PDA

View Full Version : Should I start saving....?

pez1206
9th Jul 2006, 09:50
As above really, I'm currently 18 and have got my foot in the door of the aviation world (as a dispatcher), with aims to move into commercial flying.

But my question is, should I:

A) Start saving now, every penny counts when it comes to flight training

B) live a bit and enjoy my earnings, being young I have a few years before I need to start thinking about saving.

C) Other...

Really I would like all of your opinions (those of you who fly and those who don’t) ...do any of you regret saving for a mortgage instead of an ATPL?

Many thanks PEZ

TruTh747
9th Jul 2006, 10:32
with aims to move into commercial flying

I pick A, start saving now! you can enjoy it later when you are sitting on the right hand seat of a shiny new jet!

:ok:

Whirlygig
9th Jul 2006, 10:45
No doubt about it, if you want an ATPL, start saving NOW!

Then consider Modular vs Integrated route (or even Armed Forces!) as these will all have an impact on your finances in a different way!

Cheers

Whirls

Capt. Crocodile
9th Jul 2006, 13:01
You need to enjoy life as a young person. There's certain things you can enjoy when your young you may not enjoy when your older. However it's also important to have your CPL available asap. You never know when the window of opportunity will open in an airline. I opted for the mortgage first and to do my CPL later. My other school friends chose to do their CPL first. Unfortunately for me, when the window of opportunity opened in the airlines in OZ I had a mortgage and no CPL, my mates that had their CPL also had some quality hours and got into the airlines. Now they got an airline job and a mortgage. I got a mortgage but no airline job. I'm now pumping big money into my licence to buy quality hours at the expense of the mortgage. I advise you to do your CPL first. You also need to have variety in life though. Plan it so that you put a certain amount aside for flying but make sure you take an occasional break to do something different. Good luck whichever path you choose. I know it can be a tough one. :)

davepearsall
9th Jul 2006, 16:26
B and A.

I'm 21 and want to become a pilot but also want to go off and see some of the world before i slip into the "job stream" and forever regreting not going travelling when I was younger.

I am putting some money away towards my training and some towards going travelling.

LLL
10th Jul 2006, 00:10
Save. It is So expensive. I have nearly got my PPL now and will be working right through to get my CPL, I work full time but because I am 20 I am a junior so get paid minimal. I use ALL of my money for flying all of my wage every week. luckily i live at home with my parents but save save save it is the only way to get through it. Trust me sometimes it is SO depressing but by the time you get your license it's not like you'll be really old anyway. You can still do fun stuff and will not have to worry about doing your license anymore

airsupremacy
15th Jul 2006, 19:23
NO! wait till you get all your ratings.

Felix Saddler
16th Jul 2006, 12:06
get yourself a loan