PDA

View Full Version : Touch control

OllyBeak
4th Jul 2006, 01:23
Didn't know whether to post this here or on Jet Blast. You lost!

Serious question: Now that I'm very, very old and retired, I seem to have acquired a secondary career - lecturing/speaking. Many of the places in which I commit this activity have a lectern that incorporates a flat screen monitor. All the controls for lights, sound, screen, DVD playing, etc, are icons on said screen.

For some reason I can't operate any of these things! I stab at the 'buttons' and they refuse to acknowledge that stabbing has occurred. Then some wise guy from the first row saunters over, nonchalantly lays a finger on the screen and the DVD starts (or whatever).

I have the same problem with some lift controls. If 'Erindoors isn't with me I have to wait until another body enters and sneers at the wrinkled idiot who hasn't the sense to press the button for the floor he needs.

Do I lack earthing ability? Is it overly dry hands? I suppose I could test that by licking a finger, or by kissing a lift button... A cure?

Thanks in advance for any hints, tips, used fivers, etc.

Cheers,

DG101
4th Jul 2006, 09:26
Olly

Your hands are probably too dry. Licking your finger may help, but then you may find that your finger is too wet, and you will get unpredictable results.

The waxy secretion taht can be found in the "pocket" behind your ear lobe should provide enough conductivity for these devices to register your touch. Of course, you will then be leaving a trail of grubby fingerprints everywhere ...

DG

OllyBeak
5th Jul 2006, 23:09
Thank you kindly, sir (or madam?) for that.

Yesterday I gobbed on my fist and tapped the screen. I am still alive and the thing obeyed me.

Not that thrilled by the thought of smearing ear wax over every operable surface, so maybe I need to carry around a little tin with a damp sponge in it!'

Thanks and cheers,

Ol.