PDA

View Full Version : US Laptop in UK

Biz
7th Jul 2006, 19:02
I realise this may be a somewhat mundane question to ask for you people into computers, but I'm not. So bear with me!
I have a US brought laptop with the 2-pin plug. Today, I went to buy a US-UK adapter - the guy in the shop asked me what voltage it was.....silly boy - I did not have a clue. Anyhow, I bought a 'Tacima' voltage converter anyway. Got home, plugged it in to laptop, laptop recognised it was charging, great! A few hours later, I come back, laptop run out of battery. I presume the charge is not sufficient.
Can anyone direct me to the product I need please in order to run my laptop off UK mains? I would be very appreciative!
Thank you

refplus20
7th Jul 2006, 19:07
Check the input voltage as quoted on the outside of the PSU. Most modern computer power supplies are multi voltage, i.e. they probably accept any input voltage from 100V to 220V. All you would need is a US to UK plug adaptor or to cut off the US plug and wire on a UK plug.

seacue
7th Jul 2006, 23:22
The ac supply/charger for my HP laptop bought here in the USA says "Compaq Computer Corp 100-240V 50-60Hz AC". It would thus work essentially anywhere on earth - given the right plug.

I hope Biz is as lucky.

seacue

Keygrip
8th Jul 2006, 02:01
Neat and tidy as it is - I'd be VERY wary of swapping to those three pin plugs before the warranty runs out.

Any excuse....

planecrazy.eu
8th Jul 2006, 21:55
With Acer it was/is as simple as buying a 3 pin figure of Eight type of lead, cost/s £15. I am sure HP and all the rest do the same. Saves using a 2 - 3 pin adapter all the time...

jetcollie
9th Jul 2006, 08:20
Hi,

These things are the dog's bo***cks! I use the second type below all the time when travelling.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Targus-Universal-Notebook-Laptop-Adapter-New_W0QQitemZ140002915753QQihZ004QQcategoryZ64471QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem

or if you want one with air/auto capability then try this one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Targus-Power-adapter-For-Acer-Apple-compaq-Dell_W0QQitemZ170005509680QQihZ007QQcategoryZ64471QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem

Just check compatability with your computer on the Targus website but they are pretty universal. There are a few more for sale on eBay. Good luck.