PDA

View Full Version : DOUBLE ENGINE FLAME OUT IN RSA

CALCULATOR
8th Jul 2006, 16:26
Hi there hear about the King air BE20 in Jhb south africa that had double engine flame out ? on Friday 07 JULY, ON AN OFFICIAL CHARTER with 10 pax.Rumor has it the crew made an emergency landing from 10000ft into wonderboom airport with both engines flamed out.They did a great job however RSA caa are interested why they coudnt taxy after landing?
Rumor has it fuels just gone up in Johannesberg therefore try take as little as possible??
Aircraft flew back to base a few hours later??

BOAC
8th Jul 2006, 16:41
'Scuse my stating the obvious - if I may be first?

IF the BE200 has 2 engines and both have quit, how would YOU propose to taxy it?

Farrell
8th Jul 2006, 16:47
Interesting FIRST POST, Calculator!

Kalium Chloride
8th Jul 2006, 16:51
When you say BE 200, do you mean a King Air or one of them Russian amphibian firebombing thingies?

Either way, still only two engines on the sucker.

CALCULATOR
8th Jul 2006, 18:29
'Scuse my stating the obvious - if I may be first?

IF the BE200 has 2 engines and both have quit, how would YOU propose to taxy it?If youve had a flame out when on the ground if theres fuel left in the tanks generaly a restart is simple,then one can taxy.Agree

CALCULATOR
8th Jul 2006, 18:30
When you say BE 200, do you mean a King Air or one of them Russian amphibian firebombing thingies?

Either way, still only two engines on the sucker.This is the twin engine KING AIR 200 made by Raytheon.

ComJam
8th Jul 2006, 19:05
Calculator

Not simple to restart it if it's full contamination is it?

Or are you jumping to the conclusion that they ran out of fuel?

:mad:

PAXboy
9th Jul 2006, 21:41
Best nip over to 'African Aviation' as the thread there seems to have established this as a Beech Twin.

jondc9
10th Jul 2006, 19:09
i know a guy who flamed out both engines in a SA227 Metroliner (san antonio sewer pipe for those who know).

I imagine its winter down there in south africa...the guy I know flamed them out when he turned on the prop spinner heat without turning on the ignition (a no no!). lucky for him he was on short final and made the runway...but couldn't start em up !

any ice in this situation?

His dudeness
10th Jul 2006, 20:03
SA 227= Garrett Powered
Be200= P&W PT6A41 or A42 powered.P&W=dependable power! No gizmos like Spinnerheat on these. Autoignition. Engine air intake is deiced all times (exhaust air flow trough) only thing you use in actual icing are the ice vanes. activated either by electric motor or pullhandle.
Know a guy who didnīt use icevanes in heavy icing - both shrouds broke, both engines damaged, but kept running.

Very unlikely icerelated IMO (4000hrs KingAir B200)
Dual flameout implies fuel problem - either contaminated or the lack of...or ice accumulation due to not beeing drained regularly. (fuel filter clogged - but has bypass)