PDA

View Full Version : New UK - Australia rights under ASA

Swingwing
7th Jul 2006, 04:03
From News.com:

Limit on British flights lifted

07-07-2006

AIRLINES will be free to fly as often as they want between Australia and the United Kingdom under a new deal announced today.

Transport Minister Warren Truss said under the agreement there would be no limit for Australian or British passenger or cargo airlines on flights between the two countries.
There would also be no limits on code-sharing arrangements.

"This new agreement is an important step in meeting both countries' commitment to a fully-open aviation environment," he said.

"Australian and UK carriers can now freely determine the number of services operated between our two countries."

Previously there had been a limit of 28 services per week for Qantas flights into the UK. British Airways operates 14 services a week, while Virgin Atlantic operates seven.

There had also been a ban on Australian airlines flying to the UK via China, Japan and the US or any services beyond Britain, other than to three points in Europe.

Under the new agreement, the ban on going via China or the US will remain.

However, the ban on points beyond Europe will go.

Mr Truss said Australian airlines now had much more flexibility to serve European markets.

"This is a major step forward towards a fully-liberalised open skies agreement between Australia and the UK," he said.

"Both parties have agreed that we should continue to work together towards a fully-open aviation market, either bilaterally or as part of a comprehensive air services agreement between Australia and the European Union."

The new agreement comes into operation immediately.

Interesting. What implications do people think this will have for (QF) route structure?

And please enlighten me - it wasn't clear to me from the article - does "the ban on points beyond Europe will go" mean full fifth freedom rights ex the UK? And if so, how or where would QF want to exercise them?

cheers

SW

Sunfish
7th Jul 2006, 06:06
Sweet Hypocrisy. Qantas wants "Market forces" to apply to all its suppliers including engineeers and pilots, with the freedom to outsource when and where it wants.

But of course for itself it wants a nice cosy cartel. Guess what? The Australian public will one day wake up to what is being denied them and punish the airline severely.

Shitsu_Tonka
7th Jul 2006, 06:28
I think the routes are pretty much saturated anyway? QF have been reducing services and codesharing. BA and VX are pretty light on their services - net effect: not much?

If the government were really brave they would open it up to 5th freedom rights - and also on the Pacific. But they are not that politically stupid. Nor would I personally condone it as sensible - it would probably be the death of QF. Would that really be of benefit for Australia?

ebt
7th Jul 2006, 06:54
Very good fodder for SIA now to seek the Pacific route as QF were always complaining about not getting rights out of SIN, which was really all about the end destination. The Singaporeans will always allow fifth freedoms to just about anywhere. The master step is when an open skies agreement is reached with the EU, which seems the logical step. The QF will not have much of a leg to stand on when they whinge about letting competitors on the Pacific route

Howard Hughes
7th Jul 2006, 10:52
"This new agreement is an important step in meeting both countries' commitment to a fully-open aviation environment," he said.
"Both parties have agreed that we should continue to work together towards a fully-open aviation market, either bilaterally or as part of a comprehensive air services agreement between Australia and the European Union."Will never be truly open until pilots can freely ply their trade in either country, but I bet that's not on the agenda!:hmm:

Aussie
8th Jul 2006, 00:18
Yeah let me know when that happens!!! :hmm:

Aussie