PDA

View Full Version : Pilot to head SAA's 2010 team

4HolerPoler
7th Jul 2006, 08:24
Pilot to head SAA's 2010 team

South African Airways pilot Captain Mpho Mamashela will head the airline's preparatory committee for the 2010 Soccer World Cup to be hosted in South Africa, SAA said. Mamashela, the first black captain at the airline, would lead a team of SAA officials to ensure the airline's readiness for the tournament, SAA CEO Khaya Ngqula said on Wednesday. "Mamashela will liaise directly with members of the tournament's organising body... SAA felt it necessary to appoint a candidate with the operational knowledge and skills required to run an airline completely and efficiently, who would focus on ensuring the airline offered an exceptional experience to all visitors into South Africa during the World Cup," Ngqula said. Mamashela would continue interacting with SAA customers as a flying captain, while undertaking his new responsibility. Mamashela said: "As a first contact for visitors into the country, we will ensure that we meet expectations and offer a superb experience, which is efficient, reliable and safe." He has been with SAA for 13 years and became the airline's first black Captain in 2002. Mamashela operates the airline's Airbus 319-100 aircraft and is also the relief captain on the Airbus A340 range.

farmpilot
7th Jul 2006, 09:46
Haven't SAA missed the boat? EK are the official airline for the 2010 world cup.

PAXboy
8th Jul 2006, 01:24
I don't really want to knock the good intentions here but there is a simple contradiction in the two quotes;
Ngqula said on Wednesday. "Mamashela will liaise directly with members of the tournament's organising body... SAA felt it necessary to appoint a candidate with the operational knowledge and skills required to run an airline completely and efficiently, who would focus on ensuring the airline offered an exceptional experience to all visitors into South Africa during the World Cup,"
So Mamashela will liaise with the organisers and has the capability of running the airline.
Mamashela said: "As a first contact for visitors into the country, we will ensure that we meet expectations and offer a superb experience, which is efficient, reliable and safe."
So Mamashela will liaise with the visitors.

OK, I know that is unkind but it sounds like one man is being asked to do an awful lot and still drive the bus!! But I would guess that the Cape Town power system and the Gautrain and the mini-cab/mini-bus problems will take greater prominence that SAA. Simply because SAA already runs pretty well. Overall, they just have to keep doing what they are doing now and try improve it a bit. Most other folks and companies have to get off the beach and start making plans!

Shrike200
9th Jul 2006, 22:02
What are you talking about?! I mean, we've got a logo for it now! Thats the hard part all done now, isn't it?! ;) ;)

Are they taking bets yet on whether we keep the world cup? :p