PDA

View Full Version : Qantas cadetship questions

autobrakes
5th Jul 2006, 07:11
G'day,

I have a few questions on the Qantas cadetship i'd like to ask. How much does the training approx cost, on the website it only states atleast.

Is intake going to increase anytime soorn with all the a/c ordes due in? Is there any advantage in obtaining a uni degree before applying, if not is it better to apply during the last yr of school or the yr after? Also, i've been told by some that a CV with the app forms doesn't make a difference and by some others that it's very important, can someone please shed some light on this?

It also seems that in past courses there have been more stage 2 cadets than stage 1 cadets, is there a preference by Qantas?

Your advice and inputs would be greatly appreciated.

LookinDown
5th Jul 2006, 10:09
Hi Autobrakes,

Costs very much dependant on personal circumstances, training organisation (only 2 to choose from), endorsements, and living costs (live-in, find own accommodation, eat once a day,etc).

I think if you added 10% to advertised training cost you would be somewhere near the mark. Finding your own low cost accommodation (and please do eat regularly) can save big $ over the 6-12 months. Ideally with a couple of other cadets so that you can swat together.

If you are applying straight from school, a degree in aviation might not gain you much extra consideration and will take a lot of time and $. It might well however carry more weight when applying for postions in GA, especially as competition for positions continues to increase. This is bound to draw some responses so will suit up in my armour immediately after posting.

A CV is extremely important when applying for any professional position. I imagine cadetship applications are carefully scrutinised for broad academic success, leadership, excellent communication skills, a genuine demonstrated interest in aviation, team player, well rounded lifestyle involving sport and leisure activities and community involvement. So its well worth spending time on your CV. It is something that you will use a number of times during your working life and is something that will be added to and evolve as you gain more life and work experiences.

As for when it is best to apply, thats a hard one. Generally speaking, if you have come from a supportive and pleasant home environment, you won't yet be equipped to deal with some of the hard nosed gentlemen and ladies that you will come up against in the work environment. I would recommend getting some work after school for up to a year while you continue to pick away at early flying training. During this time you'll gain people skills that family life generally just can't provide.

As to cadet stages, there have been more stage 2 of late but I dont know that one stage is perferred over another necessarily. Maybe applying for Stage 1 means that you can go away and work on your situation if you are unsuccessful and still have another crack at Stage 2.

Good Luck.