PDA

View Full Version : My computer must be a French sports fan...

planeenglish
10th Jul 2006, 05:13
M
orning all, I have a bit of a problem and would appreciate some help.I am writing with my Nokia communicator because mysteriously after the game last night (I live in Italy) my 14 month old Acer Aspire 3000 with Windows XP shut itself down claiming it had no battery left. I plugged it into an electric socket when it continued to shut itself down.The green light showing electric current on the adapter is on but when I try to turn it on the amber "battery" light blinks. It seems as though it is not getting electricity even though the adapter is connected.Can anyone offer useful advice? Thanks, PE

Conan the Librarian
10th Jul 2006, 08:12
Take the battery out and just use the mains adapter. I suspect the battery has died, though it might be worth unplugging any USB devices and hubs,. Acer normally suggest removal of the batt when the machine is home based as the cycling shortens Batt life. I got a new batt out of them with my old Acer, of a similar vintage to yours and which suffered outwardly similar problems too. New batt arrives and to fit it, I removed the USB hub... Voila! It all worked again. (Even with the old battery! If you DO need a new battery, then there are many generics, which are much cheaper. The Acer item makes you swallow a bit hard)

Conan

planeenglish
10th Jul 2006, 16:36
Hi Conan,

I am writing you from my computer with a brand, spankin', new adapter. It seems the adapter was dead on one half and then there is the slight problem that the connection is loose in my computer (matches the marbes in my head). I have what my father used to call something that is not so nice to say but means a "temporary solution".

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

Question: are you really a librarian? I studied lib. sci in college.

Thanks again,

Best,
PE

Conan the Librarian
10th Jul 2006, 19:05
PE, you MUST be joking! Glad to hear that the great British Bodge is still a winner though :-)

Conan

planeenglish
10th Jul 2006, 20:47
Well, it's dead. The computer shorted out the new adapter after heating up. I am using Mr. Planeenglish's computer until I can see what to do about mine. Uffa!

Thanks for your help,

PE

el @
10th Jul 2006, 21:06
PE, sorry to say that, but must be God's punition for the little love you showed for the Azzuri. And you know what I mean.

planeenglish
10th Jul 2006, 21:12
PE, sorry to say that, but must be God's punition for the little love you showed for the Azzuri. And you know what I mean.
It could be from the buckets of hot water I threw on the loud supporters of "gli azzuri"...if so, it was worth it. :}

However, last night Mr. Planeenglish announced to his pax about the results and they went wild. One guy, despite the "buckle up" sign being on, ran up and down the aisles with an Italian flag. At touchdown Mr.Planeenglish asked crazy soccer fan to give him the flag and flew the Italian flag out the window Where upon the ATC transmitted "Toreador ritorna vincitor..."

:ok:
PE

Conan the Librarian
10th Jul 2006, 22:24
My condolences PE. Looks like a parcel for Acer tech to look at. Ask for a quotation before they fix it, as with falling prices, it might not be much more to get a new one.

Do let us know how you go on with it, please.

Conan

planeenglish
11th Jul 2006, 04:32
Wilco.

Thanks,
PE

el @
11th Jul 2006, 06:53
Ah, I knew you are a good bloke.
Check again the failed PS wattage, if the second one was smaller than the first, is no surprise that failed too. And see if the thing doesn't overheat without the battery, the problem might be there or in the chattery recharge circuit.

planeenglish
11th Jul 2006, 11:19
as with falling prices, it might not be much more to get a new one.
Do let us know how you go on with it, please.
Conan
Well, perhaps two negatives do equal a positive. At a company where I teach the offices were robbed and all portable computers were stolen. The president of the company said that when they make their order from the manufacturer of thier portables I can add one to the order and get a pretty good deal on a new HP portable comp. I may take advantage of the offer and still try and fix ol' Acer boy.
Is that a light at the end of the tunnel or another train coming?
Best,
PE (the last of the librarians)

planeenglish
26th Jul 2006, 18:06
Hello all, my complicator is back from the sick bay. Had heat exhaustion trouble. New adapter and it is spankin good...for now...:suspect: !

Thanks a bunch,

PE

Conan the Librarian
26th Jul 2006, 18:56
Good to hear that PE. Welcome back.

Conan