PDA

View Full Version : class 1 medical/eye prescription

hoopdreams
6th Jul 2006, 10:22
Hi,

Was wondering if anyone was certain what the limits are on eye prescriptions in obtaining a class 1. My right eye is +2.50 and left eye is +3.50:8 . Should I b ok in the eye sight department with this prescription? I'm eventually going to just go for the medical, but I was hoping to get some concrete information before hand. I would really appreciate any info.

Cheers

Capt Fathom
6th Jul 2006, 10:37
This thread may help...CASA Eyesight (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=229085)

hoopdreams
6th Jul 2006, 12:27
The CASA handbook states that corrections greater than +/-5 dioptres would face complications. Is that figure for each eye individually or both eyes togeather? So two eyes at +3.50, for example, would be ok?

cheers

Ozgrade3
7th Jul 2006, 03:17
Hoopdreams,

The info in the CASA handbook is old and outdated. I have held a class1 medical for 10 years, and been working as a pilot for 6 years, my eyes are -8.0 diptres in each eye and i have no problem passing the medical, just have the restriction that I must wear contact lenses or glasses that give me 6/9 or better vision when exercising the privalages of my licence.

Provided there are no other problems with your eye, of a physiological nature and your colour vision is normal then you will have no problems what so ever.

From experiance, contact lenses work much better for flying than glasses.

Feel free to PM me if you need any more info.

Cheers

OG3

hoopdreams
7th Jul 2006, 04:31
Cheers OG3,

Just to clarify, my right eye being +2.50 and left eye being +3.50, does that make my prescription at +6 dioptres, or is it based on each eye? In other words, what is my dioptres?

Andy_RR
7th Jul 2006, 05:09
hoopdreams,

it's each eye individually, so your +3.50 is compared to what ever limit CASA impose. Don't forget you also need to add any astigmatism correction, usually recorded as 'Cylinder'. So, I have in my LH eye, a +4.50 spherical correction and a +0.50 cylindrical correction at 140°, thus my total maximum prescription became +5.00 (usefully on the limit of the JAR/CAA class 2 initial medical limits:} )

Good luck

A

autobrakes
7th Jul 2006, 06:10
Are there exceptions for loss of colour vision?