PDA

View Full Version : C CAT AUCKLAND NZ

eagle206
3rd Jul 2006, 03:28
Hi All

Just wanting some ideas looking at doing a C cat in the Auckland Area, what companies/organisations would you recommend?

Thanks
eagle 206

Healey 3000
4th Jul 2006, 03:28
Eagle Flight Training at Ardmore Airfield. Contact Mike Foster.

Cloud Cutter
4th Jul 2006, 04:35
I second that. Also maybe have a chat to Auckland Aero Club. The key is to find somewhere that can offer you employment after you've done your C-Cat.

If it's not too far from you, you could also try North Shore Aero Club.

What time is ECT?
5th Jul 2006, 06:34
There are four (at least) training places at which you can do a C Cat. But why do you want a C Cat? Do you want free hours, or another hobby, or to further you own training? Are you paying for it yourself? Are you going to study full or part time?

The C Cat is a lot of hard work - possibly the hardest exam you will ever do.

In order from the gate:

1. Ardmore Flying School. Make sure that you are very rich because the cost is greatest here. Support base is big though, and you will probably have a job at the end (although no C Cat works for money - only love). Two-Handed 172 flyers.

2. The Auckland Aero Club. Good if you like grrrrr-ummans. Next to Cafe that serves good coffee.

3. Airline Flying Club. Best Value rates on the field flying Cessna 152's. Plenty of coffee drinkers, students to practice briefings on, and the most experienced and popular instructors on the field (1 x A Cat Flight Examiner, 3 x B Cat, 5 x C Cat, and D Cats). Check www.airlineflyingclub.tk

4. Eagle Flight Training. Better value than #1 and #2, but can't tell you the pass rate ('cos I don't know). They fly 172's - but only one hand on controls.

5. not sure if Technam are training C Cats.

Good Luck on your journey with the C Cat.
Just Remember - you are the customer, and if you are not happy with where you are going, then your training is transferable (unless locked into student loan). Take the time to visit all the places and ask the hard questions.

ECT???

27/09
5th Jul 2006, 09:18
(although no C Cat works for money - only love). Must be an Auckland thing, C Cat's I know of get paid. Any organisation that doesn't pay their C cats is undermining the value of the instructor rating.

Cloud Cutter
5th Jul 2006, 09:34
It's not that they don't get paid, it's just not much. Pretty standard throughout the country. You won't get work at Ardmore Flying School if you only do a C-Cat there. No-one teaches students to fly a 172 with two hands. It can be useful to get people to flare with two hands while they are getting that bit sorted out, and I think this is what ECT is eluding to.

Waka Rider
5th Jul 2006, 14:39
I use two hands in the flare with a 777 but personally prefer four down route. Good luck with the C Cat its hard work but helpful in the long run

27/09
5th Jul 2006, 21:05
Perhaps I should have added in my earlier post that as well as actually getting paid, the C cats I know of are paid more than pilots at some well known third level operators. They can live on what they are paid without needing a second job.

It can be useful to get people to flare with two hands while they are getting that bit sorted out Hmmm....... If a student needs two hands for this in a C172 they are going to have real problems when they fly the bigger brothers to the 172 i.e. C182 and C206 etc, and other aircraft types larger than the C172.

eagle 206, CC mentioned that AFS won't employ you as a C Cat if the only training you have done with them is your C cat. This applies to a lot of places, in fact many wont train you full stop. As part of your process of selecting a place to train for your C cat you need to find some where that is prepared to supervise you and will give you work after they have trained you.

You need to be able to consolidate your training (and build hours and experience to get your B cat) and very few places will take on a green C cat that they did not train themselves.

Cloud Cutter
5th Jul 2006, 21:09
I would imagine they won't be moving from the 172 until they do have it sorted out:ok: It's not a big deal is all i'm saying.

Capt. On Heat
5th Jul 2006, 22:17
Ardmore Flying School. Two-Handed 172 flyers.:D :D :D
Hahaha. Very Good ECT! I think some took your point too seriously and missed it!!!:cool: Also they wont want you to do a flight test if there's more than 5-10 kts of wind!!!:yuk: :yuk: :yuk:
Don't forget, as a 'C' you need to go out and find your own students there too.

CougarNZ
5th Jul 2006, 22:33
sounds a better set up in Auckland than futher south , where you pay a $6250 internship to get out of supervision

re my thread on internships !!

haughtney1
5th Jul 2006, 22:45
use two hands in the flare with a 777 but personally prefer four down route. Good luck with the C Cat its hard work but helpful in the long run

Aww now come on Waka...what about those practise auto-lands????

flyby_kiwi
6th Jul 2006, 04:58
If a student needs two hands for this in a C172 they are going to have real problems when they fly the bigger brothers to the 172 i.e. C182 and C206 etc, and other aircraft types larger than the C172.

Well I always used two hands in a C172 and managed to move onto larger tyes ok, infact much larger than a C172 they start putting those electric trim thingies on the control wheel so now i use two hands and hold the electric trim back to help me flare - seems to work fine but someone once accussed me of being a lazy c*nt :rolleyes: Never brought into the BS of flying S&L in the cruise with one hand on the throttle either actually :confused:

Waka Rider
6th Jul 2006, 05:57
Haughtney bro the skipper did a practise auto land yesterday due to heavy rain into LHR. Mate for me every landings a practise only do 2-3 a month if lucky. What I am trying to hint at is if your training organisations SOP's is either one or two handed isn't a good idea to follow that for standards.

Haughtney when you next home?

diseasel
15th Jul 2006, 08:42
Must be an Auckland thing, C Cat's I know of get paid. Any organisation that doesn't pay their C cats is undermining the value of the instructor rating.

What value would that be? Have you read part 61 and/or AC61-1.5 recently?