PDA

View Full Version : Any surfer pilot here?

Cha
3rd Jul 2006, 05:25
Hi! If you are a surfer, is there any way of protecting your eyes from the sun while you are surfing?

splatt
3rd Jul 2006, 11:45
Hi Cha,
Ex-body boarder, wannabe pilot here. Now living in the UK bit too far inland to make regular trips to the beach but seem to remember from the south african surf mags I used to read as a kid that there are companies who make surf goggles specifically with UV/glare protection in mind.

Depending where you surf rocks may pose a hazard to surfers wearing eye protection. That said if your going to smash your goggles into a rock whilst wearing them you would have hit your head anyway but with goggles its that much more dangerous coz your eye can be poked by the shards.

I found this very general page: http://www.sporteyes.com/water.htm it deals quite well with the topic and mentions some of the brands. Not sure if all are available in Australia though.

splatt

rodthesod
3rd Jul 2006, 15:05
Hi,

I use 'Sundogs' myself for windsurfing/kiteboarding. They have built in adjustable strap, flotation chamber and I think the lenses are shatterproof. They look cool too.

rts:cool:

Cha
9th Jul 2006, 11:32
Thanks both of you. As everyone's getting skin cancer here in Aus, I thought it is very important to protect eyes while surfing too. Next thing I have to worry about is how to keep sharks away as my friend's friend got killed.