View Full Version : RAF Eyesight Standards

Tiger_ Moth
18th Aug 2001, 21:16
To join the RAF as a pilot or other aircrew do you have to have perfect vision? I used to think this but someone I talked to seemed to think that if you had contacts it might be ok and that the restrictions are not set in stone just like with the CAA where some people can get passed on a medical with not quite up to standard eyesight. Is this true?

scroggs
18th Aug 2001, 22:15
Nominally, you should have uncorrected vision to 6:6 standard. That means you can see at 6 metres what it is assessed the average person with healthy eyes should - 6:5 or 6:4 is better, 6:12 would be unacceptable.
I did hear a rumour that the RAF was considering allowing specs subject to quite strict limits (e.g. no worse than 6:25, with no astigmatism or colour defects). I have no confirmation that this is true, or that it has been acted on.
I suggest you check out the RAF's website and see if the eyesight standards are mentioned. If not, ring them up.

George_08
8th Jul 2006, 14:16
Hey,

Am currently looking into joining the RAF to do my flight training, so I can ultimately become a commercial pilot!

Anyway, I do have a question regarding to vision, because my eyes aren't perfect - I am fully aware of the fact that I would not be able to fly fighter jets, but would I be able to fly something like a C130J instead?

Or should I just give up on this, and go to flight school?

Over and out!
George :)

mcgoo
8th Jul 2006, 14:36
why don't you ask in the military forum, i wouldn't mention that you are only joining to get trained for the airlines though!

Lucifer
8th Jul 2006, 14:58
You cannot join the RAF with poor eyesight - it is only permitted to wear glasses if it develops once you have joined.

Spend your own money and don't waste our taxpayers money!

movadinkampa747
8th Jul 2006, 15:18
why don't you ask in the military forum, i wouldn't mention that you are only joining to get trained for the airlines though!

Too late we have seen this one.

movadinkampa747
8th Jul 2006, 15:19
Hey,
Am currently looking into joining the RAF to do my flight training, so I can ultimately become a commercial pilot!
Anyway, I do have a question regarding to vision, because my eyes aren't perfect - I am fully aware of the fact that I would not be able to fly fighter jets, but would I be able to fly something like a C130J instead?
Over and out!
........................whoops

scroggs
8th Jul 2006, 18:38
There is only one eyesight standard for the RAF. There is no difference in eyesight standard for fast jet, transport or helicopter pilots. As Lucifer states, your vision must be 6/6 (20/20) and free of other defects (especially colour blindness) on entry to the RAF. If your eyesight subsequently deteriorated they would not waste the money spent on training, and you would be given glasses - whatever type of aeroplane you flew.

The RAF does not take kindly to those who wish to join simply to get free training on the way to the airlines. It will only recruit those people who are very strongly motivated to join the military out of a sense of adventure, commitment and service of the country. They recognise that many people will not wish to serve their whole lives - especially as priorities change as you mature, but the minimum service they will contract a pilot for is 12 years.

Scroggs

Mister-Sheep
10th Jul 2006, 16:34
Scroggs/lucifer,
Where did you find out the eyesight requirements for the RAF? 6/6 is not the same as 20/20 (American system). If the requirement is indeed 6/6 thats excellent news!

Mister-Sheep

Lucifer
10th Jul 2006, 17:03
Those are nominal "figures" that relate to different systems and are used colloquially to mean "normal" vision with no glasses required.

20/20 (feet) vs 6/6 (metres) are indeed different systems and mean different things, but if you have "normal" vision, with no defects and no glasses, you have a good chance.

sicky
10th Jul 2006, 17:18
I had my eyes tested and was told i have 6/6. When i looked this up i found a website that said it was the same as 20/20, as like you said lucifer, one is feet the other is metres. I've not yet checked if 20 feet is actually 6 metres though :p

Anyway, i also passed my class 1 medical so i hope that means my eyesight is good enough for the RAF too, should i go through with the application, although during the class 1 he did say i'd probably need glasses later in life. I think it was mentioned that together my eyes are fine but individually they're just off fine (but this is ok i think)

When i was on the phone to the RAF advisor, he did ask if i had "perfect vision". I said i did, but then remembered the website i read, saying that perfect vision was actually better than 6/6 or 20/20.

One way to find out, i suppose, and just go for it

scroggs
10th Jul 2006, 17:46
Scroggs/lucifer,
Where did you find out the eyesight requirements for the RAF? 6/6 is not the same as 20/20 (American system). If the requirement is indeed 6/6 thats excellent news!

Mister-Sheep

I found out because, for 22 years, I was an RAF pilot with glasses. Will that do for you? :hmm:

6/6 is indeed the same as 20/20. The only difference is the fact that the RAF use metres and the USA use feet - and the misperception that 20/20 eyesight is 'perfect'. It is not. It means that you can see at 20ft (6 metres) what the average person should be able to see at that distance. There are many other requirements and limits on things like astigmatism and colour perception.

