PDA

View Full Version : Taking the p*ss

The late XV105
6th Jul 2006, 22:56
Flight back from GSE to STN with a certain low cost carrier.
Long queue at the front toilet.

Ding.
Seat belt sign.

"The captain has switched on the fasten seatbelt sign. Please return to your seats immediately"

90 seconds later, in clear air conditions and with the loo queue gone, the First Officer comes out for a leak.

35 minutes later the seat belt signs are still on, without even a hint of turbulence in between, having been forgotten as it turns out; A quick request to the senior cabin crew member elicited a call to the cockpit and the lights going off a nano-second later.

Not the first time I've seen this trick to jump the queue and I guess it won't be the last!

woolyalan
7th Jul 2006, 06:51
I know its wrong what they/he did, but can you not see the funny side?

Read your post and see if it makes you chuckle :)

The world is a much nicer place if you can laugh at everything, including incidents that may p!ss most people off :ok:

Megaton
7th Jul 2006, 07:00
So when would you like him to relieve himself? During the approach? During the landing? The pilots will try to minimise their time away from the flt deck for obvious reasons - standing in a queue for the toilet is not really a good idea.

woolyalan
7th Jul 2006, 08:12
Ham,
I withdraw my post about it bieng wrong, never really thought about it like that

SXB
7th Jul 2006, 08:34
Yes, I can't say I'd be too happy if I saw one of the pilots queuing up for 15 minutes to use the toilet.....

Megaton
7th Jul 2006, 11:37
And, besides, most of our captains, being of advanced years, wouldn't be able to hold on for long :)

The late XV105
7th Jul 2006, 12:26
I know its wrong what they/he did, but can you not see the funny side?

Yes, I actually thought it was funny as well as crafty (me, I would have smply said "excuse me jumping the queue but I have an aeroplane to fly" ) - but then I wasn't one of the SLFs in the loo queue! On a previous occasion it (the seatbelt signs being left on after the leak had been taken) lead to a very unhappy mother whose young son wet himself (and one of M O'L's seats) as he couldn't contain himself any more!

{Edit was to add the clarification in the second brackets for "it"}

wanderin_star
7th Jul 2006, 17:30
What really annoys me is when a female goes into toilet with toilet bag and spends absolutely ages - I assume doing her face, eyes, nails etc... and queue of people almost crossing legs to go. Probably some guys take just as long but when long queue cant peole out of politeness just have quick wee.

buttline
7th Jul 2006, 18:09
With RYR it's actually Standard Operating Procedure to put the seatbelt signs on when one of the pilots goes to the toilet. It's for security.

Normally we check with the No 1 that it's empty / no queue before putting the signs on but you don't always have time on short sectors.

RYR pilots already bring their own tea and coffee to work - maybe you think they should take their own bucket as well? hehe

Seriously, a pilot definately doesn't want the distraction of needing to go whilst flying the approach and (possibly) a go-around and diversion.