PDA

View Full Version : Do all RAAF aircraft have TCAS fitted?

Warped Wings
6th Jul 2006, 04:42
I am guessing the larger transport types have TCAS. What about the rest?

josephfeatherweight
6th Jul 2006, 06:03
No, most other military types are not fitted with TCAS. TCAS (in its current form) is not generally considered appropriate for many military operations. The CT4 (used in ab initio training) is fitted with TCAD (Traffic Collision Avoidance Device) and is a VERY basic version of TCAS (no resolution advisory). Other military operations are not always suited to TCAS implementation (ie formation flying/congested training areas), however the ADF is certainly looking at where it can implement TCAS for the future. As you've suggested most transport types have TCAS (eg Challenger, BBJ, Wedgetail and A330 will - but of course these are civilian aircraft) - not sure about C130H or P3. I think the C130J does. PC9s/F18s/F111s don't.

Joe Lighty
"Nobody's ever died from pressing..."

Pass-A-Frozo
6th Jul 2006, 09:12
C130J-30 does.. last time I checked the C-130H didn't... Form isn't a problem , just turn TCAS off etc..

The problem is when someone forms up unbriefed... "CLIMB, DESCEND, CLIMB" .. what the :mad: is going on?! :}

.. and don't forget real men don't go-around.. :}

Lord Snot
6th Jul 2006, 10:58
Why don't they use TCAS in the hornet... they could save a lot of tax-payers bucks using that instead of these multi-million dollar radars we keep reading about. Upgrades.... Bah.

Tired of paying for stuff we don't see benefit from. Use TCAS like we do. It shows where everybody is.

oldm8
6th Jul 2006, 11:25

.. and don't forget real men don't go-around..

With phrases like that I am guessing I know you guys.

Lord Snot: pleeeeeease tell me you're joking.....

bob55
6th Jul 2006, 11:51
Why don't they use TCAS in the hornet... they could save a lot of tax-payers bucks using that instead of these multi-million dollar radars we keep reading about. Upgrades.... Bah.

Tired of paying for stuff we don't see benefit from. Use TCAS like we do. It shows where everybody is.

Well we probably could do that if our enemies promised to keep their transponders on... :ugh:

Bobster
6th Jul 2006, 22:29
And flight planned their attacks. :ugh:

Lord Snot
6th Jul 2006, 23:16
APG73.. HDTWS RGH RWS..??? Pffffffft.......:rolleyes:

With TCAS II you can even see the c***s when they're behind you. And the bitching betty tells you which way to go if you want to hit (or not hit) them. Good for helping aim the gun.

Maybe since the raff don't have HMS they would not be interested in the ability to see the guys behind them.

Gnadenbooger will be along soon to back up my claims here. He knows even more than I do about nerdy mil stuff and which is the best kit for the raff to get.

Lord Snot you seem to really struggle to post in a constructive, or even humorous, way. I think you could benefit from a week off to ponder your chosen style and content

Woomera

PLovett
7th Jul 2006, 01:09
Would have thought the F/A 18 and F 111 don't need TCAS. They have other bits of very expensive kit to make you get out of the way. :ok:

Keg
7th Jul 2006, 04:17
Yes, I would have thought that the F18 and F111 TCAS was otherwise known as a 'targeting radar' or some other similar name! :E

Chimbu chuckles
7th Jul 2006, 08:42
And an RA is handled rather well by an AIM 9Z or whatever they are up to these days:}

Man we could really have some fun with those in a Boeing:E

haughtney1
7th Jul 2006, 08:50
Where would we fit them on the 76 Chimbu?....I reckon we could bounce a 330 in the 75 or 76....make them pitch up a little too quick..exceed the envelope protection...and wham the wingtips come off! a kill with no missles:E

Pass-A-Frozo
7th Jul 2006, 10:00
Hey Woomera,

I thought it was generally seen as a fun wind up. He's ex-RAAF I believe.. just having a joke..

However.. what you say does go around here :)

Taildragger67
7th Jul 2006, 11:30
Where would we fit them on the 76 Chimbu?....I reckon we could bounce a 330 in the 75 or 76....make them pitch up a little too quick..exceed the envelope protection...and wham the wingtips come off! a kill with no missles:E

Surely wouldn't be too hard to fit up a winglet with a rail & a few wires? :}

Maybe stick cross-hairs on those forward-looking cams wot EK have...

Actually that's a thought - make life a bit more interesting for the punters if the sky-cams had HUD info! While we're at it, can we make one of the IFE channels just reproduce the primary flight display and/or the Progress page off the FMS?

Capt. Queeg
7th Jul 2006, 11:35
They don't like the punters having access to too much information in case the drivers over-cook it and screw the pooch. Remember when some US airline had an audio channel for listening to the currently-tuned COM1 freq?

All kinds of cock-ups on ATC began to stress out the pax.

Imagine being stuck in the back watching the "HUD" info and seeing the guys reducing below Vcl with no flap symbology appearing, with the G/S symbol way off the top of the scale, etc, etc.... Much better to die unawares rather than see it coming!

Taildragger67
7th Jul 2006, 11:44
Remember when some US airline had an audio channel for listening to the currently-tuned COM1 freq?

UA had that running for some time after 11/09/01 - at least well into '02 (last time I flew 'em).

haughtney1
7th Jul 2006, 12:37
Imagine being stuck in the back watching the "HUD" info and seeing the guys reducing below Vcl with no flap symbology appearing, with the G/S symbol way off the top of the scale, etc, etc.... Much better to die unawares rather than see it coming!

Vcl....? huh thats a new Vspeed on me..is that a plastic bus term?:}