PDA

View Full Version : Chief pilot interview

Wanderin_dave
8th Jul 2006, 02:04
I'm doing a chief pilot interview on wednesday, having never been through the process before. Can anyone give me an idea what i can expect? Only a simple operation, s/e charter and scenic. Obviously gotta know the regs, the a/c and ops manual inside out. What goes on and just how much of a grilling can i expect?

bushy
8th Jul 2006, 03:23
You can expect a two day inquisition, including a flight test similar to the CPL flight test. For some reason CASA do not even accept the credibily of the licences they issue themselves.
I believe this is a gross and wasteful misuse of their authority.

Continental-520
8th Jul 2006, 04:28
As far as the interview goes, you can expect a LOT of questions (particularly regarding the law, obviously) that are pertinant to the operation you are seeking employment with. They'll also throw you a few hypothetical scenarios and ask what you would do.

So, if, for example, your operation involves scenic flights at a coastal locality, expect the works on life jacket requirements, life rafts, ditching techniques, etc.

They will also cross reference this to the aircraft type(s) you are going to be operating. E.G. "What glide performance would you expect from a C206 at MTOW vs. empty?" Basic stuff really.

"What would you consider a suitable forced landing site with mind to maximising survival after impact?"

As Bushy attests, it's all CPL/20.11 stuff.

I never did a flight test with them for the approval, so I can't comment on that, but I wouldn't doubt Bushy's advice.

Know your rules/regs and you'll breeze through it.

scrambler
8th Jul 2006, 05:47
Also know your Ops Manual. Expect some the questions to not only be about what are the regs but how your company is going to abide by them.

EG a question on duty time compliance may have you pointing out your F&D recording methods and how you would be prompted if a pilot is going to come close to breaking them.

Woomera
8th Jul 2006, 06:07
You can expect a two day inquisition, including a flight test similar to the CPL flight test. For some reason CASA do not even accept the credibily of the licences they issue themselves.
I believe this is a gross and wasteful misuse of their authority.

Now, now Bushy!! := You haven't woken up to the old "CP check ride" trick yet?? :confused:

You see, the pilot being checked is actually flying ICUS - and the FOI gets to log command!!

Now then Dave, before you go for that check ride, ask the FOI whether you are PIC and whether the FOI intends to participate in the flight. If he intends to participate in any way - manipulation of any controls etc - ask him if he is type rated and current on the aircraft. If he is not, advise him he is a passenger and under no circumstances is he to touch the controls - as you would any other passenger in the front RH seat.

If he's a "good guy FOI" - and there are a few around - you will get brownie points for establishing precisiely who is flying the ship and the status of the passenger!

:E

Sunny Woomera

OpsNormal
8th Jul 2006, 06:25
Act: Describe to them your understanding of such things as: Reference library, proving flight, duty of care, diligence and how they will apply to you.

Regs and AIP: MEL's, PUS's, Class A and B aircraft, systems of maint v's schedules, MR's and who can sign them, major defects and maint permitted to be carried-out by a cpl, Logbooks, F+Duty, flight documentation required to be carried, BASIC VFR and IFR flight rules and low flying distances/altitudes (if applicable to your AOC). Fuel and oil consumption records and DG's.

Ops Manual: KNOW YOUR EXEMPTIONS, SOPS AND/OR CAO 48.1 (if no exemption) BACKWARDS!!!!! I cannot emphasise this enough!!

General: A few sample flight planning/fuel problems for you to work out and interpretations and application of the rules.

CAO's

Fuel system inspections, determining fuel quantity on board, presence of water checks, aircraft performance criteria, t/off and landing factors, pax briefs and manifests, 20.11's, seat belts, max POB's, life jackets, route quals etc.

They'll probably want to do a fllight with you in the most sophisticated aircraft you may be going to operate to your highest licence qualification.

They'll quiz you and give you sample problems to solve on airworthiness, flight planning, loading and they will probe your knowledge on some of the more obscure rules and your interpretations of them.

Good luck and good onya for putting your hand up to have a go.

OpsN.;)

Wanderin_dave
9th Jul 2006, 02:17
Thanks for replies everyone, back to the books today to get ready!
Woomera - that was actually something i had thought about, was wondering how it worked. Hopefully he'll come along as pax so i can just turn off the intercom if he says something i don't like! :} Though i've been told by a few up here that he is a ''good guy FOI'' so that's a bonus.
Once again, thanks everyone.
Wish me luck!

gas-chamber
10th Jul 2006, 11:24
The biggie is section 28 of the Civil Aviation Act.

Also, you could get something like the boss owes a mate a favor or needs the mates business and the mate has a dopehead kid who can't fly for sh!t but you are expected to give him a flying job. How do you deal with it? Another one might be the most senior guy in the outfit, 20,000 hours, 20 years service, most loyal blah blah, always gets the job done (i.e.breaks all the rules), boss loves him but you check him for an instrument renewal and he knows s.f.a. and flies even worse, so what do you do?
Another one is someone fcuks up big time (maybe almost runs out of fuel or takes off with the control locks in) and admits it before you find out so what do you do?
At least that's what a colleague who once worked at CASA used to ask because he reckoned this was more like what a chief pilot needed to be able to deal with instead of worrying with bullsh!t instrument rating questions. Lucky he is not at CASA anymore, hey?

Wanderin_dave
13th Jul 2006, 06:30
Thanks for the help everyone, i got thru and am now in a position of responsibility and (minor) authority!!!! Que Chief pilot syndrome!!

For the record it felt very much like my CPL test, tested my general knowledge. Surprisingly little about CAO 48, lots about the responsibilities of being CP and lots of scenario type questions. But then as i said it's a pretty simple op here. Very much a ''good guy FOI'' and he even managed to restore a little faith in CASA :eek:

Thanks again!

Now who around here is gonna do my amendments.......:E