PDA

View Full Version : AO Wet Lease

missleadfoot
5th Jul 2006, 17:27
Thankyou to all of you who suported AO, we all had a good time and we are looking forward to the the future. As we all know AO is now a "wet lease" operation currently hired to operate certain Qantas routes on behalf of Qantas. We have our own aircraft, pilots and cabin crew and our own AOC. This is a similar set up to AWAS. I understand that at the moment we represent Qantas, but as or if we grow we could actually be contracted to represent other airlines world wide if they choose to select AO as their prefered lessor. Are we completely contracted to QF (they own our aircraft), or are we able to expand our operation to be available on the "wet lease" market?

Avid Aviator
6th Jul 2006, 10:39
Rubbish.
You have a few borrowed Qantas aircraft (soon to be repainted in Qantas colours), borrowed QF pilots (trained and kept licenced by Qantas Training) and fly only on Qantas routes.
You are a low cost wing of Qantas and will fly where they want you to fly, for what they want to pay you (which will be a lot less than the crew were paid for that work before you came along).
Enjoy your time up there, but don't forget where AO fits into the big picture!

rescue 1
6th Jul 2006, 12:34
Missleadfoot, I don't think that you will be allowed to "wet lease" for any other operators. You may do the Captains Tours now though given the lower cost base.

Jetconnect (a QF Group company with an AOC) in NZ are restricted to only operating for QF.

Good luck with the new venture.

flyagain1day
7th Jul 2006, 01:42
avid aviator, Lose the bags of your shoulders mate.:= :=
She was only asking a question. :rolleyes:

rammel
7th Jul 2006, 02:29
It's a valid question and perhaps if anyone in QF had any foresight rather than cutting costs, they could make some money out of whatever AO is now. If it is set up to wet lease aircraft, then why not chase a whole new market of charter type tours. I don't know if this would make money or be worth it, but they do need to think of ways to grow the business other than cutting costs (staff).

max autobrakes
7th Jul 2006, 15:13
Heck!
Why don't they just gut out the entire company and just "Wet Lease" every thing like Jimmy the Bow Tie alluded to years ago.
Yeh gads is that why he's back ?

missleadfoot
9th Jul 2006, 11:37
Gee, I was only asking a question and thanks "rammel" and "flyagain1day" for sticking up for me. I thought this was a constructive website but "avid aviator" seems to have forgotten that. I did state in my original post that QF own our aircraft which by the way at the time of me writing that post had already been repainted back to QF colours, and have since been deployed on the domestic network. The point of my question was not to get a reminder of what we are or have been or where we stand within the QF group but to get an idea of what could lie ahead as we are now "Australian Airlines Wet Lease", a company owned by Qantas. We have a contract to Qantas at the moment but all I was asking was if anyone knew if it was possible in the future for further expansion as a wet lease company. Thanks to those who did give me some realistic info. I don't appreciate people like "avid aviator" making comments that just are not true. We certainly don't have a few "borrowed" aircraft, Australian Airlines lease the aircraft we operate and they are OGQ, OGR, OGS, OGT & OGU. The only reason I asked this question in the first place is because as a wet lease company there could be many oportunities available as a business in the future as or if we grow. I only wanted to know your ideas on whether or not that was possible, not to be told the obvious, that we are cheaper etc, we all know that.

Wizofoz
9th Jul 2006, 12:13
an idea of what could lie ahead as we are now "Australian Airlines Wet Lease",

Qantas routes in Qantas colours with Qantas passengers for lower than Qantas terms and conditions.

Next question?

missleadfoot
9th Jul 2006, 12:21
Could you please explain the "lower terms and conditions" that we work under? How bad do you think our conditions are? I've just read on the QF post some of the sectors they do and I for one am certainly not jumping to grab those. Although they are great destinations the patterns are dreadful.

Sistema
9th Jul 2006, 23:16
Qantas routes in Qantas colours with Qantas passengers for lower than Qantas terms and conditions

But you missed the most important point.. better then Qantas. :D

MissLeadFoot.. Your questions also run through my head. I'm also interested if anyone knows if as AO we are reg 5 A/C, but are we limited to only having a crew compliment for 5 A/C. Did a NRT yesterday went up and back on A/C that were not 'AO' reg A/C.. :confused:

Anyone know?

LucyLou
9th Jul 2006, 23:42
From what i was told - we are able to be leased to other companies. I dont know alot of details, but from what Andrea told us at the forum it could open us up to some great opportunities IF other companies are interested. Please correct me if im wrong! ;)

LucyLou
10th Jul 2006, 00:35
BC - So whats on the ICAN then?! :E Remember we all were new once...;)

AO-It's going to be like Ansett all over again. "At Ansett...." "At Ansett..." "At Ansett...." GOD I HOPE NOT!!!!!!!!!!! :ugh:

B A Lert
10th Jul 2006, 04:13
From what i was told - we are able to be leased to other companies. I dont know alot of details, but from what Andrea told us at the forum it could open us up to some great opportunities IF other companies are interested. Please correct me if im wrong! ;)

Yes you could possible be leased to other companies but my take on this is that you have fallen victim, big time, to 'SPIN'. Why would Qantas lease AO crew to someone else they can save heaps by using them instead of its own crew? Reality dose required.

LucyLou
10th Jul 2006, 04:55
B A Lert - True!! Shame we couldnt pick up some other flying though! Wonder what QF has install for us next :hmm: