PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Interview

campdog3
8th Jul 2006, 00:02
Hi guys,
Got an eastern interview in sydney... Been out of the country for the past few years. Loads of info on the QF interview, any hints on the Eastern Interview or is it "same same"?
From what I hear the sim ride is identical to the QF sim ride.. TRUE/FALSE??
Cheers

Aussie
8th Jul 2006, 00:05
Are they still charging the 10K for the endo?

Aussie

campdog3
8th Jul 2006, 00:13
No Idea mate...

Sure it will come up. Not to digress but any interview info???

Vee Won Kutt
8th Jul 2006, 01:46
From what I understand the interview experience at Eastern can vary greatly, depending on who actually does it.
In my experience (and that of most from what I gather) the interview was very professionally run - a complete contrast to my experience at Qantas. However I have heard of others who have had interviews more on par with the Qantas style.
It is a panel interview, with two or three people on the panel. Usually a HR rep and a pilot.
Expect the first question to be along the lines of "Tell us about your life since leaving school". Obviously they will probe a little further from things that you bring up.
It's hard to remember everything now - but here's what I remember.
A lot of behavioral type questions. Mine covered:
Team leadership
Communication
Conflict resolution
Achievements
Breaking rules

Why do you want to fly for us?
What other airlines have you applied to?

Technical questions covered mainly what I new about turboprops, and what I new about theirs.

A few Instrument renewal type questions. Basically if you swat up like you would for a renewal you should be right here.

I got asked to interpret a TAF. It was a reasonably difficult long and complicated TAF. I have heard of others who have had to interpret an MSL chart.

What do you know about Eastern? What do you know about our fleet?

Anyway give it a good shot and you should be right. From what I understand you do have to do a run in the sim, and it is the same as the Qantas run. If you have done the Qantas sim within the past couple of years you may want to try your luck and ask to get the requirement waived.
Last I heard $10000 was the figure being thrown around (which would be a partially subsidized figure. I have heard from 'the horse’s mouth', "If we can't get enough guys we will have to scrap it". Expect 5-6 weeks without pay while you do your training.

Personally I feel that Eastern hasn't got a real good short term future. Morale is at an all time low, and I reckon most are busting their guts to get out. Management are continually pushing the crew in the same way that you would expect some sort of crazed dictatorship would. Sunnies would be the pick of the QantasLink operations at the moment, but with the same people upstairs I wouldn't expect much in the future. If you get into Eastern you can expect a bumpy ride industrially possibly within the near future. For info, they still have not signed off on the last EBA (Mid 2004!), and now the company have withdrawn the offer of backpay. Add to that two recent company decisions: Sunstate Q400 base in Canberra - doing the Sydney run, which was Eastern's cash cow (I understand around 60% of their revenue), and also the closure of the 'new' Adelaide base.

I havn't really painted a rosey picture, but there is no point telling you any lies - It is your future. Things just continually go down hill under the present management. Ask someone from within Eastern if they can give you just one positive thing that has happened in the company over the last 18 months. They may be able to come up with something but I bet they will have to scratch their head for a while. On the flip side virtually everyweek there is some other sort of bad news flowing down from 'upstairs'. Certainly some of the bad news would apply to anyone within the Qantas group.

However, having said all that, depending on you circumstances it may not be such a bad thing.

Good luck with the Interview.

campdog3
8th Jul 2006, 04:35
Thanks buddy!:)

hoss
8th Jul 2006, 22:17
One positive thing in the last 18 months....................................?

I think we got a new NAIPS computer in the bay 57 room a few months ago, does that count.

:rolleyes:

Chocks Away
9th Jul 2006, 02:01
:} ... there's your answer Campdog, from Hoss above!

Aussie
9th Jul 2006, 03:36
Sounds like things have never been better! :uhoh:

Aussie

RYAN TCAD
9th Jul 2006, 16:41
They recently asked if i would consider updating my resume that i haven't bothered updating for 2 years or so because they are recruiting. I didn't bother updating because they introduced a PAY FOR ENDORSEMENT scenario way back then.

I didn't bother now either because they clearly state that the ENDORSEMENT COST IS $18,000.00 that you must pay before being formally offered a position!

Stuff that....

Bo!

Aussie
10th Jul 2006, 00:13
Thats the spirit Chief!

If only everyone else did that we'd be sweet!!

Aussie

loveboat
10th Jul 2006, 10:13
Campdog3 good to hear you're heading back this way.

Look forward to catching up for a beer. Drop me an email when your in town.

Cheers

Howard Hughes
10th Jul 2006, 10:21
I didn't bother now either because they clearly state that the ENDORSEMENT COST IS $18,000.00
Thought they dropped it to $10 Grand due to lack of applicants, still $10 Grand too much though!!:ok:

FrankAlbert
10th Jul 2006, 13:40
Pilots paying for endorsements with airlines lack all integrity and should consider a career change to politics :ugh:

Aussie
10th Jul 2006, 23:05
Yeah mate, i couldnt agree more!

Aussie

jack red
11th Jul 2006, 04:58
Thought they dropped it to $10 Grand due to lack of applicants.......................

Yes and the more applicants that refuse to pay, the lower it will go until.....BINGO - back to bonding.

