PDA

View Full Version : DC-3 photos request

skyways
9th Jul 2006, 02:31
Hi,
Does anyone have any photos of DC-3 c/n 9286 that they would be willing to contribute to a pictorial history of the aircraft being put together by her new owners?
She has been:
A65-9 (RAAF)
VH-EAM (Qantas)
VH-EWA (East-West)
VH-EWF (East-West - the second one, not the first one that ended up in the golf course lake)
VH-PWN (the first one, not the one that is currently at the museum at Bankstown)
ZK-AMS (Pionair)
VH-CWS (Classic Wings)
Obviously any photos would be credited appropriately.
Cheers :)

Desert Flower
9th Jul 2006, 03:04
I have photos of this aircraft as both VH-PWN & ZK-AMS. I have tried to send you a PM but I'm not sure if it went through or not.

DF.

sixtiesrelic
9th Jul 2006, 03:18
EAM was with TAA in the late forties too.

Woomera
9th Jul 2006, 04:17
A65-9 C-47A C/N 9286
Delivered to the RAAF 01/05/43. 'VH-CTI' 24 sqn.
To QANTAS as VH-BAL Registration not taken up.
Changed to VH-EAM 12/12/46.
21/07/53, VH-EWA East West Airlines.
28/05/59, VH-EWF 'Peel City'.
02/06/65, leased to Airlines of South Australia.
27/11/67, VH-PWN Pacific & Western Aviation Ltd - Tamworth.
1971, leased to Queensland & Pacific Airways. East West Airlines.
Bush Pilots Airways until 1979.
Cairns Apt Fire Service damaged by fire 11/80.

Reading this (http://www.ruudleeuw.com/dc3-zkams-history.htm) one wonders about the "Cairns Apt Fire Service damaged by fire 11/80". It seems the aircraft did have a life beyond the end of Bushies?

Animalclub
9th Jul 2006, 05:59
As an aside - I remember taking part in a fire drill at CNS using the fuselage(sp) of a DC3 in the '80's. Actual fire was not involved just evacuation and ancillary services to do with pax and crew... mind you I got doused in bloody foam and I reckon it was done on purpose 'cos they followed me away from the 'plane with the hose!!!

I have no idea of that rego - couldn't have been the same one could it.

Woomera
9th Jul 2006, 06:48
Animal. Can't be that Gooney Bird - it was still there a few years ago. And I would suggest it was way beyond any restoration!

skyways
9th Jul 2006, 06:52
We think it's possible that the DC-3 that was actually damaged by fire was the former VH-EDD - there's a couple of various opinions as to which aircraft it actually meant in that entry - but PWN continued on quite happily and still does!

Fris B. Fairing
9th Jul 2006, 11:57
"Cairns Apt Fire Service damaged by fire 11/80".
This report seems to have come from the Air-Britain publication "The Douglas DC-3 and its predecessors" (1984). The report most probably refers to VH-EDD which was indeed burned on the Cairns fire dump on several occasions. I am advised that the fire report has been deleted from the entry for VH-PWN in the recently released reprint of the book.
Regards