PDA

View Full Version : CC work in UK

NordicJetSet
9th Jul 2006, 10:44
I'm thinking of starting to apply UK airlines, because there is lot more to choose from and more possibilities than where I'm living now. The problem is I've never been to UK and don't know anyone there. Is there anyone who has been in the similar situation?

My first problem is of course how to attend interviews, then if I get selected how to find place to stay etc. How airlines usually feel about hiring from outside UK? For example, does it make difference with BA if you are from UK or not? I know that they accept all EU passports.

Rainboe
9th Jul 2006, 15:57
Education in the UK is so bad now that few English have language skills, so BA was forced long ago to take European nationalities for their language skills. If your country is a member of the EU, there will be no discrimination against you and no special problems getting a job with any UK airline. If you have the right attitude, you have as good a chance as anybody else, though you should realise that many apply and few are chosen.

For places to stay you can always find cheap 'bed and breakfasts'- the internet will give you many, or try the British Tourist Board. Flying to the interview with companies like Ryanair can get you to the interviews fairly cheaply.

Don't feel intimidated. There are all sorts of nationalities from everywhere living and working in the UK now- you will soon find people from your area. I think there is very little discrimination, and absolutely no resentment of foreigners coming here to work. Even Flyblue has got a job here as a Moderator and we make her very welcome (it is unpaid though!).

You are only alive once. Do not be intimidated into not doing it because you think it will be difficult. I've worked with all sorts of nationalities and people seem to get on just fine.

flybywire
9th Jul 2006, 16:05
I agree with Rainboe, if you have an EU passport you have the same chance as anybody who has a british passport. Your english seems quite good so provided you've got what they're looking for going through the selection process shouldn't be a problem.

There are thousands of foreign CC in BA based in the UK, myself being one of them. I noticed today that of all the people who got promoted recently in my fleet, about a third are foreigners!!!! So as you see...same chances to make a career out of a passion too :ok: :cool:

Good luck and let us know what you've decided and if you need any help you've found the best place to get the answers you're looking for :ok:

sadie
11th Jul 2006, 19:35
Flybywire,I presume by the name your in Shorthaul?