Scroggs

Mister-Sheep
10th Jul 2006, 19:03
Ah ok. My apologies scroggs.
Bit confused now, when I went for my class 1 medical I asked how the eyesight measurement system worked. I was told that the first number is always 6 and the lower the second number, the better your eyesight, i.e. 6/5 being excellent and 6/9 being quite poor etc. I am slightly short sighted in my right eye and my prescription read 6/5 left 6/6 right.
Presumably if its 6/6 in both eyes, I exceed the eyesight requirements for the RAF?

sicky
10th Jul 2006, 19:21
I'm sure i do not have 6/6 in each eye, but that i do in both eyes together. I don't know how this would hold up with the RAF but commercially, it's fine (as i passed the medical)

BigGrecian
10th Jul 2006, 22:17
Presumably if its 6/6 in both eyes, I exceed the eyesight requirements for the RAF?
Read Scroggs Comment:
There are many other requirements and limits on things like astigmatism and colour perception.

The only way to know is to either enquire to the AFCO, ring the medical centre at OASC or just apply. Think this should be in Medical or the Military forums by now. I have friends who have Class 1 JAA but don't meet the Piot requirements for the RAF.

scroggs
11th Jul 2006, 08:08
6/5 (20/16) means that you can see at 6 metres (20ft) what a person with average eyesight should see at 5 metres (16ft). In other words, it's better than average. 6/4 (20/12) is the best normally assessed (i.e. you can read the bottom line of the eyesight chart). 6/9 is slightly shortsighted compared to average. I first wore glasses with my eyes at 6/9 one side and 6/6 the other. I could see perfectly OK for most purposes - and I passed the RAF eyesight test, though I was picked up for inadequate eyesight within a few months of starting flying training. However, the test was a lot less stringent and a lot more subjective than it is now.

Have a look in the Medical forum for more information. You should be able to obtain the full standards required from the RAF, and any high street opticians should be able to confirm whether or not you meet or exceed those standards (unless you have some unusual eye problems). The standards, despite popular rumour, are not particularly high, but they will not compromise on those minimum standards. Unlike me, you won't get in if you don't meet them.

Scroggs

LeeH88
11th Jul 2006, 08:30
20/20. I asked about it myself. You may be considered for Aircrew, in the back of the aircraft. But to pilot you need 20/20.

planecrazy.eu
11th Jul 2006, 08:36
I have been down this route before! I knew i couldnt join the RAF, but one day an RAF officer told me its rubbish and my weaker eyess would not allow me to fly fast jets but i could fly Cargo or Helis? So i go off and apply only to be sent down to earth as they said, you cant apply to be a pilot, we can see you have poor eyes, only 20/20 will do. This was also backed up when i asked at FLY at Earls Court.

Another thing is, you cant choose what aircraft you fly, or even if you fly in the RAF from what i have been told by RAF Carears. They asses you and tell you what you will fly, or even if you will fly. This might be wrong but it seems that way from the many RAF people i have talked to and what i have learnt from 5 years in the Cadets.

I honestly think it depends who you speak to, but if the RAF are NOW taking people with poor eyes, then i will be the first one up the office to sign up and take my chances of been chosen to fly... Save all my ATPL confusion...

ZH-127
11th Jul 2006, 09:01
Hey,

Over and out!

Hi There,

Im afraid the british RAF eye sight requirements are the same across the board.

Its something i had first hand experiecne of in 2000. I was a FSC at 642 VGS RAF Linton On Ouse, i failed my eye sight element of the medical to progress the training from I.U.T to G-1. At that time i was looking foward to a career in aviation and the RAF. I checked with the SMO and he confirmed that the requirements were pretty much uniform across the board.

That left my RAF career in tatters. Im still wanting to get back into aviation, but unfortuntely due to the eyes, my options are severely restricted. I can do a restricted PPL, and thats it. Outside of that, its a question of microlights, gliding, hand-gliding etc.

:ugh:

Joe

sicky
11th Jul 2006, 21:08
Is it 20/20 in each eye or only both eyes combined?

scroggs
12th Jul 2006, 07:44
Your vision must be 6/6 (for Goodness' sake, get over this '20/20' thing - that is not used in UK!) in each eye. It is not a combined vision thing, both your eyes must be 6/6 or better.

As I have already said (but some people either can't or won't read), the RAF does not pre-select pilots for a particular aircraft category. All pilots are selected on the basis that they are fit for any and all roles. During training, you are streamed to the role which your ability and aptitude best suits you, and for which vacancies are available. You do not have a choice to which role or aircraft you are sent.You may be asked your preference - but thay won't take any notice of what you say!

planecrazy the RAF are not taking people with 'poor' eyes. Nothing in this thread has suggested they are.

Scroggs

ZH-127
12th Jul 2006, 08:16
Scroggs, perhaps it was the case when you went in 22 years ago re: not being able to pre choose which aircraft type you wish to fly, but in todays RAF, you do get a choice.

Routes are:

Fast Jet, Multi-Engine or Rotary.

