PDA

View Full Version : When you smile at a PAX...How often do you mean it???

tuismile
9th Jul 2006, 16:02
I was doing a flight today and was in a REALLY foul mood cos of a few "domestic" problems...Obviously in this job, we have to be friendly and approchable and Iwas on this flight. But I was thinking to myself "I'm not in the mood for smiling!!!"

When you smile to PAX, how often do you REALLY mean it????

flybywire
9th Jul 2006, 16:09
I mean it all the time....except when the've p:mad:ed me off and I am trying to get on with the job without swearing at them ;) :E

It happens very rarely but when it does my colleagues usually notice....and I get that "fake smile" pain in my cheeks!!!!:}

FBW

I also want to say that sometimes "forcing" yourself to smile (like in your case) could be therapeutic. I had a very rough time at one point last year and the only thing that could temporarily get rid of the problems from my short-time memory was going to work. Sometimes when you make a smile happen it can influence the next smile you make, and then the next after that etc. You can find that your mood improves because of that.
If problems are too serious though and require your mental presence the whole time then maybe taking a pause from work is the best solution.

tuismile
9th Jul 2006, 16:36
I also want to say that sometimes "forcing" yourself to smile (like in your case) could be therapeutic. I had a very rough time at one point last year and the only thing that could temporarily get rid of the problems from my short-time memory was going to work. Sometimes when you make a smile happen it can influence the next smile you make, and then the next after that etc. You can find that your mood improves because of that.
If problems are too serious though and require your mental presence the whole time then maybe taking a pause from work is the best solution.

Thank you for that FBW. Very thoughtful...I know exactly what you mean though. I am actually meant to be on compassionate leave, but I chosae to go to work otherwise I'd have gone MAD!!! It certainly did help to keep my mind off things!!! I was in a foul mood on the outbound flight but felt a bit better on the way home to be honest.... Some of the PAX I smiled to were actually sincere!!!! But my cheeks were hurting me after a while and my teeth were dry after boarding 328 PAX!!!

jcx
10th Jul 2006, 09:41
I always enjoy smiling at the pax........ when they are disembarking!
:}

jennihopkins
10th Jul 2006, 13:52
i actually do anlways sincerely mean it when i smile at people. and i smile at perfect strangers in the street, but its lovely when they smile back! can you tell i have only been in this job a few months?! he he

jetflite
12th Jul 2006, 23:23
Have heard of a cabin crew person saying to pax as they board,

"Welcome I'm Bored" . . . pax continue to smile an walk to there seats not knowing the difference. :}

Muttley Crew
13th Jul 2006, 18:24
That's soo clever.....:rolleyes:

el @
13th Jul 2006, 20:37
a320rider, what kind of unhappy jerk are you ?
I ran across three postings of your and all are invariably silly sexual jokes of poor taste.
Let help us making pprune a better place, it's easy for you, just stay away.

Lulu100
14th Jul 2006, 13:17
Have heard of a cabin crew person saying to pax as they board,

"Welcome I'm Bored" . . . pax continue to smile an walk to there seats not knowing the difference. :}

My dad used to be cc and he used to say as pax were disembarking "tickle your A£se with a feather"...and when they said "pardon?"...he would say "particularly nasty weather!"

I'm starting with BA at the end of August, but not sure I'd pull that one off as well as my dad did!!:p