PDA

View Full Version : Russian A310 & The Press!

Disco Stu
10th Jul 2006, 01:01
The ABC News Site
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200607/s1682490.htm
says:

Russia investigates Siberian plane crash
Russia has begun an investigation into yesterday's plane crash in Siberia that killed more than 120 people, including eight children.

Survivors have spoken of terrifying moments as the airliner smashed into buildings and flames engulfed the cabin.

The plane, an A-310 Airbus from Sibir Airlines, was on a flight from Moscow to the city of Irkutsk, near Lake Baikal - a major holiday destination.

Russia's Transport Minister Igor Levitin says the pilots had reported a successful landing to air traffic controllers but then lost contact.

"The plane motored over the limits of the runway," he said through a translator.

"It was raining, the runway was wet.

"We have to check the clutch and the working of the plane mechanism.

"At the instruction of the President, a commission has been set up and I have been appointed to head it."

I am prepared to believe there is something lost in the translation.

My sympathy to those that have lost loved ones.

Disco Stu

DirectAnywhere
10th Jul 2006, 02:47
COuld be the clutch in the autothrottle mechanism. But I take your point....:}

compressor stall
10th Jul 2006, 04:15
The world "coupling" in Russian (муфта) also can be translated as "clutch" into English.

Shot Nancy
10th Jul 2006, 05:06
COuld be the clutch in the autothrottle mechanism.

Do the A310 thrust levers move on their own like a Boeings?

rmcdonal
10th Jul 2006, 06:08
Its part of the thronomister.

compressor stall
10th Jul 2006, 06:46
My Russian is a but rusty, but from from my Rossoya Technical Russian dictionary, трономисть (when spelt out "Tronomist" in English) translates as "noun (f) a device that when engaged allows the transfer of energy from combustion into trust."

For those interested, conjugations are:
nom: трономиста
acc:трономисть
gen: трономисты
prep:трономистe
dat:трономистe
inst: трономистoй [oю]

Given that the thronomister needs to be engaged, that suggests a clutch like mechanism. Ripe for a translation error...

At risk of thread drift, given that it's in my Russian dictionaries and not in the english, maybe they invented it?

CS

Tarq57
10th Jul 2006, 07:32
Indicated by someone on the other thread in Rumours and news, clutch could mean the braking coefficient at the time.

DirectAnywhere
10th Jul 2006, 09:22
I'd be buggered if I know Shot Nancy - but then again neither would your average aviation journo so I should fit right in!:}

The reply was made with tongue firmly in cheek.....

Vee Won Kutt
10th Jul 2006, 09:52
I see on the news tonight that ‘they’ are blaming it on brake failure. I’m sure someone will pull the stuffing out of that theory!

It may be in bad taste but …. maybe the captain’s son couldn’t reach the brake peddles!

I think it was Late night TV host Jay Leno, who after Sept 11 asked “… Can we laugh again now?”

Contract Con
12th Jul 2006, 05:57
Stally,

You never cease to amaze me:D

Have had the Tele's out much so far this winter?

Cheers,

Con:ok:

compressor stall
13th Jul 2006, 02:07
Not yet mate - I've been dancing to the snow gods every night but to no avail. :{ :{ Not worth it....saving the biccies for Japan in late feb, start of March, depending on when I get back from down south. Back in touch now with a good skiing buddy from uni who now lives in Japan managing the resort... :E

Bloody jealous of your snow at the moment I must say! Keep the pics coming!