PDA

View Full Version : NYPD river rescue (video)

Bronx
7th Jul 2006, 23:24
WSBC-TV New York

River Rescue (http://wcbstv.com/video/[email protected])

News Report (http://wcbstv.com/video/[email protected])

212man
8th Jul 2006, 03:08
She doesn't look that keen to be rescued! A bridge jumper I presume?

GrazingIncidence
8th Jul 2006, 03:32
Perhaps she doesn't like helicopters?

But maybe an argument for NYPD aircraft to have a winch? Would save subjecting the man in the back to reaching out while PIC demonstrates hover IGE.

Masterly stuff, though.

13snoopy
8th Jul 2006, 05:21
She doesn't look that keen to be rescued! A bridge jumper I presume?
Yep. She definitely didn't appreciate the help.:hmm:

helmet fire
8th Jul 2006, 05:38
Lets not use the boat....lets use the helicopter! Much more fun.:8

toolguy
8th Jul 2006, 11:27
She was trying to commit suicide. Good flying though! I like the backward hover to landing.

Cop's swoop saves her in river plunge

BY KERRY BURKE and CARRIE MELAGO
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Clinging to his helicopter's skid, an NYPD pilot reached out for a suicidal woman bobbing in the Harlem River during a daring rescue yesterday.
As his co-pilot steadied the chopper over the victim, Police Officer Devin Buonanno grabbed the woman's clothing and was able to keep her head above water while the aircraft dragged them toward the shore.

"I was asking for her hand. She was obviously very tired. She was barely treading water," Buonanno said. "Her motions were faint. She was weakening."

Buonanno and Officer Dennis DeRienzo were on a routine patrol near Floyd Bennett Field about 5 p.m. when they were called to the water rescue near Roberto Clemente State Park in the Bronx.

The pair, part of the NYPD aviation unit, made two passes over the area before spotting the 51-year-old woman, who apparently jumped into the river in Manhattan in an attempt to take her own life.

"We thought it was a floater, but Devin said, 'No, she's moving,'" DeRienzo said.

Once Buonanno had grabbed hold of the woman's shirt and DeRienzo had maneuvered them close to shore, Buonanno jumped into the water, keeping the victim's head above water as he swam her to safety.

The woman - who left a suicide note for her husband, sources said - was taken to Lincoln Hospital in stable condition.

"You've gotta get someone like Devin who'll say, 'I'm willing to go out on the skid,'" DeRienzo said. "I was thinking I'd better be flying good today."

widgeon
8th Jul 2006, 11:29
One wonders what would happen if they popped the floats while she was in that postion ?.

Heliport
8th Jul 2006, 11:31
helmet fire

Lots of positive publicity in the media for helicopters. :ok:
Good thing they didn't use a boat, even if that was an option. (We don't know if it was.)

Plodin Along
8th Jul 2006, 11:44
Was I watching the same video there...?? I'm sure there were two people holding onto the female and obviously one flying. I also noticed an extra arm assisted the police officer into the water while the other one held onto the female.

That makes at least 3 persons in the aircraft assisting with the rescue... doesn't it??? :hmm:

Good show though :ok: I take it she was too far out to get the boat to her in time?

PA

Helinut
8th Jul 2006, 20:01
Nice piece of flying and good PR. Also had the presence of mind to do it in the correct country. If he had done it in the UK, the CAA would have been threatening the pilot with prosecution :ugh: :mad:

fkelly
8th Jul 2006, 20:23
mmmm, maybe...the CAA seem to have the sense to ignore such cases [SE Wales suicidal woman in the docks, Sussex kid offshore, NEast quayside, plenty more not well known...]

The problem as ever would be - in the UK or US or most places - the prevailing atmosphere - especially in police and EMS operators - of "outcome based decision making", ie/ rescue = BJs and medals all round, tail in water = prosecution with no mates in sight and where's the legal insurance paperwork.

Colonal Mustard
8th Jul 2006, 20:47
Nice piece of flying and good PR. Also had the presence of mind to do it in the correct country. If he had done it in the UK, the CAA would have been threatening the pilot with prosecution :ugh: :mad:

They also forgot the last bit..........Cuffed..............nicked under Section 136 Mental Health act and removed to the nearest Mental Health Unit..and once the crewmember was out the way the woman would have been removed to hospital, then five years later the woman sues crew for causing injuries to her mental health by keeping her alive for which she receives £1 million payout.......The crewmember.....oh he left police force after being nicked for theft of Jet A1 during the rescue :ouch: ....typical UK

diethelm
8th Jul 2006, 21:43
Could have saved all the taxpayers a little money by simply using the skid to push oh so slightly downward on the top of her head.