PDA

View Full Version : plane in mid-air scare

an-124
3rd Jul 2006, 00:22
Barassi plane in mid-air scare
July 03, 2006
AFL legend Ron Barassi is lucky to be alive after his plane had engine trouble about 15 minutes after take-off from Victoria's Essendon airport yesterday.

Barassi, 70, was on his way to Portland when an engine on the chartered Australasian Jets twin-engine Cessna overheated.
The 10-time premiership player and coach was one of 10 passengers on board and said he wasn't aware of the full extent of the mid-flight emergency.

"It was a pretty cloudy sky and the depth of cloud was pretty thick so it made it all a bit spooky for all on board," Barassi said yesterday.

"The plane shuddered a bit and I looked up and just put my head back in my suduko.

"I didn't know we were coming home and I saw the city of Melbourne beneath us and I thought to myself, 'We're flying pretty low. I wonder why this is?'

Advertisement:
"From what I understand, everyone else knew what was going on.

"I just sat there with my head down concentrating on my suduko, but the consequences in the other direction weren't too good at all."

Barassi, a Victorian Country Football League ambassador, was flying to Portland to promote yesterday's Western Border Football League match between Portland and Heywood.

He praised the efforts of the pilot who prevented a mid-air catastrophe.

"It was the first time he'd ever landed a plane in those circumstances," Barassi said. "He'd done it before in practice and training planes, so he did it very well."

VCFL marketing manager Graeme Allen, who was in the co-pilot's seat, confessed he feared the plane would not make it back to the airport.

"I thought it was reasonably bad," Mr Allen said. "It could have been really nasty.

"We took off about 10.20 and we were about 15 minutes into it and one of the engines seized.

"We had 10 people on the plane, so it was a full load with one engine that was really struggling to get back."

Mr Allen said the remaining engine only just allowed the plane to reach the airport.

"The pilot started tapping buttons and carrying on, made a few calls and sirens were going in the plane then the engine just stopped," he said.

"The pilot looked very concerned but he did a mighty job, I might add.

"We were flying through fog with one engine seized and the other engine struggling to get us home, so much so that when we landed, that engine didn't have enough to tow us along the runway.

"I was trying to reassure everyone all the way through the flight, but I did s--- myself, I tell you."

Australasian Jets refused to comment and would not reveal the name of the pilot.

RENURPP
3rd Jul 2006, 00:28
HAAA HAAA HAA thats a funny one, what is he on I want some.:) :) :) :)

tobzalp
3rd Jul 2006, 00:31
My condolences to all that lost loved one in that tragic event.

Woomera
3rd Jul 2006, 01:22
Mr Allan is obviously very competent and knowledgable on matters aviation. I'm sure this would have been a tragic disaster had he not been in the co pilot's seat........

Mr Barassi was obviously terrified "and just put (his) head back in (his) suduko" to console himself in his final moments.

:mad: :mad:

Sunny Woomera

ZK-NSN
3rd Jul 2006, 01:26
Well done to the pilot, good to see he followed the engine failure checklist although he obviously missed step 3.

1 Buttons - Tapped
2 Calls- Make a few
3 Use crash axe to knock out the tool passenger beside you - completed
Sirens will indicate when engine has "seized"

rmcdonal
3rd Jul 2006, 01:46
"seized" or did the pilot feather it? If you didn't know better then a feathered prop could look seized.

"that engine didn't have enough to tow us along the runway" how many twins can taxi on 1 with a full load without going around in circles?

"Mr Allen said the remaining engine only just allowed the plane to reach the airport." ok thats just funny. Even when both the engines are going it only just makes it to the runway. :ugh:

But hey it makes for a griping read.
Glad to hear everyone is safe, Congrats to the pilot for getting it home. :ok:

Atlas Shrugged
3rd Jul 2006, 01:54
Surprised it didn't "Plummet from the sky in a Death Plunge"

PennyBenjamin
3rd Jul 2006, 02:01
good work to the pilot under difficult circumstances, it sounds about as hard as it gets, bad wx, heavy machine and one donk. well done.

