PDA

View Full Version : Risk Assesments - hangar - flying

Head Turner
6th Jul 2006, 13:52
I am having to write a risk assessment(RA) for the hangar which has inside a bunged fuel (Jet A1) storeage tank. The helicopter is moved into/out of the hangar on a aluminium platform on rails by a petrol engined quad bike.
Refuelling takes place outside but husbandry tasks (cleaning) take place inside.

My question is;--

has anyone carried out a RA on their hangar. If so, have you any suggestions on the format or contents of the RA.

Next thought;--

At what point in time do I start this assessment as there are landing and taking off of helicopters. Does the RA begin with the opening of the hangar doors up to the time that a helicopter takes-off from the ground and begin when the helicopter lands until the doors are finally closed or does it extend beyond this time scale?

Is there a requirement to RA flying?

SASless
6th Jul 2006, 15:32
Oh well now...any risk the helicopter landing and taking off might blow off a roof panel or wall panel or other blowing debris that could cause an FOD incident?

The fuel drum bonded (earthed)?
Do you bond (earth) the aircraft inside the hangar?
Spark arrestor on the ATV?
Ventilation carries the petrol fumes away safely?
Sparking hazard in the hangar that is a risk to the fuel storage?

HSE can be so much fun.....where does RA become paranoia?

md 600 driver
6th Jul 2006, 19:11
head turner
send me a pm with your email address and i will send you the blank risk assesment form and one already filled in to show you how to do it
steve

md 600 driver
6th Jul 2006, 19:29
head turner
send me a pm with your email address and i will send you the blank risk assesment form and one already filled in to show you how to do it
steve