PDA

View Full Version : Contraversial TAIC report

Three Blader
8th Jul 2006, 01:41
Any body got any thoughts on Air Fiordland Boss's comments on the TAIC report for ZK-WWH.
full newspaper report.......
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/southlandtimes/0,2106,3724726a6568,00.html:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
full TAIC report........
http://www.taic.org.nz/aviation/05-008.pdf

bushy
8th Jul 2006, 03:40
In 15,000 hours of flying GA aeroplanes, I experienced wake turbulence on only one occasion. I was flying an Aztec, and found that I needed full aileron deflection to remain level for a short time. It could only have been caused by abother Aztec that was a short distance ahead of me.

Airslasher
8th Jul 2006, 04:36
Fair enough Bushy, have had a similar experience from a preceeding Islander but in this instance, cripes the damn wing had ice on it!!!!!! Fact. There was even mud from the accident on top of the frost!!!

My favourite part from the accident report is

A B-category flight instructor and the operator’s Chief Executive Officer said industry experience was that a light frost on the wings would not, of itself, lead to loss of control of a Cessna 206 during take-off, if the aircraft was not at slow speed.

And after watching the crap he was saying the other night you'd almost think he believes it. He said that 'the industry is behind them' -:yuk: Bollocks!!! That particular pilot is fairly well known as a turkey who cuts corners. I think he's the CP??? One wonders if it had been another of the troops if management wouldn't have hung them out to dry. The reason the other 206 didn't have troubles was probably because that pilot actually removed the ice/frost from his aeroplane. I hope the other pilots at A.F aren't too affected/influenced by the 'safety culture' displayed by the CEO and the turkey.

dudduddud
8th Jul 2006, 10:15
What got me was how he tried to pass off the frost as a result of RFS spraying in sub-zero temperatures.

Of course, none of the general public who read that article will ever read the report so
will not pick up on the fact that:

1.1.21 ...One of the RFS crew said that, when he arrived, he saw frost on the upper surfaces...

:ugh:

Airslasher
9th Jul 2006, 05:09
Indeed, and he wasn't the only witness to make that observation. Yet still they maintain another view.....................The phrase 'orchestrated litany of lies' springs to mind.:cool:

Aviation has always been an example for other industries because of it's open reporting/investigating culture and how it collectively accepts and learns from it's mistakes. Granted this lesson had been learnt a fair few times but you'd like to think that a commercial operator would take it on the chin, accept responsibility and take steps to raise the safety bar.

The company denials of the report are surely an exercise purely to deal with public perception (probably not a bad ploy considering CAA's tribulations over the past few months). This would be because any person even minutely associated with aviation (after reading the report and/or talking to people who were there) I think would have serious problems accepting the company's position.

separator
9th Jul 2006, 06:41
The CEO in question taught me to fly at the Fiordland Aero Club in the late 70's.

Our paths have not crossed since.

He was, even in those days, shall we say, "an unconventional free thinker".

sep

mattyj
10th Jul 2006, 01:52
Yes the gentleman gets written about in several hunting books I have read and is accidentally incriminated by hunters who know nothing about aircraft overloading for instance :} :}

ZK-NSN
10th Jul 2006, 02:38
I would have thought an operator in Queenstown would have better de-icing procedure than a bloody broom. I have heard similar stories about this chap.
The aircraft concerned is in the back of a hanger in Nelson (about 300m from where he was standing in the interview) Looking a little sad, but apparently is being rebuilt. (they have the technology)

Nipper
10th Jul 2006, 22:27

"A study showed that 0.1 of an inch of evenly distributed frost on an acft wings will increase stalling speed by 35%. This roughly doubles the TODR".:eek:

MOR
11th Jul 2006, 01:40
After all that has been written on the subject of icing on wings... after all the accidents and deaths directly attributable to a failure to de-ice... after all the warnings and posters produced on the subject... what sort of moron would take off in an aircraft with visible ice accretion on the wing? Particularly in an aircraft with not much performance to start with...???

It just defies belief... well, maybe not so much when you consider the laughable approach to safety that the CAA embodies...