PS. What sort of a/c? Chieftan or 404??

A37575
3rd Jul 2006, 02:48
For Woomera (s). Just curious to know the rules of engagement for Woomera? Unless adjudicating on matters of contention where you use your honourable title with all the respect that it is due - should you not be using a normal private user-name if you wish to input your personal views on the chat line that is Pprune. Today's discussion points on the Ron Barassi flight incident is a case in point. This is not meant to be disrespectful, of course - merely an observation.

Buster Hyman
3rd Jul 2006, 02:49
The pilot started tapping buttons and carrying on

Geez! I should've been a Pilot! Even I can tap & carry on!

chief wiggum
3rd Jul 2006, 04:08
We were flying through fog ...

He must have been low!

bushy
3rd Jul 2006, 05:10
It IS possible to taxi a twin with only one negine going, if you know how. You can even turn towards the live engine.

But they don"t teach that at flying school.

Woomera
3rd Jul 2006, 06:10
And A37575, I was simply making an unbiased observation based on the very logical and technically competent media article posted by an-24. Mr Allen's reported comments indicate he is very qualified to make the highly technical aviation assessment and comments attributed to him.

And the article confirms Mr Barassi did indeed believe his final moments had arrived.

As we all know, engine failures in piston engine aircraft never occurs, pilots are not trained in engine failure procedures and after an engine failure, the second engine only takes one to the scene of the crash - in this case, an airport with no damage to the aircraft. Bravo Mr Allen! :D

Obviously Mr Burassi thought his final moments had arrived and he, along with all the passengers and pilot were indeed furtunate Mr Allen was able to save the aircraft and it's occupants.

I also suspect the ATSB would now be clamouring to engage the media article's author David Hastie, who has demonstrated great investigative ability in the matter of aircraft incidents! :D

I merely expressed an obvious observation, not a personal opinion! :}

Sunny Woomera

P.S. Mr Allen's technical assistance not withstanding, I believe the pilot should also be applauded for his excellent training and professionalism. Well done that man! :D

Sunfish
3rd Jul 2006, 06:23
The weather yesterday wasn't exactly brilliant. Well done that man!

PennyBenjamin
3rd Jul 2006, 09:02
what about the Fugro 404 engine failure? all that have flown the titan know how although it is a great machine, there are times where you just hope those engines keep chuggin!!

Creampuff
3rd Jul 2006, 10:32
Chuckled first.

Belly laughs followed.

Abdominal cramps and crying in hysterics ensued.

ZK-NSN: thanks for the stomach cramps ya b*stard!

PS: Well done PIC.

The Gimp
3rd Jul 2006, 11:54
And here I was thinking it was you Sactaf. :cool:

Fantastic stuff. :D

The Gimp.

PS Whats going on with the Cats???

Islander Jock
3rd Jul 2006, 15:01
It IS possible to taxi a twin with only one negine going, if you know how. You can even turn towards the live engine

Does that include BN2s with free casting nosewheel? Best I could manage was nice turns on the spot!

bushy
4th Jul 2006, 00:22
Most pilots and operators who have sucessfully operated the 404 for a long time will tell you it is a very good aeroplane, and very reliable if the engines are handled properly. And they are usually VERY fussy about exactly how the engines are handled.

I remember one ooperator who had all the latest Cessna gear and a lot of gung ho young men to operate them. He was going to put everyone else out of business.

His fleet included two brand new C404's which kept on having engine troubles. Serious ones. I saw one of the engines, and it had major cracking of the crankcase, and one of the magnetos had come completely off, taking a large portion of the crankcase with it. He soon sold the titans as his organisation could not operate them reliably. We were not surprised that this operator soon went out of business.

Yet many other operators have operated them for long periods, and love them. Those engines are like women. They will do lots of good things, but they need loving care.