PDA

View Full Version : Can hours flown in very light aircraft be logged?

mingalababya
7th Jul 2006, 04:50
After many years of absence from flying, I've now caught the bug and again and would like to get back into it. I have a PPL with Night VFR and about 250 hours in typical GA light aircraft (C152, C172, PA44) but would like to have a go flying very light aircraft of the types you see here (http://www.biziworks.com.au/biziworks/BiziGen?ownerID=BIRRELL4&docID=40). I know I'd have to do my medical and BFR before I get current again but just wondering whether I need to do further training to fly the aircraft in the very light category? These types weren't around back in the days I did my PPL. Furthermore, can these hours be logged in my regular logbook and do they count for anything in terms of keeping my PPL current (ie take-off and landing recency) and total aeronautical experience?

QNH1013.2
7th Jul 2006, 07:08
The VLA that you speak of are what we call Ultralights originally administered by the Australian Ultralight Federation, now renamed to become RA-Aus (Recreational Aviation Australia). You will notice that they have rego numbers of the format 24-1234, which means that they are ultralights.

To fly a Recreational Aircraft you will need 5 hours command time in an RA-Aus registered aircraft, such as the Texan which you have probably been looking at on the website on which you attached.

You will also need to join RA-Aus at a cost of around $145 per annum, however they will send you their nice monthly magazine.

RA-Aus administer most of the aircraft up to 544 kilos and that will possibly soon be increased to 750kg's to capture the lower and of the market. You can also fly an LSA (Light Sport Aircraft) with RA-Aus registration up to 600 kg's if you can find one in a school yet as this is only a very new category.

Your hours in the RA-Aus aircrat count towards GA, or put correctly your "total aeronautical experience" however they won't cover you for recency on type for GA. To continue back on GA, you'll of course need a medical and a BFR.

I would expect to be able to fly the aircraft that you speak of, eg. the Texan, you'll be looking at around a minimum of around $800 considering that you'll need a combination of dual and solo time to achieve your RA-Aus "Pilot Certificate."

You will need a tail-wheel endorsement to fly the Drifter that they may still have there, however if you are experienced you'll be able to knock that off in your 5 hours.

I hope that helps your query. PM me if you have any further queries.