PDA

View Full Version : US Army Officer refuses to serve in Iraq

SASless
6th Jul 2006, 14:45
SEATTLE (Reuters) - The U.S. Army filed three charges on Wednesday against an officer who refused to fight in Iraq due to objections over the legality of the war.

First Lt. Ehren Watada, who supporters say is the first commissioned U.S. officer to publicly refuse to serve in Iraq and face a military court, remained at Fort Lewis base in Washington state when his unit shipped out to Iraq on June 22.

Watada called the war and U.S. occupation of Iraq "illegal" and said participation would make him a party to war crimes.

In a statement, the Army said it had charged Watada, 28, with missing movement, contempt toward officials and conduct unbecoming an officer.

"Officers are held to a high moral and legal standard. Acts contrary to this standard may be tried by court-martial," said the Army statement.

If found guilty of all charges, Watada could face several years in confinement, dishonorable discharge and forfeiture of pay, according to the Army. The missing movement charge carries the heaviest punishment of confinement of up to two years.

Watada's lawyer said he expected the missing movement charge, but was somewhat surprised by the decision to charge the officer with contempt toward officials and conduct unbecoming an officer, because it raises free speech issues.

"What he said about the war and the way the war began and the misrepresentations by the Bush administration are all true. Not only does he have a right to make those statements, he has an obligation to make those statements," said Eric Seitz, Watada's Honolulu-based attorney.

"The reasons why they are going after him for the things he said is because they want to muzzle him," Seitz said.

Watada's objection to the war sparked rallies in support and protest near Fort Lewis, Seattle and in other U.S. cities.

Watada, who had said he did not apply for conscientious objector status because he isn't against war in general, now faces a pre-trial investigation and will continue to work at the base, Army officials said.

He first attempted to resign in protest over the war in January, but the Army refused to accept his resignation, according to his supporters. Watada has said he would be willing to serve in Afghanistan, but not Iraq.

Mr-AEO
6th Jul 2006, 14:53
I beleive that we had a similar case in the RAF?

He got found guilty

MarkD
6th Jul 2006, 14:53
I have a lot more respect for this guy who is at least facing the music than the deserters currently fighting deportation in Canada. At least the issue of the war will be front and centre with the US public during his trial and if found guilty he will accept his punishment.

Jeremy Hinzman and his buddies should withdraw their appeals and head to the border today to face trial.

These soldiers are not conscripts and comparisons to the draftees who fled to Canada in the 60s are invalid.

brickhistory
6th Jul 2006, 14:55
Shouldn't the title of this thread have been "US Army Officer refuses to serve in Iraq. Takes new assignment toLeavenworth Disciplinary Barracks"

Last time I checked, we don't get to pick which wars we fight in. Would be a nice option:

"How many of you don't want to go marching up and down the square?"
"Well, I'd like to go practice the piano."
"Right, off you go."
"Now then, which of you lot don't want to go to Iraq?"
"Well, I'm against that one."
"Right, off you go."

Sorry, he was an adult, knew the rules, made a decision to take a stand. Good on him for having the courage, now send him to jail.

South Bound
6th Jul 2006, 15:00
If he genuinely tried to resign then it sounds a bit harsh, but that depends on whether he waited for the deployment order before deciding. He should have resigned as soon as he decided it was not right. Tempted to say that he deserves what's coming...

dallas
6th Jul 2006, 15:00
Shouldn't the title of this thread have been "US Army Officer refuses to serve in Iraq. Takes new assignment toLeavenworth Disciplinary Barracks"

You'll never make a tabloid editor brick: "US Army Officer Applies for Jail"

brickhistory
6th Jul 2006, 15:12
You'll never make a tabloid editor brick: "US Army Officer Applies for Jail"

Thanks!:ok:

jonny5
7th Jul 2006, 09:33
if he is only a first lieutenant then surely he must have joined after the 'invasion' in jan 2003, so what is he doing? septics-not got two braincells to rub together!

Roger Willco
22nd Jul 2006, 10:34
I`m a Lt from Spanish Army (infantry) and I Just canīt understand what can make a Lt staying at home while his Platoon is in a mission.

I will go to Afghanistan whith my Platoom and for me leaving your soldiers when you get your mission is something that only a coward do.

I couldnīt figure out how this Lt coud walk in the streets while the NCO and Enlisted who where training with him are now serving while he is in home.

An Army Oficcer is not suppose to make political considerations you only have to acomplish your mission and TAKE CARE OF YOUR PLATOON

West Coast
23rd Jul 2006, 16:47
Roger Willco has said it well.

As soon as this young lad is found guilty, he should be taken out back and shot.

SASless
23rd Jul 2006, 17:37
Westie,

You forget we have have a prohibition on executing the mentally handicapped thus I think this Moron will survive this although he will surely find hiimself enjoying a new physical fitness regimen that involves making little rocks out of big rocks in Kansas.

brickhistory
23rd Jul 2006, 17:47
Court-martial him, bust him to private, then send him back to his platoon who manned up and went......

MarkD
24th Jul 2006, 19:48
Westie,
You forget we have have a prohibition on executing the mentally handicapped

And to think that pesky Supreme Court only made that ruling in the last year or so...

West Coast
24th Jul 2006, 20:27
Should have been around in the 70's with the ACLU leading the charge if you want to see how the mentally ill were really treated.

brickhistory
24th Jul 2006, 20:30
And to think that pesky Supreme Court only made that ruling in the last year or so...

It's unfortunate that you don't like us or at least our way of muddling through on domestic issues, however, no vote = no opinion that matters. Have a nice day, eh?

MarkD
25th Jul 2006, 21:05
Neil Young has no vote either but he seems to get some people very agitated :}

unlike what you reckon brickhistory I don't hate the US which as a nation transformed the world over the course of the 20th century - though I'm not wild about how the 21st is going so far.

However, I think executing anyone is a bit much and certainly unless you're damn sure they knew what they were doing.

brickhistory
25th Jul 2006, 21:38
Neil Young? Never mind his politics, his music blows! :yuk:

Sorry for the cheap shot then; we'll agree to disagree. I have no problem with capital punishment, other than it usually takes an inordinate amount of time to carry through.

(Yes, I've heard all the arguments on both sides. After thinking about it, I'm for it. Some folks deserve to die, usually their victim didn't.)

mini
25th Jul 2006, 21:49
Strange that the list of charges this young guy faces doesn't include "disobeying a lawful order"... :E

Regardless, morally and professionally his conduct is akin to desertion.