PDA

View Full Version : Type 2 Diabetes and Flying

notmyC150v2
7th Jul 2006, 07:42
A friend of mine has just been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes (diet controlled and no medication).

Without having to fork out for the medical to find out, does anyone here know whether he can still get a PPL or does the diagnosis rule him out?

mustafagander
7th Jul 2006, 11:02
I know pilots who are type 2 diabetic and maintain ATPL med status. Type 1 is, however, a big no-no.

Nigel Osborn
8th Jul 2006, 07:19
Type 2 diabetes is well covered in CASA's web site.
If it is controlled by diet alone, you can have a normal license. If you require medication as well, then you are restricted to co-pilot. This is for commercial pilots, not sure about ppls.

Taildragger
10th Jul 2006, 15:39
In the UK, you can fly with Type 1 Diabetes controlled by Insulin on a
National PPL (NPPL) It is restricted to UK airspace, but you can fly solo or
with a Pilot in the right seat rated on the type. This is based on the
UK driving licence. Other UK states are getting their licences together
on the same basis. The person who signs the Medical Certificate is your
own GP, based on the fact that it is he who knows your health best.
It is a gift from heaven and put lots of us back in the sky who were otherwise grounded. A pretty enlightened CAA if you ask me.
How do I know all this.?? I am one of those fortunate people.
Check the CAA website for more info.

Atlas Shrugged
10th Jul 2006, 23:53
Taildragger,

How would you deal with a hypo in that situation? The reason I ask is that my wife is Type 1, has never flown as PIC but has recently made a decision to stop driving.

QSK?
11th Jul 2006, 01:31
I have Type 2 diabetes and there is no restriction on my holding an Australian PPL or flying solo as PIC provided that I meet CASA medical requirements, particurlarly with respect to HBA1C levels (they get a bit nervous if it is >7.9 mmols). I hold both a MEIR and a ME NVFR rating.

The only problem is that the medicals are a bit more rigorous (medical every year, more tests required and therefore more expensive) and your medical certificate can only be renewed by CASA not your DAME, which can cause a delay.

Other than that, no problems.

airbourne
13th Jul 2006, 04:29
Im a type 1 and in Ireland and we can hold nothing! Could I get a NPPL or a PPL in the States and Fly solo in Ireland? I thought that the diabeties would always control my life and it would stop me doing things but Ive gotten used to it. To the poster about his wife stopping driving its not neccessary. After a while you get to spot when your going low, just have the lucozade on hand and she'll be fine. IN time, its really not a big deal!