PDA

View Full Version : 737 touch-and-go at FAVG

Montoya
9th Jul 2006, 09:40
Did anyone see this?! It was absoultely amazing!It was all part of the airshow,a Kulula 737 did a couple of fly-bys and then went in for a brilliantly flown touch and go,I wish I brought a camera :ugh:

cavortingcheetah
9th Jul 2006, 10:52
:hmm:

Has Scully changed his airline then?:suspect:

CALCULATOR
9th Jul 2006, 11:35
It was probably on a normal schedule flight, those boys dont like to waste bucks, and probably caused ANOTHER late departure for KULULA!!

Romeo E.T.
9th Jul 2006, 15:16
http://www.avcom.co.za/phpBB2/files/favg_airshow_late_076_755.jpg

4HolerPoler
9th Jul 2006, 15:48
Great picture - extremely well flown demonstration by Glen Warden. For the record, the wheels never touched the ground but it was a Wow! occasion.

Fantastic show, excellent weather & a great opportunity to catch up with old friends.

4HP

GTJDS
4th Sep 2006, 19:41
I saw SAA do the same only from the other direction long ago I guess in late 80's or early 90's. A couple years ago saw an impressive fly past at FAVG by an A340 was home on holiday at the time ,when I saw the logo it took me back to OERK for an instant:O .

SoundBarrier
7th Sep 2006, 01:08
what about Air Zim 707 flypast in '93 I think.

http://www.aviationpics.de/airshow/707buzz.jpg
:uhoh:

Life'sShort-FlyFast
7th Sep 2006, 10:47
Sound Barrier, you are correct. It was about '93 at Charles Prince. Also and for the record the SAA 737 did the approach onto 05 at Virginia and got to about 6 inches and did not touch down. There is still a picture in the Wings Club Bar. At least in the case of the Kalula and SAA aircraft, they had the wheels down!!! The Air Zim flypast was the closest to an OOOPS without damage that I have ever seen!

Solid Rust Twotter
7th Sep 2006, 11:29
Ja, reckon that could put a dent in your weekend....:ooh:

reptile
7th Sep 2006, 13:01
I seem to recall that the captain of the above 707 was kindly invited by the company to seek alternative employment.

SoundBarrier
7th Sep 2006, 22:39
Sound Barrier, you are correct. It was about '93 at Charles Prince. Also and for the record the SAA 737 did the approach onto 05 at Virginia and got to about 6 inches and did not touch down. There is still a picture in the Wings Club Bar. At least in the case of the Kalula and SAA aircraft, they had the wheels down!!! The Air Zim flypast was the closest to an OOOPS without damage that I have ever seen!

I was there for the fly past. I rekon I breathed in so much the planed slowed down a few knots!:eek:

The were good air days though!

PerfectAir
8th Sep 2006, 16:30
\wow - what a shot of the Air Zim. Was it planned or unplanned? Sorry to hear he lost his job over it but what a great crowd pleaser that must have been.:ok:

Rude Boy
8th Sep 2006, 17:06
I recall seeing a Mirage (F1 if I remember correctly) at an airshow at Durban International a few years ago that looked like he got a lot lower than planned at the bottom of a loop. Anybody know any more about that one? Probably early 90's.

VanDokta
9th Sep 2006, 07:57
The 707 pilot didn't loose his job over the flypast.

If I recall however the following year another Captain nearly did loose his job, when he diverted from approach to Harare on a scheduled flight with passengers to do a fly-by in the Air Zim 767 at the airshow.
He apparently didn't brief the passenger of his intentions and caused a bit of panic in the cabin.

reptile
9th Sep 2006, 09:43
Rude Boy.....Pilot was Johan Venter. The combat failed to deploy (supposed to be automatic) as he pulled out of the loop. He recalled seeing the red light warning of the flap failure as he started pulling out, but by then it was to late. Pull hard and pray..........

Rude Boy
9th Sep 2006, 09:49
Thanks for the info Reptile

sidestick driver
9th Sep 2006, 11:12
Yes Rude Boy, I remember that one well. The boytjie made the F1 stand on its tail pipe and cleaned the taxi way with his jet blast-I also remember someone saying he did not have the comabt flap deployed (possibly automatic) come out in time at the bottom of the loop or round out. It was impressive to say the least!