PDA

View Full Version : UK taxation of benefits

757operator
6th Jul 2006, 07:32
I'm wondering who is getting taxed on what?

In some companies you pay no tax on allowances but in others you pay tax on a percentage. You hear of pilots getting substantial lumps of sector pay untaxed, which it shouldn't be. Loss of licence insurance is taxed in one company but not another.

If a pilot in Company A gets taxed on his insurance and his mate in Company B is not, can he appeal on the grounds of unfair treatment?

Any thoughts/comments much appreciated, particularly from any tax accountant or tax inspector turned pilot!

Lucifer
6th Jul 2006, 08:11
It depends entirely on the company's agreement with Revenue and Customs I believe - depending upon route structure and cost of overseas nightstops etc.

Doubt you would be able to appeal as the whole package is what they look at. Ask a tax professional if you are considering some action.

Seat1APlease
6th Jul 2006, 08:22
My understanding is that Lucifer is correct in that the revenue agree a package which applies to all in that company.
I was however told that if an individual feels he is paying too much tax, he can submit an individual claim, but he cannot "mix and match" between the two.
In other words you cannot accept the dry cleaning allowance in the approved package but appeal against the LOL.
You would have to justify every item as being necessary exclusively for the purpose of the job etc. etc., including producing receipts for the dry cleaning, and all meals in restaurants overseas.