PDA

View Full Version : S/O and F/O typical QF roster?

AllInGoodTime
9th Jul 2006, 09:05
G'day

Can anyone tell me what a typical roster for QF S/O or F/O is on the Asian routes and Europe routes (Syd- London). How long are you generally away for.

Cheers

ballsdeep
9th Jul 2006, 10:50
Probably best to ask in D & G Reporting Points. Its more airline based. People that post here only wish they were an S/O-F/O for QANTAS.

whaet
9th Jul 2006, 12:45
Allingoodtime,
Usually 8/9 days away on the LHR trips
whaet

autobrakes
9th Jul 2006, 22:26
How many days off do you get after?

esreverlluf
9th Jul 2006, 23:34
AllInGoodTime - I'm afraid there is no simple answer. It very much depends on what aircraft type you are assigned as a S/O (and there is no choice given).

B744 S/O's tend to get longer trips, whilst A330 and 747 (Classic)S/O probably tend towards shoter trips. That said, most S/O flying is quite efficient, resulting in approx 30 days off (or more sometimes) per 56 day roster.

First F/O slot is likely to be on a 737 or 767 (though who knows where we'll be by the time that comes around), with less efficient domestic and Tasman flying. Time off is then more likely to be of the order of 12 or 13 days off per 28 day roster.

Hope that helps.

Esrev.

fly real fast
10th Jul 2006, 20:06
What sort of coin does a S/O get a month??

Cloud Cutter
11th Jul 2006, 01:07
Ballsdeep, that's just silly. It's a question, not a reporting point.

ballsdeep
11th Jul 2006, 01:16
D & G Reporting Points
Airline and RPT issues in Australia and enZed

and

D & G General Aviation & Questions
The place for students, instructors and charter guys.

I know where i`d be asking airline related questions

BALLS

Cloud Cutter
11th Jul 2006, 01:25
I guess I can't really argue with that. Although I'll probably try.......

OH410E
11th Jul 2006, 04:04
What sort of coin does a S/O get a month??
Coin! ...coin laddy..? what sort of language is that?
You can forget a job with qwanas unless you are prepared to speak proper as laid down in the manual at all times :=

The correct term is stipend

Aussie
11th Jul 2006, 04:15
Interesting way of spelling Qwantas!!! :} :} :}

Aussie

desmotronic
12th Jul 2006, 01:59
Can anyone tell me what a typical roster for QF S/O or F/O is

10 years folding maps followed by 10 years doing as you are told.. :} :zzz:

Bazzamundi
12th Jul 2006, 04:07
Current s/o's doing between 24 to 32 days per 56 day roster depending on seniority and their preferences ie. longer trips with more time in ports, or shorter trips with quick turn around times. F/O's and Captains are similar. Shortest trips are about 4 days, longest are 14 days for S/O's, average trips are between 6 and 8 days long.

767 F/O's are doing anything from day trips to 6 day trips, while I think the longest trip for a 737 F/O is 4 or 5 days.

You can get good coin if you work 900 hours per year, but as to how much it varies greatly between individuals and aircraft type.

max autobrakes
24th Jul 2006, 11:26
Sorry but according to the Great Alan Joyce ,all Qantas pilots are overpaid and under worked. Hell didn't you know JetStar pay and conditions are the way of the future Laddy.So back to the salt mines for you!:{

SkyScanner
24th Jul 2006, 21:20
I have 2 lax via mel away for 6 days each with 3 local nights off guaranteed. London via SIN and HKG which is a 9 day trip with 4 local nights off at home. And to round out the roster an 8 day Frankfurt with 4 local nights off when i get home.

So in 56 days I am working around 30 w/ 26 days off. Thats around 170 paid hours..

As to how much coin - never enough

Hope this helps

Transition Layer
26th Jul 2006, 01:27
-400 S/O. Similar roster for me...10 day Asia/Europe trip, 13 days off (with EPs in the middle :* ), 14 day Europe double shuttle (i.e. oz-asia-europe-asia-europe-asia-oz), 5 days off then a 6 day LAX via Auckland.
30 days away, 1 day EPs, so 31 days out of 56. Sitting very close to 100hr/30day limit at the moment too.

TL

Bazzamundi
26th Jul 2006, 01:41
Having looked at a few 400 S/O's rosters when flying of late in can provide the following insights. As with everything in QF it depends on your seniority. People high up the list may do as little as 24 days in 56 with higher density flying and less time in slip ports. One recent roster I saw (very senior) had 3 4 day LA trips, 1 5 day SFO and 1 4 day JNB for maximum hours and 40 hours overtime, all in the space of 21 days.

The average for a S/O appears to be between 26 and 30 days away at a guess per 56 day roster. The jetlag can really make some of your days at home a bit of a waste however. Maximising the amount of flying for days away depends on what you want. The LA double shuttles (SYD - LAX - AKL - LAX - SYD) can be done in as little as 8 days and consisit of nearly 55 stick hours I believe (not exact but close). Two of these a roster and one Europe for example would give max hours for about 24 days away. However, they are very tiring and you only get minimum time in each port (the LA double shuttles in particular).

There is also a big difference in the amount of overtime and hourly rates between s/o's making the pay differences huge. You hear stories of people getting $150K, however these are a very small minority (ie. very senior and doing absolute max hours and overtime). The majority are on much less than that. Some s/o's in QF earn as little as $75K, again depending on a/c type, seniority and the amount of flying being done.

Hope the recruitment can start again soon, but hopes are not high.:uhoh:

tinpis
26th Jul 2006, 03:39
Erm...what does an SO do actually?:confused:
Never flew with one in my day was an FO and an FE .

Aussie
26th Jul 2006, 03:54
Babysits the Autopilot...

The Messiah
26th Jul 2006, 04:22
Tinpis

Just a question mate. If S/O was all that was available when you first joined lets say QF, because they no longer required FE's, would you have taken the job?

Apart from the skipper, once the gear is up and the A/P is engaged everyone else has the same job, whether F/O or S/O ie. making sure the other guy doesn't f##k it up.

A lot of airlines are moving away from the title of PNF to the title PM (pilot monitoring), indicating you are still a vital part of the safe operation.

I hear so many old codgers use a condescending tone towards S/O's, when truth is the only reason they were never one is TIMING, which is pure chance and nothing more.

SkyScanner
26th Jul 2006, 06:41
If you to go to work twice a roster, 2 euro double shuttles can result in you having up to 4 weeks off in a row. This will also give u 160ish hours for the roster.

Last time I heard an S/O earn $75K was 2001 on the 767. -400 Newbies these days earn around the 100K mark. Senior blokes $160K.

Most 744 S/O are around the 850hr mark/ year unless they run short when we end up flying around 895!

*Lancer*
26th Jul 2006, 07:44
Bazza, 'very small minority' is a bit of an overstatement. Working max hours/overtime, anyone in the top third on the 400 can earn 150k. Many without thinking too much about bidding for it. The only S/Os who earn 75k are those in their first year, working minimum hours on the A330.