Just ask JetStar how their recruiting is going. Hang in there lads you won't have to wait much longer!:ok:

Vee Won Kutt
11th Jul 2006, 06:33
Just my thoughts on the paying for the endoresment issue.
I agree with all of you, and I doubt that any pilot out there likes the idea. However in reality if someone out there wants to fight what I call a 'moral crusade' they would be virtually on their own - and would be stuck flying whatever it is they are already flying (Not always a bad thing but more frequently it would be). It's oh-so-simple to say that "if everybody just refused to pay.....", but it's not going to happen. At the moment if you refuse to pay to get ahead in your career you will get left behind. Guys I've knocked this system myself, but after some thought on the matter I'm sure I would do the same. I know Aussie that it's easy to get upset about it all, but perhaps just lay up a bit, and try to put yourself in other's shoes. It's only as a unified pilot group, or through a severe pilot shortage, that will stop this practice. Unfortunately I think the latter is the only likely scenario to end it.
By all means lets have a go at these companies, but lets take it easy on our fellow aviators.

Howard Hughes
11th Jul 2006, 06:44
Just ask JetStar how their recruiting is going.
Almost 50% of the crew where I work have left for Jetstar in the last few months!!:hmm:

Vee Won Kutt
11th Jul 2006, 06:54
Almost 50% of the crew where I work have left for Jetstar in the last few months!!
Howard you are not alone. I think that figure would be closer to 70%-80% of Eastern pilots? (As a guess)

Vee Won Kutt
11th Jul 2006, 06:56
Before anyone has a go at me I should have said that 70%-80% of Eastern pilots have applied (At a guess)

jack red
11th Jul 2006, 07:20
If in fact 70%-80% of Eastern pilots have applied to Jetstar and are prepared to pay for their A320 rating - good for them. They must be well cashed up to have just forked out $18,000 and are prepared for another $35,000. These aren't the guys I feel sorry for, it's the battlers trying to pay off a house and a car and their initial flying training costs.

What I predict is the supply of these opulent aircrew will soon dry up and the airlines will be forced to re-introduce the bond. The sooner the better. It's obscene to even consider expecting a pilot to buy his way into a job!:ok:

Vee Wun Kutt no moral crusaders around here Mate, only realists or blokes with limited finances.

Howard Hughes
11th Jul 2006, 07:56
I don't work at Eastern but suspect the numbers are similar at most of the regionals...

My understanding is that a bond is pretty much un-enforcable from an industrial relations standpoint. I suspect that the whole requiring people to pay upfront is to slow the flow to better paid overseas positions, a bond will not achieve this. Contrary to popular belief, I don't think the airlines are worried about 'the money', but they are worried about losing staff in ever increasing numbers in the future...:hmm:

FrankAlbert
11th Jul 2006, 08:01
If it's all about looking after Numero Uno, then why would you wish to work for a company where you are not considered an important asset worthy of investment?
:confused:

Vee Won Kutt
11th Jul 2006, 08:06
What I predict is the supply of these opulent aircrew will soon dry up and the airlines will be forced to re-introduce the bond. The sooner the better. It's obscene to even consider expecting a pilot to buy his way into a job!

I agree - bonds are much fairer. However take Eastern for example. As an FO I will earn approx $50k (Not to bad by regional Turbo Prop standards), but if I start with Jetstar or VB etc I could at least double my income. Add to this the fact that in my opinion Jetstar would be far better than Eastern at the moment, an Eastern command would be many years away, and a Jetstar command possibly within 2-3 years.

I'm not alone in this. There are many others in the regionals who are in the same boat or similar. Qantas is not a possibility for many of us, and even though the pay may be considerably less than many of you out there earn - it is considerably more that what I earn now.

As far as being 'opulent' - It will take someone in my position 18months - 2 years to make it up, and nobody really has any trouble finding a loan for this figure.

Paying up front is pathetic, no argument. The companies are wrong for doing this. However they are doing it - so if guys in my position chose to fight a 'moral crusade' they will firmly apply the 'handbrake' to their careers.

If you are lucky enough to be on the other side of the recruitment hurdle, then good for you. However spare a thought for everybody else out there. We are just wanting to get ahead in this world too.

jack red
11th Jul 2006, 10:53
.............and a Jetstar command possibly within 2-3 years.

How do you come to this conclusion ?

.....It will take someone in my position 18months - 2 years to make it up,

Vee Wun Kutt You are one very privileged person my friend. To repay a $35,000 loan over 2 years with a mortgage, car loan & day to day expenses you are in a very good position.:D

Oh, and by the way you will not make $100,000 as an F/O with Jetstar OR VB !

As an FO I will earn approx $50k (Not to bad by regional Turbo Prop standards), but if I start with Jetstar or VB etc I could at least double my income.

FarQue
12th Jul 2006, 00:37
Virgin Blue Captain pay rate:
$129898

Jetstar Narrow Body (single isle) Captain pay rate:
$136860 from 1st August 2006
Jetstar Wide Body Captain pay rate:
$147809

Eastern pay rate:
Capt $82101 for 6th year of service (a command will take at least this long)
FO $48236 for first year, $41001 during training

This assumes that the currently proposed EBA is voted in, which is doubtful since it's crap. Anyway current rates are only 3% less...
As far as paying for an endorsement is concerned, I disagree with it and refuse to do so. VB started it, Jester followed suit and Eastern should never have gone there.

On the bright side, you'll find the pilot group at Eastern to be great to work with, even if morale is at an all time low :sad: