PDA

View Full Version : Connecting HP Laser 1320n to Netgear DG384GT

WG774
7th Jul 2006, 19:35
Hi,

Having been told I could connect a HP 1320n mono laser directly to my Netgear DG384GT router / modem by one of those helpful chappies in PC-World, I've just got home and connected the Ethernet cables only to realise that I need an intermediary widget, e.g a Netgear PS101 or PS121...

Can anyone suggest an alternative? The 101 / 121 both retail for around £50, so cost isn't a problem, but I'd like to know of alternatives as I'm visiting a Computer Fair on Sunday (what a party animal I am...) and would appreciate any suggestions that will be compatible with the above hardware in case a 101 / 121 isn't available at the fair.

The annoying thing is that the printer and router both have an ethernet socket; why on earth do I need another box to go in-between the two? :*

Thanks in advance!

Lost_luggage34
7th Jul 2006, 19:59
I don't think that you do require an additional 'box' to go in-between.

As I understand it, what appears to be an ordinary Ethernet port on your HP printer is actually an integrated HP Print Server.

In theory, therefore, all you need to do is configure this as necessary. All they basically require is an IP address and netmask. I've never used one with DHCP but I am sure that's a possibility.

Does that sound about right from the printer manual ?

Saab Dastard
7th Jul 2006, 20:54
I agree with Lost_luggage34 -

The printer has a built-in JetDirect card (print server).

What you need to do is use the JetExpress (or whatever they are calling it now) software / web interface provided to configure the printer's network interface for your network.

Having said that, I have come across "wireless-enabled" printers that actually require you to connect them to your PC first via USB to configure the wifi network card, before subsequently deploying them as wireless devices.

SD

WG774
8th Jul 2006, 13:07
Hi,

Many thanks for the advice.

I should add that, by pure coincidence, I was offered a secondhand 1320n after visiting PC-World, and bought that...minus CDs...

I've downloaded all the drivers on the HP site, gone through the installation process with IPs etc. Everything seems to be ok until I hit print, whereupon I get the message "Printer is not ready"...

I've tried a test print on the HP and it spews out a test page ok...

My modem recognises it, and I can remotely get the IP if I perform a network scan...

To be honest, I'm really out of my depth here... Why can't I just have a printer that's simple? The last HP printer was unreliable... Why is setting up a printer such a nightmare?
:*

Any advice gratefully received.

Saab Dastard
8th Jul 2006, 13:28
Just checking that you are selecting Network Printer, not Local Printer in the setup?

The HP installation and setup instructions for your printer are here (http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=uk&taskId=115&prodSeriesId=410622&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=410622&objectID=c00240845).

This (http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=uk&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=410622&prodNameId=410627&swEnvOID=228&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=lj-23075-1) is the CD that you are missing - HP LaserJet 1160/1320 printing software CD-ROM

I suspect that you will need to download the Full Printing Solution (http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=uk&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=410622&prodNameId=410627&swEnvOID=228&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=lj-25726-1).

This will hopefully contain the contents of the CD that you didn't get with the printer.

Cheers

SD

WG774
8th Jul 2006, 19:04
Thanks again Dastard.

Have just seen my PC shutdown after downloading 360MB of the file...

Can anyone explain why a printer needs a file of 426mb to operate?

It doesn't look like manual to me, and is listed as a driver with an exe. file.

426MB disk space tied-up to work a printer? Does that strike you as efficient?

Saab Dastard
8th Jul 2006, 19:59
Be fair, the 426 MB will be drivers for multiple platforms and for multiple languages; there's probably some manuals in there, plus utilities, plus the network printer management software (hopefully).

All of which are probably on the CD that you didn't get because you bought a 2nd hand printer...

Actually, since Windows 3.1 introduced the concept of the unified printer driver, setting up printers (and network printers) has been a real doddle in comparison to how it used to be in the bad old days of DOS / UNIX only printing.

Then, every APPLICATION needed a specific driver for EVERY PRINTER!

Conan the Librarian
8th Jul 2006, 21:42
WG - Remember this is from a printer manufacturer! If you print the manual, do you know how much they are going to stuff you for in ink?

Conan

WG774
9th Jul 2006, 13:30
When running the CD, I get “Setup was unable to detect any printers on the network”

If a file is open, say a Word doc, and I select “print” from the file options, I get 2 separate HP Laser options: “HP Universal PCL 5” or “HP Universal PS”; on either, when I select the print Properties, it doesn’t remember the HP’s IP address, and each time I have to manually re-enter it or search for it; upon searching, it picks up the IP and seems to be communicating with the printer – I also get the hardware address of the printer from the search… Upon attempting a print, after a few seconds, I get “Printer not ready”.

I’ve now devoted several hours to this and I’m really getting frustrated… All I want to do is print boring mono sheets – is that too much to ask? Even if I go and buy a new HP printer, why should it be any different? I have all the options from the CD; when unzipped, the install file from HP is 528MB, with numerous language options.

I’ve also tried different installation files from main package, with the same results.

The only firewalls I have are the integrated XP one and the one provided on the Netgear router.

Thanks for the help so far.

edit - Tried again, exact message reads:

The selected printer is currently unavailable. Would you like to remove it from the printer history list?

Aside from the above message, the PC seems to be communicating with printer - I definitely get info from the printer that hasn't come from elsewhere.

Saab Dastard
9th Jul 2006, 14:35
Perhaps the best thing is to go back to the helpful people in PC World and tell them that the installation CD was missing from the printer that you bought. Don't leave until they give you one, or a copy.

Also, disable the Win XP firewall, then see if you can find the printer on the network.

I have a copy of the old HP JetDirect setup software (I don't think it's still available on the HP website) that I can email to you if you PM me with your address - it's about 5.5 MB.

SD

WG774
9th Jul 2006, 19:03
Connecting a printer is the least of my worries… When trying to connect printer, I clicked on “add wireless network”; now my modem has frozen me out, I can’t get on the ‘web at all (type this via neighbour’s slow connection) and my modem DG384 seems to have packed up all together.

I believe I’ll have to pay someone to come in and get everything working as I’ve already spent the whole weekend on it.

I’m off to get drunk – I’ve really had enough of this IT bollox… Why is wireless so complicated?

I had a WPA encrypted rig working well, now I have nothing… The last 4 hours have told me nothing; I can’t reconnect via WPA or non-encrypted, can’t do anything.

Modem doesn’t seem to want to reset itself.

Gutted.