All pilots complete their basic flight training at 1 FTS RAF Linton-on-Ouse, then fast jet boys go down to Valley for their Fastjet conversion on the Hawks, not sure where the other two groups go (as all my RAF pilot friends, went fast jet). From valley you then either get creamed to go back to Linton and instruct, or stay at Valley and instruct or move onto your OCU. (operational conversion unit) depending on which type particular aircraft. I think where some confusion has reigned, is that you get to choose which Route to go, but you dont get to choose which type i.e You choose FASTJET, then RAF chooses if you go Jaguar, Harrier, Tornado etc.

scroggs
12th Jul 2006, 08:54
No, ZH, you are totally wrong. You do not get to choose. I may have joined the RAF 29 years ago (not 22), but it's not that long ago that I left it, and I am still in touch with the people that recruit, select and train new pilots - and I was one of them, for some years.

The RAF has never allowed people to choose their streaming.

From the RAF Careers website: (http://www.rafcareers.com/jobs/pilot.cfm)

Your role as a pilot in the RAF is as varied as the aircraft you can fly. Once you’ve completed initial training, you’ll be selected to fly jets, larger multi-engine aircraft or helicopters...

After your initial training, you’ll then receive further training on the aircraft type you’ve been assigned to, then start getting to grips with using that aircraft in your day-to-day job

Scroggs

ZH-127
12th Jul 2006, 09:28
Perhaps then they take into consideration your requests where possible dependant on operational requirements. I know for a fact that my friend got asked which he wanted to do, and he asked Fastjet, after 1FTS, he went Valley, was creamed to stay at Valley, then after a tour there went onto his OCU. He's now a GR4 Jocky.

Eitherway, you'd be lucky to get into the RAF these days as any pilot.

The current intake at FTS Linton consists of 3 students. Thats 3 new pilots for the entire 2006 intake.

scroggs
12th Jul 2006, 09:58
I refer you to my post No 19 (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2713035&postcount=19) of this thread.

Scroggs

ZH-127
12th Jul 2006, 10:15
I appreciate what you're saying Sir, and I dont doubt your knowledge. I am speaking from personal experience of what i have seen.

In some circumstances, they WILL take into consideration your request to fly a certain aircraft. Im guessing that if you're skills and aptitude suggest that you would be suited to all roles, and if they had vacancies in all areas then your request would, and IS honoured.

The same applies for actual postings. They ask you where you want to go, 9/10 times they wont actually listen to what you say, except some times they do.

I've a good friend whos an ATCO in the RAF. He did 2 tours up at Prestwick, come the 3rd tour, they wanted him down in Leeming, he asked if he could say up north for a little more time as he was doing some courses outside of the RAF and they honoured his request. He is now, 2 years later than planned, based at Leeming.

Wazzoo
12th Jul 2006, 11:28
You're both pretty much getting to the same answer, but Scroggs has the cold hard truth of it.

Fact is, while they do note your preference when it comes to streaming, that can have next to no effect on where you end up. The RAF will place you just where IT neeeds and IT wants you regardless of what you want.

ZH, you're friends got lucky. They asked for fastjet and they happened to be streamed for fastjet. Thats just luck of the draw more than anything and is not an indication of any new procedures that allow new recruits to choose what stream they want.

Your example of the ATCO is a very different situation. Comparing someone who's been around for a bit, has built up some experience/contacts/life in the RAF to new recruits who all want to fly fastjets but can't.

NB: I'm not RAF so feel free to disagree with whatever I've said! I did look into the whole process and talk to people a lot though before eyesight problems ruled me out of joining as a pilot.

ZH-127
12th Jul 2006, 11:39
Same as me, damned eyes!

You flying now privately? Been looking at the NPPL and wondering if its worth while doing.

scroggs
12th Jul 2006, 12:12
ZH, please don't call me Sir! I left all that behind a few years ago now. Just believe that I know what I am talking about, and there is no benefit to me in leading you or anyone else up the garden path. Quite the contrary: I spend a great deal of my time trying to ensure that you guys get the truth.

Scroggs

ZH-127
12th Jul 2006, 12:47
Sorry Fella. I wasnt calling you Sir based on your RAF experience, i work the corporate world and find that addressing your peers as Sir is a good way of gaining their respect. It helps get deals done.

Guess its the old adage "dont call me Sir; I work for my living" ;)

Wazzoo
12th Jul 2006, 12:53
Same as me, damned eyes!
You flying now privately? Been looking at the NPPL and wondering if its worth while doing.

Yeah, the eyesight requirements catches a lot of people out. Was a suprise to me since I'd never worn glasses, I was only below the standard on one eye and my other eye always compensates. Was a quite gutted, but still, my dream is to fly whether its military or civilian at the end of the day so still pushing on. Looking at the (few!) sponsorship/bonded schemes there are at the moment. If not, try and scrape the money together to go it on my own.

ZH-127
12th Jul 2006, 13:00
Was a massive blow to me as at the time i was flying with 642VGS at RAF Linton. Flown solo many times, had a fair few hours under my belt and was training to be instructor. Sat the medical on station, eyes failed me. Asked what the requirements were for the aircraft we were flying.. and they were the same as those for Tornado guys etc... we were only flying Grob 109B's. :*