PDA

View Full Version : Accurate operating Costs / Fixed / Variable / Break Even ratio Analysis

LUCKY-1
8th Jul 2006, 10:36
Folks, Despite the advice from sages (Most whom operate aircraft!) I am keen to source accurate operating costs for the usual GA Type aeroplanes currently operating in Australia. Happy to take any advice from C 152 through to B 200. Given the depth of experience within the halls of Prune clearly the data is out there, no doubt with some form of ratio that can be used. Cheers Lucky

gaunty
8th Jul 2006, 15:52
LUCKY-1

You will be the LUCKY-1 to get anything that makes sense from anybody who actually knows the answer to your question or at least is willing to share it with you for free.

May I suggest the most accurate answer you will get will be by subscribing to the likes of say Concklin de Decker Associates who will for a fee provide an accurate answer based across a broad cross section of the US experience, which, when you apply the appropriate exchange rate, fuel and labour rates will be more or less the Australian answer.

The fact that they might not agree with the local sages does not mean that the figures are incorrect it just means the local sages might need to take a closer look at what and how they are doing it.

TurboOtter
11th Jul 2006, 06:39
gaunty is right, you pay the right guys and they will give the answers.
However this said I came across a site that has most aircraft on it and it gives operatings costs. Not that I would consider it accurate but it would be a great way to compare aircraft types to see which might be the most suitable machine to get a job done.
If I find the site again I'l post it

QSK?
12th Jul 2006, 00:39
Go to: http://www.planequest.com/operationcosts/default.asp

OpsNormal
12th Jul 2006, 00:55
The general formula being spoken about and linked to ran fairly close to the mark in our case when we expanded not so long ago, however I would go with what gaunty has suggested.

The variable costs are the ones that may catch you out if you do not go in eyes and ears wide open. The planequest formula for the most part does not take into account the variable that there may well be maintanence that has yet to be carried out that has been well hidden or just plain forgotten about. Only an incredibly thorough pre-purchase inspection will cover that, and be prepared to pay a qualified "independant someone" some serious pesos for them to take the required time to delve back many years into the aircraft's log books and Engineering Orders which can take many weeks to do properly. In all reality it is more cost effective to do it while you don't own it, rather than finding out after you do own it (especially when you are spending the sort of $$ that would fund a B200 or similar - as you have made reference to).

Other things to consider are that location specific variables come into the equation. While it may be cheaper to keep the aircraft at a more inland/regional basing due to things like rent/hangarage/landing fees/personnel and insurance costs, the double edge to that is that the cost of maintaining and fuel may well offset any gain in that area, and of course the downtime that comes with waiting on parts to arrive to fix a broken aircraft.

On a side note I'd like to thank the couple of people that helped me gain a more thorough understanding of associated costs involved not so long ago (SuW).

Cheers,

OpsN;)

gaunty
12th Jul 2006, 01:32
OpsNormal:ok:

I had a quick look at the link and whilsy they were "close enough" for an "type v type" comparison they are pretty optimistic and seem to be sourced from individual operator input rather than a methodical result form a large sample.
One single was IMHO light by 5 litres per hour not a biggie in the "old days" but $10ph today.
Another aircraft fro which I have gained an intimate knowlkedge in recent months was over $480ph light on fuel, enough to really spoil your day.

As OpsNor avers EVERY operator is different and has a different way of handling and reporting costs new v used, maint shop v maint shop.

Unless you are prepared to reveal the reason and or purpose for which you require the info, then I think is as much as anyone is able to help you here. PM me if you want.

For a straight market comparison of brands within a market segment the Gold standard is the ratio of used value to new average cost for any one year.
The market is absolutely ruthless in this regard and if a given brand does not perform as advertised in any given segment it is marked down accordingly.
That information is also available but again ata a cost.

Hence the reason for the request is important. Idle curiosity = whats on the web for free, business investment decision = you pay for it = free advice is usually worth what you paid for it.:}