PDA

View Full Version : aircraft exterior lighting

witwiw
9th Jul 2006, 08:19
Are strobe lights mandatory on Australian registered RPT type aircraft? If so, what CAR, CAO or CASR refers?

Vee Won Kutt
11th Jul 2006, 07:11
I have had just a quick look at it. Try:
CAO 20.18 section 10, and also look just a little further at Appendix V.
I suppose anti-collision lights cover strobe lights?
If it was an Instrument Renewal I would answer "Yes"
If it is just a general question - then you need to get out more often.:E

Capt Claret
11th Jul 2006, 07:38
From Appendix V of CAO 20.18 6 Position and anti-collision lights equipment for displaying the lights prescribed in regulation 196 of the Regulations.

Note: In accordance of the provision of subregulation 195 (1) of the Regulations, position and anti-collision lights shall be displayed at night and in conditions of poor visibility.

CAR (1988) 196, says, in part;
(1) Unless CASA otherwise directs, an aeroplane in flight or operating on the manoeuvring area of a land aerodrome shall display the following navigation lights:

(a) an unobstructed red light projected above and below the horizontal plane through an angle from dead ahead to 110° port;

(b) an unobstructed green light projected above and below the horizontal plane through an angle from dead ahead to 110° starboard; and

(c) an unobstructed white light projecting above and below the horizontal plane rearward through an angle of 140°, equally distributed on the port and starboard sides.

(2) Unless CASA otherwise directs, navigation lights shall be steady lights.

(3) Unless CASA otherwise directs, an aeroplane in flight or operating on the manoeuvring area of a land aerodrome shall display, in addition to the navigation lights, an anti-collision light consisting of a flashing red light visible in all directions within 30 degrees above and 30 degrees
below the horizontal plane of the aeroplane.

(4) Where the lights are flashing lights, the aircraft:

(a) shall display an additional flashing white light visible in all directions; and

(b) may display an additional flashing red rear light; in accordance with such requirements as CASA, having regard to Annex 8 of the Convention, specifies in Civil Aviation Orders.

I can find no requirement for strobes. A search on the CASA docs CD, under REGS or Orders, found only references listed thus; strobes (if any)