PDA

View Full Version : 'Universal' TV/Video Remote Controllers

BOAC
9th Jul 2006, 11:04
As I gather more and more hunks of plastic with buttons on to control my various things, I am looking at going for one of the 'do all' units.

I need, in particular, to control a Daewoo Freeview Digibox as well as all the usual - Hi-Fi, TV, VCR, DVD (dog:)) - and wonder if anyone has experience/recommendations on which of the many makes to try?

Conan the Librarian
9th Jul 2006, 11:15
I purchased the Cambridge Audio M1 a couple of years ago, to solve no doubt, the same issue that you have. Looks nice, with a touch screen and pleasantly understated looks. Used it for a week and then put it into a drawer.

Thing is that it just didn't feel intuitive somehow. This was supported by the fact that well over a half dozen remotes came out again and were preferred over and above the Cambridge, which really says it in spades, I suppose.

Oneforall do a series of remotes, including LCD units and if I am not mistaken, you can get them at Maplins, or at least Google them up. I think I would certainly want to read a few reviews on usability though, before getting stung again.

Conan

BOAC
9th Jul 2006, 11:27
Thanks Conan - Googling as I type:)

ILS Repeater
9th Jul 2006, 11:39
BOAC…. I had the same problem (too many different remotes), so I purchased a universal remote control from the local Sainsbury’s. It cost just over £9.00 it is reasonably simple to programme, the auto-scanning process is a little time consuming, but it came with a booklet containing the codes for most devices. It’s quite compact and now happily controls TV, DVD, Freeview box and audio unit (doesn’t stop it getting lost down the side of the sofa though).
Before you spend vast amounts of dosh on some other high-tech gizmo, take a look at the cheaper options.

BOAC
9th Jul 2006, 12:19
Thanks ILS - will do. I was about to post "Has anyone experience of the 'Kamelion' remote?" Your post, however, has brought the price differential into sharp focus:)