PDA

View Full Version : Rumor has it COPA is hiring foreigners...

Fulkrum
5th Jul 2006, 01:15
Greetings all!!! Encountered a South American pilot at MIA who told me COPA is hiring foreigners, this is the second time in one month I heard the same thing, the first time I heard it from a TACA pilot in GUA, said he'd seen an ad in a newspaper in San Salvador (El Salvador). I'll call COPA in Panama tomorrow sometime during the day and will get more information for all of those interested in winging it towards PANAMA.

Once again this is just a rumor, I will confirm it with them and will supply information for everyone to read, I also heard they're getting something like 20 EMB-190's and need crews for both B-737's and the 190's. (Something about pilots migrating towards other airlines offering better pay in India and some other parts of Asia, thus a shortage.)

Cheers!!!!!!!!!!

Panama Jack
5th Jul 2006, 09:20
Wouldn't surprise me. A friend of mine who is a COPA Captain, who for the longest time told me that unless I was a Panamanian citizen no-chance mentioned that this might be changing soon. COPA is growing, but pay, benefits, and work conditions remain austere compared to what expat NG pilots can earn these days in Asia. COPA being cleaver and one-step ahead, refuses to let COPA pilots holding a US FAA Certificate get a Type Rating on that-- the privledges are on their Panamanian Licence, but since Panama is an ICAO state this should not be too much of an impediment to get expat contacts in non N-numbered contracts.

Saturn
7th Jul 2006, 20:37
Any contact info on flying for COPA? Nothing on the web site and the HR site does not lead anywhere. Does anyone know where COPA does there training? Thanks.

Airmike767
7th Jul 2006, 21:30
Copa trains at the Continental Training center in Houston. Instructors are retired CO Captains.

Saturn
7th Jul 2006, 23:29
Thanks for the info:p

Panama Jack
8th Jul 2006, 08:18
Wouldn't surprise me that they start looking in El Salvador before outside of Latin America. I was explained, years ago, that COPA hires Panamanians, but when not available, prefers Central Americans due to cultural, historical and linguistic commonality.

Fulkrum
9th Jul 2006, 23:07
That means I still stand a chance of flying something big, being from cental america I`ll jump the chance before going to a regional in the USA, I´m in GUA and loving it here, people are just great, the culture is good, beer is cold and the food very tasty!!! lol, have a great weekend y´all, heading back to the states on monday and not really looking forward to my BACK TO REALITY CHECK.:bored: