PDA

View Full Version : Help with setting up my virtual cockpit

luigi_m_
8th Jul 2006, 22:47
I've never been into Flight Simulators much, except for IFR and VOR tracking stuff. But my friend has got me really into wanting to get Flight Sim 2004 and start using it online. Great idea, but my current laptop is crap. Basically what I need in this thread is an idea of what I should/will need in terms of minimum requirements, software, hardware.etc. for when I buy a new laptop in the next few weeks. So, here's a list of things which I hope you kind people may be able to help me with:

1. Brand of Laptop to go for (never using Acer again, they suck)
2. Minimum system requirements for running FS 2004, plus I will need space for video editing and general Microsoft Office stuff, including, RAM, Gigs, Processor.
3. What "lower-priced" (poor man) video and graphics cards are worth looking out for.
4. Control columns, throttle, pedals, headsets to look out for.
5. Can I link up two screens for FS 2004, and if so, how?
6. Any other useful tips you can throw my way, such as what programmes I'll need to download to fly on the net. My mate has recommended vatsim.net, so I'm gona check them out in a bit.

Thanks in advance for any help

Bob Lenahan
9th Jul 2006, 01:17
mmm, hoping not to stick my neck out, I'd suggest you do some searches at http://forums.flightsim.com/dc/dcboard.php

planecrazy.eu
12th Jul 2006, 09:24
Hey, well this is what i am using for my FS04 Setup.

Acer 5650, 256 DEDICATED NFORCE NVIDIA, 100GB, 1GB RAM, Loads of other bits and bobs, runs FS04 at max settings with not loss of speed or quality. I paid £890 for the Laptop which i thought was good. It has the New DUO Centrino inside it.

I am using three monitors all in all, and my laptop display. I have a TV conected to my Video Out, A 19" To my DVI out, 19" To my VGA out and i got the laptop screen. The graphics card splits four ways using different techniques and using Grid Vista and other Acer add-ons.

I am using Flight One Level D B767 and its amazing, cant think its too far from the real thing in terms of what all the buttons do...

As for Acer, I have had two, all my family have them and i have had no problems nor have they. I also sell for a living, laptops i sell 3 or 4 per day, usually 3 been Acer and 1 been HP. We get more HP's back despite selling less and when we do get an Acer back Acer are one of the best companies we deal with for repairs and returns, the best is Dyson, but they dont make laptops just yet.

When looking around Mesh was my second frav, i think they do some around £600 with half decent graphics, ATI 256, same one as in the Apple Intel Notebooks, think its a ATI1600?

Most notebooks have a VGA out at least so two screens can be hooked up by using the drivers on the graphics cards will allow this to be done really easy. Mine support two outputs but with a little messing i got it to support three, i am told i can tweak it some more and use the DV out (Not DVI) but not sure with that. You can get a USB VGA out also which is about £80, this adds a second VGA output to add a second screen.