PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Keyboard Problem,

BRL
4th Jul 2006, 19:46
My laptop keyboard has mind of it's own, Some keys will not work and the enter key will not work either. The direction keys do some bizzare things when pressed.

Is there a default setting anywhere?

Using the On-Screen Keyboard is a pain. :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

BOFH
4th Jul 2006, 21:20
Ouch - I kmow the feeling, and have two laptops permanently on KVM as a result.

Do you know if anything _physical_ happened to it? If the enter key is broken, it suggests that it's physical damage or malfunction - not software related. Try firing up Knoppix from disc and see if th kbd reacts properly.

The next thing is Hoover or compressed air and vigorous (!) inversion. After that, it's separation for a date with Mr Methanol, with a good chance you might lose the lot.

Severe bummer. Good luck
BOFH

Conan the Librarian
4th Jul 2006, 22:29
Just do a quick check, because it caught me out initially. Because the laptop KB is not a full sized and full featured thing, there is often a shortcut key that will put half of the KB in numeric mode, for instance.

Conan

BRL
4th Jul 2006, 23:07
using the on screen one now. I will type the keys on the lappy as they come out..........

12345678970-=
qwertyouioup[]#
asdfg#hklj;
zxcv

When i press the y key, the screen goes to fullscreen.

When i press the left arrow key, it produces the letter k.

No spacebar or enter key either :confused:

DBTL
5th Jul 2006, 02:08
Try if the problem appears also with an external USB keyboard.

frostbite
5th Jul 2006, 12:04
Sounds to me as if the decoder chip might have some grot laying on it.

As I understand it, the signal along the relatively few lines running from the kb to the processor have to be 'interpreted' to establish precisely which key has been pressed. If there is something shorting any of these, the result could be as you describe.

Someone's going to take the pee out of that, but it's the best way I can describe it.

BRL
5th Jul 2006, 12:08
Thanks. Done a system restore and have taken it out to clean it. Still no joy.

It is hard work using this on-screen one!!!!!!

Conan the Librarian
5th Jul 2006, 12:29
A useful and cheap little gadget might be an external USB keyboard and mouse, while you ponder the problem. If you have to use the thing on the move there might be a Bluetooth PDA keyboard, (and dongle if needed for the laptop) which would be a lot smaller and maybe less inconvenient. Neither of these solutions are good, but in the interim and if the laptop is mission critical, you might want to think about it.

Conan

Saab Dastard
5th Jul 2006, 13:38
Hi, BRL -

Do you still have the "ANY" key?

Then just "Change user and press any key"

:p

I'll get me coat...

frostbite
5th Jul 2006, 19:52
Just a thought. It may have a dry solder joint.

If you have a small soldering iron, find the section where the ribbon cable connects to the keyboard, add a small amount of solder to each connection - just long enough to see the joint melt.

If you can do the same at the other end of the cable, even better.

DBTL
5th Jul 2006, 20:59
Ouch, the cable will just melt away! There're no old skool ribbon cables in portables any longer, just thin strips of conductive material on plastic. I say better locate a keyboard donor.