PDA

View Full Version : BA Uniform Stores....for newbies

GaryJon
7th Jul 2006, 23:23
Just wanted to let all my fellow newbies know that getting to the LGW uniform store isn't so easy !!!!!I went today by train, thinking that it would be easier than driving...big mistake. No one could tell me how to get there. No BA staff had a clue. I finally bumped into a very nice lady, Brenda, from Skyflyers who did her best to find out but the info was limited. I went from North Teminal to South and back to North. Finally i went to Jubilee House to ask and was greeted by a frosty young BA receptionist who didn't have a clue! Her advise was to take a taxi...which i did and for a 5 min journey over about 1.5 miles cost me £10!!!! i got the bus back! It's the number 10 bus.... but from where at the airport you get it I have no idea, all I know is where to get it on the way back.

The reason I'm posting this thread is so that others don't fall foul of the over-the-top £10 taxi fare. My advise is find the No 10 bus stop somewhere in the vicinity of South Terminal!
Also, when you get there, don't let them bully you. The guy who"fitted" me wanted to palm me off with something that would have accommodated Pavarotti!!!! He told me that "it's for work not for fashion" Well, I think there has to be a compromise!!And told him so!
Good luck!

gymlizzy
8th Jul 2006, 05:05
Hello and good morning

I have only just come across this site and I love it already.. I have an interview with BA in a couple of weeks, can anyone give me any help or advice, it would be very much appreciated. I am already really nervous and I am trying so hard to calm myself down.

Many thanks for your time Gymlizzy........:)

Sylphie
8th Jul 2006, 05:26
This list here should be of help to you Gymlizzy :)

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=146469

gymlizzy
8th Jul 2006, 05:47
Thank you so much I will take some time to look it over....:)

chipmunkj
8th Jul 2006, 07:46
Only went in BA's new uniform a few months age after many years with the company---points to think about when you get fitted---
1. Girls- Make sure you can move your ams in the jackets as they are very slim on the back.
2. Sizes are "strange" --i am an M&S 10 but had uniform in a mix of sizes ranging from a 4 to an 8 !!!
3. Waist bands are a little snug (but big on the hips) so remember you tummy swells after long flights.
4 . You can get away without irioning the shirts if you use extra fabric conditioner and tumble dry them.
5 . Girls Trousers are made for people with tiny waists and huge hips. Easy to alter---just turn them inside out and hack away at side and back seems.
6.. Whatever you do dont leave uniform stores without a large handfull of spare buttons or sew all the buttons you have got on again.
7.. Last but not least--many people are washing skirts and trousers on a wool wash.
Enjoy!!!:)

flyblue
8th Jul 2006, 08:06
GaryJon,
wouldn't it be a good idea to report about your difficulties to your boss in BA? So that they are aware of it and provide more information with the next batch of newbies (like a map with transport information).

WeLieInTheShadows
8th Jul 2006, 08:21
If you can navigate the net go to MULTIMAP and type in the address there and then print off a map.

Good idea flyblue, however it's not as easy as that.

I'll see what I can do though.

lgw29
8th Jul 2006, 08:50
if you are going by train to uniform stores u are best to get off at three bridges and get a cab from there it will only cost around 5 pounds.

apaddyinuk
8th Jul 2006, 10:17
No one could tell me how to get there. No BA staff had a clue.

Are you sure you asked the people IN THE BA UNIFORM??? As we have all been through LGW uniform stores at some stage in our career!!!!

Eddy
8th Jul 2006, 11:15
The number 10 bus goes from the NORTH TERMINAL, on the arrivals level. Come out of the terminal and cross to the central pavement between the two roads.

On the central embankment thingy, face the car hire building and walk TO THE LEFT. Go to the last bus stop along. That's where the Number 10 goes from.

If you have problems, go in to Jubilee House and ask. They'll occasionally give you a lift in company transport, if they have a bus available or one going to The Arora. Be sure to take your letter/contract with you as ID for you won't have an actual ID pass yet.

When on the bus, keep your eyes open for the Excel Airways office which will be on your right hand side as you turn off what I think is Crawley Road. The BA Stores are behind the Excel Airways building.

If you're on your way there and get stuck, call or text me 07793 353864 and if I'm in the country I'll try and direct you. I had trouble initially trying to find the place, so I'd be pleased to offer you some help if I can.

scampy
8th Jul 2006, 12:08
I was hoping to drive when I go for my fitting on Monday, does anyone know if it's possible to park there?
Markie
xXx

Eddy
8th Jul 2006, 12:10
Plenty of space

tuismile
8th Jul 2006, 13:06
Guys,

It's not that dificult to find!! I had my uniform fitting two days ago and I found it with no problem!!! If you get the bus, remember that you want to get off once you pass the Excel Airways head office. Cross the road towards the head ofifice. Where the car park is, there are a load of offices behind....go towards there and you will see a British Airways sign in the distance.

If going by cab from LGW, I got one from the South Terminal..(Concorde House) only £5.20 which isn't too bad really. Just ask to go to the Excel Airways head office and usually they park right in the car park.

If driving there, there is plenty of space, either in the Excel Airways Car Park...or right outside the BA building itself!! Which isnt't too bad at all!!

By the way, don't be too keen and arrive extra early if your appointment is at 2:00pm.... they close between 1:00 and 2:00 for lunch!!!!

Hope that helps!!!

xxxx

flyblue
8th Jul 2006, 13:29
It's not that dificult to find
I wouldn't want to appear pedantic, but even if only if "someone" (meaning not everybody ) found it difficult to find, then it is difficult to find! What people in charge should do, is try to prevent a situation where people struggle and get lost. In this case, make sure that the instructions are extra clear by providing a map and transport information. That's why I suggested to report the fact.

It's a well known problem in Human Factors: how difficult can it be to tell the right switch/lever from the wrong one? Yet people kept crashing aircraft until someone decided it was a good idea to make everything possible to differentiate switches/levers: I'm saying this because even if the majority, in normal conditions, may find something "not difficult", it is even better to make it easy for all by providing exhaustive information. 99.99% of the times I'm sure a pilot doesn't need a little wheel on the gear lever, but let's put it there for the 00.01%, huh? ;)

Surely now you're thinking "what has the BA Uniform Store to do with Human Factors and Safety"? Well, Human Factors are useful in everyday life (some of the milestones of this discipline stem from the study of "human errors" and "lapses of the mind" in everyday life), and if it was more widely understood and its spirit spread, we would have less problems in making the beancounters accept it at all levels in airlines :rolleyes: , and never get lost while looking for the Uniform Store :ok:

tuismile
8th Jul 2006, 13:33
ok then :rolleyes: LOL

GaryJon
8th Jul 2006, 19:49
Are you sure you asked the people IN THE BA UNIFORM??? As we have all been through LGW uniform stores at some stage in our career!!!!

Yes, they did have BA UNIFORMS!! I asked at 2 customer sevice desks, i spoke to 4 people in Skyflyers, I went into Jubilee house and asked and yes, they also were wearing BA UNIFORMS!!! So I think I asked enough people.

I only posted this thread because I found it difficult to get directions, if others had no problem, then that's great, but i'm sure there will be others who will also have difficulties. I wasn't looking for a smarta**ed reply. thank you!

scampy
9th Jul 2006, 14:20
Good for you Gary! There really was no need for anyone to get smart. Also thank you very much for starting this thread, it's provided a lot of very useful info (forgetting the snide comments!)

Markie
x

flybywire
9th Jul 2006, 15:47
Yes, they did have BA UNIFORMS!! I asked at 2 customer sevice desks, i spoke to 4 people in Skyflyers, I went into Jubilee house and asked and yes, they also were wearing BA UNIFORMS!!! So I think I asked enough people.

I only posted this thread because I found it difficult to get directions, if others had no problem, then that's great, but i'm sure there will be others who will also have difficulties. I wasn't looking for a smarta**ed reply. thank you!

GaryJon I am really sorry for the difficulties you had in finding the uniform stores. When I did my course we had to go during our training (and not before) and my trainers I remember gave us some maps. It would be a good idea to send a simple map together with the First Steps To Excellence books. It takes nothing, and BA waste so much paper every day that one piece of information like this is worth an extra sheet of paper per new recruit, and it won't make a huge difference to the earth but it will to people like you!!

I will try to talk to the bosses about this, Uniform Stores is quite easy to find if you know the Gatwick/Crawley area, but if you're not familiar with the area it can be difficult.

Guys do not take any s*** from our colleagues in the store, they always try to give you what they have rather than wait for the proper item to arrive. I had to BUY a size 4 pair of trousers as she refused to swap a size 6 she had given me when size 4 weren't available at all - sizes 2-4 hadn't even been thought of and produced yet!! I got really angry as she kept saying that size 6 was my size when I looked like a woman with a huge nappy!!! So just tell them you'll wait for whatever item they don't have in stock. Any items with labels taken off can't be returned, and same for shirts if you remove the packaging. :mad:

I find it astonishing that our groung staff don't know where the store is....as for the "receptionists" at the entrance of JH they wear the uniform but I don't think they're employed by BA. They are from some security company and have to wear the BA staff. At weekends you see "normal" securicor employees watching the door/solving id problems etc. Also you'll see, it can be quite frustrating, they live in "another world", they should take care of lost uniform items (left on planes etc) and when I looked for my scarf they told me to go to N terminal to Lost and Found....yeah right!!:mad:

Good luck guys and if you have ANY problem, do call BA!!! Call the recruitment people (Human resources-you must have their number in your email/confirmation letter) and let them know!!! If you report something it might help other new entrants after you :ok:

Happy course everybody :ok:

FBW;)

sixmilehighclub
9th Jul 2006, 20:30
4 . You can get away without irioning the shirts if you use extra fabric conditioner and tumble dry them.
5 . Girls Trousers are made for people with tiny waists and huge hips. Easy to alter---just turn them inside out and hack away at side and back seems.
7.. Last but not least--many people are washing skirts and trousers on a wool wash.

4. My friend hangs them on hangers straight out of the washing machine.
5. I believe you're not allowed to alter your own except moving a button to let it out or in. You may want to check that before you do it yourself.
7. Is this the reason I see female Cabin Crew with lining longer than the skirt??

My friend also stitches her cravat at the front so it stays in position inside the shirt.

Chocks-Away
9th Jul 2006, 23:12
GaryJon I am really sorry for the difficulties you had in finding the uniform stores. When I did my course we had to go during our training (and not before) and my trainers I remember gave us some maps. It would be a good idea to send a simple map together with the First Steps To Excellence books. It takes nothing, and BA waste so much paper every day that one piece of information like this is worth an extra sheet of paper per new recruit, and it won't make a huge difference to the earth but it will to people like you!!

I will try to talk to the bosses about this, Uniform Stores is quite easy to find if you know the Gatwick/Crawley area, but if you're not familiar with the area it can be difficult.

Guys do not take any s*** from our colleagues in the store, they always try to give you what they have rather than wait for the proper item to arrive. I had to BUY a size 4 pair of trousers as she refused to swap a size 6 she had given me when size 4 weren't available at all - sizes 2-4 hadn't even been thought of and produced yet!! I got really angry as she kept saying that size 6 was my size when I looked like a woman with a huge nappy!!! So just tell them you'll wait for whatever item they don't have in stock. Any items with labels taken off can't be returned, and same for shirts if you remove the packaging. :mad:

I find it astonishing that our groung staff don't know where the store is....as for the "receptionists" at the entrance of JH they wear the uniform but I don't think they're employed by BA. They are from some security company and have to wear the BA staff. At weekends you see "normal" securicor employees watching the door/solving id problems etc. Also you'll see, it can be quite frustrating, they live in "another world", they should take care of lost uniform items (left on planes etc) and when I looked for my scarf they told me to go to N terminal to Lost and Found....yeah right!!:mad:

Good luck guys and if you have ANY problem, do call BA!!! Call the recruitment people (Human resources-you must have their number in your email/confirmation letter) and let them know!!! If you report something it might help other new entrants after you :ok:

Happy course everybody :ok:

FBW;)
Thank you Fly by wire!

it really isn't so straightforward and i resent "fellow colleagues" taking advantage of this lack of information. I hope that there will be more comaradarie when i'm working in BA

G-MANN
11th Jul 2006, 00:58
Do the cabin crew operating for BA Connect out of MAN have to go to the LGW stores for their uniforms??

G-MANN

tuismile
11th Jul 2006, 03:13
Do the cabin crew operating for BA Connect out of MAN have to go to the LGW stores for their uniforms??

G-MANN

No you don't G-MANN. You should get a form telling you to fill in your measurements...get someone else to measure you!!! My friend did it herslef and measured a 167 arm!! Bigger than her leg!!! Double check and triple check it aswell just to make sure it's accurate..

Hope that helps!!

Kent BeTrue
13th Aug 2006, 16:23
Anybody got a contact number for either Gatwick or Manchester Uniform stores, please

Eddy
13th Aug 2006, 16:24
Anybody got a contact number for either Gatwick or Manchester Uniform stores, please

Gatwick is 01293 462366

Kent BeTrue
14th Aug 2006, 22:33
Thanks Eddy..... :ok:

yellowdog
16th Aug 2006, 20:20
All,

If you work for BA the first place to look for any information is on the intranet.

I just read this thread, checked and found a detailed map and directions by public trnasport and car in less than one minute.

BA are going the way of making all information self help, hence the getting rid of 'answers' the old CC one stop shop.

log on at my.baplc.com (http://my.baplc.com)

It now has a great search engine supplied by google. I suggest you always look there first.

YD

flybywire
16th Aug 2006, 20:25
All,
If you work for BA the first place to look for any information is on the intranet.
I just read this thread, checked and found a detailed map and directions by public trnasport and car in less than one minute.
BA are going the way of making all information self help, hence the getting rid of 'answers' the old CC one stop shop.
log on at my.baplc.com (http://my.baplc.com)
It now has a great search engine supplied by google. I suggest you always look there first.
YD

That's true indeed YD!!!!

However I think that the new entrants have to go for a uniform fitting way before the beginning of their training and they won't be able to access the intranet until they have a permanent BAA pass and BSAFE password.