PDA

View Full Version : Light aircraft down in Eastern Cape

Jelly Doughnut
8th Jul 2006, 17:18
According to SAFM...

Light aircraft down near Fish River, apparently belonging to 43 Air School. 2 occupants airlifted to hospital.

Hope they recover ok....

ghostrider42
8th Jul 2006, 18:55
Heard the call on Cape Town east..........124.7.........Yak 52 went down on the bank of the Fish River this afternoon. Believe aircraft not owned by 43, but by a local pineapple farmer who leases it when needed for aerobatics. 2 pilots airlifted by medevac chopper to East London, anyone have any news of their condition?

DawnTreader
8th Jul 2006, 22:43
Heard the call on Cape Town east..........124.7.........Yak 52 went down on the bank of the Fish River this afternoon. Believe aircraft not owned by 43, but by a local pineapple farmer who leases it when needed for aerobatics. 2 pilots airlifted by medevac chopper to East London, anyone have any news of their condition?
Awful news again ... hope they're OK!

The YAK is used by 43 to take the airline (SAA) pupes up for an introduction to aerobatics. Sick bag is mandatory :yuk:
The Fish River is on the outskirts of the GFA about 5nm to the NE of FAPA. There aren't great landing choices available as the area is quite hilly. The PIC in this two-seater is generally an experienced instructor. Please someone fill us in on who they are!

strong medicine
9th Jul 2006, 19:06
guys,

latest is that the instructer was a chap called kevin barnard, and not to sure about the student. they both survived and are in hospital.
last i heard there was some head injuries and the odd broken bone but it seems they will both be ok although things are a bit vague still.
the aeroplane was indeed a yak 52, and reports have it down near the capp river just beyond the fish.
hilly? not really, but i think the guys did well regardless- that undercarriage doesnt look like it would enjoy anyhting off the runway!

stressmerchant
9th Jul 2006, 19:24
Wishing a speedy recovery for both of the crew

".. but i think the guys did well regardless- that undercarriage doesnt look like it would enjoy anyhting off the runway!"

The POH suggests retracting the undercarriage for emergency landings, possibly for that exact reason. I've been told that the nose gear is weak on dirt strips, but that the main gear is fairly rugged.

Heli_Sticktime
9th Jul 2006, 19:59
Saw a posting from Bendix that the prop was found below HT wires and the tailfin was cut off, anymore news?

Gerund
9th Jul 2006, 21:49
I am sorry to hear this news. Kevin Barnard is a first rate chap; one of those people who have the highest standards and who it is a privilege to know.

Get well soon Kevin and best wishes to your student too.

putt for dough
12th Jul 2006, 08:51
Hi, are there any updates to this story?
How are Kevin and student holding up?

Thanks...

putt for dough
24th Jul 2006, 15:54
Any updates to this story?
Whats the gaf 43 pupes?