneathTheRadar
10th Jul 2006, 07:53
I think this was covered in the other Dunnunda forum but the difference, if you pay close attention, is that you can get your allocated seat at the time of booking and it's guaranteed.

This seems a significant improvement over the large number of times I've been allocated a seat prior to the flight (or even chosen it on some online travel sites) only to get to the airport to find my exit row window is now a middle seat next to the screaming children due to the whims of the checkin staff.

Don't get me wrong, I still won't fly Deathstar despite this and like Jetstar1 am having a quiet chuckle that they managed to misread the Australian public so badly (I know MANY people who, after one flight, refused to consider them again for this reason) but it's actually a pretty good idea.

Of course, how long before A Current Affair or Today Tonight details the cases of family's forced to sit apart because Jetstar guaranteed seats to everyone else on the flight?
UTR.

VH-XXX
10th Jul 2006, 08:59
There is a difference with the allocated seating... Their system has 3 colours of boarding passes. 1st is the elderly, wheelchairs and people requiring assistance which seems to be anyone who has kids as I've noticed, then there's the blue boarding pass for people who arrive like 1.5 hours before boarding, then there's the silver boarding pass for the plebs like me who rock up about 31 minutes before departure. If you're later (like less than 1.5 hours before boarding) and there's 2 or more of you, you will be unlucky to get a seat next to your partner - don't fly Jetstar on your honeymoon AND get there late!

They also have those little DVD players onboard but there are only about 20 of them and if you're sitting behind about isle 10 you'd be lucky to get one!

airbusthreetwenty
10th Jul 2006, 15:54
One of the reasons why I've seen them pushing back and passengers haven't found a seat yet!

Uhh, the aircraft door will not, under any circumstances be closed until all passengers have found a seat.

hoss
10th Jul 2006, 22:00
Regulatory speaking that would be correct but I'm sure some of those 'ole Impulse' habits sneak back sometimes;) .

Very recently, I saw an A320 request pushback with a fuel truck parked under the left wing. How does that work?

:)

airbusthreetwenty
11th Jul 2006, 04:53
Regulatory speaking that would be correct but I'm sure some of those 'ole Impulse' habits sneak back sometimes;) .

Very recently, I saw an A320 request pushback with a fuel truck parked under the left wing. How does that work?

hahaha... if it wasn't connected to the aircraft, where's the problem in that??

:E

hoss
12th Jul 2006, 05:00
I'm not too sure on that one, hence the question:ok: .

The red beacon remained on and about 2 minutes later the truck repositioned and the pushback commenced.

I assumed communications would be established with the ground crew first to ascertain clearance and status, then the call to request pushback. I guess every second really does count on those turnarounds.

planeenglish
12th Jul 2006, 05:25
I just saw an ad on TV about jetstar boasting they now have allocated seating. Well WOOP DE DO!!. Doesn`t every airline have allocated seating. Whats the big deal??
Southwest airlines has never had assigned seating. They are testing it now.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13444945/

Until you've experienced the "cattle heard effect" you can't understand it. I personally think it's mayhm because pax don/t use their common sense and fill the plane from the tail section forward.

Best, PE

Taildragger67
12th Jul 2006, 09:49

The most successful airline in Europe, ie. Boeing's single-biggest customer at the moment and the world's second-largest 737 operator (Ryanair), does not have allocated seating.

You get a card with your check-in sequence number on it, which determines your boarding order, but not your seat.

Can't recall what the regime is on Easy and I've not flown most of the other European LCCs.

The 'big deal' is that they tried something which clearly works as part of a pretty successful business model in another part of the world; it didn't work in Oz so they're responding to their customers and scrapping it. Would that other businesses responded to their customers.

maxter
12th Jul 2006, 10:28
...........Until you've experienced the "cattle heard effect" you can't understand it. I personally think it's mayhm because pax don/t use their common sense and fill the plane from the tail section forward.
Best, PE

I think you are blaming the wrong people here. Any time I have travelled Jet* the Cabin Crew have directed loading from front to back not the passengers. It was something that did not seem logical to me, but supposed it must have something to do with early passengers feeling front of the plane is best and ggiving them front seats is a reward. True in many cases especially if it gets rough in some types I suppose. If on the other hand you are a pessimist you get to the accident first.:E

You also get off 22.575 seconds faster in the front:}