PDA

View Full Version : Travel City Direct 747-300s - Questions

Riker
4th Jul 2006, 16:48
I know that Travel City Direct 743s are operated by Air Atlanta Icelandic. I am also well aware that AAI has never paid well and that it basically has a somewhat bad reputation for a number of reasons (according to past posts). Nonetheless, I have a few questions for anyone who knows about this operation:

1. Are pilot bases solely in LGW and MAN?

2. Are the 743s primarily flown to SFB from MAN and LGW or do they serve other destinations on a regular basis (beyond just adhoc)?

3. Do Capts and FOs have 747 type ratings when hired?

4. Is Travel City Direct's call sign "EXPO"? I have heard that a few times.

5. Lastly, if conditions/pay truly are so bad at AAI, why do pilots stay? Why not just leave and fly for Easy, Ryan or EK (if nothing else available)?

Cheers

The Yank
4th Jul 2006, 23:22
In a nut shell... Travel City Direct (TCD) is apart of the Avion Group along with Air Atlanta Icelandic (AAI), Excel Airways and others. Excel (in part) run the contract for TCD using G and TF 767 and 757 on a UK AOC and they wet lease the 747's from AAI (sort of). The 747's are crewed by both AAI and Excel Flight Deck and Excel Cabin Crew.

1.The Excel crew are based in MAN and LGW all year round. The AAI crew are not.

2. Yes, in the summer, but winter is more varried, and will be expanding

3. Yes and No

4. Yes... Excels call sign.

5. The pay is not that bad (not great) and neither is the longhaul life style!

Hope this helps ;)

AAIGUY
5th Jul 2006, 06:22
AAI does pay well..

better than many legacy carriers these days, better than Emirates.

Devils Martini
5th Jul 2006, 10:53
Just to clarify re: callsign,

The jumbos operate some sectors for Excel when not operating their own schedule during which time they use "EXPO" as the callsign. Otherwise it's "SNOWBIRD" I think.

lurkio
5th Jul 2006, 14:59
Expo it is, unless of course they are covering for MYT, MON, EZY etc.

ikea monster
5th Jul 2006, 20:28
Hi Lurkio - Bet using the MYT c/s gets in your teeth !!!! Off to VS

The Yank
6th Jul 2006, 09:04
AAI does pay well..
better than many legacy carriers these days, better than Emirates.

Sorry should have been clear. Excel's pay is not great... but not bad. AAI guys do get a better deal even if some don't see it that way. ;)

"Snowbird" was Air Atlanta Europe, but no longer