PDA

View Full Version : PPRUNE Spam

Land After
2nd Jul 2006, 21:26
Starting on the 27/6 I've started to get spam into my PPRUNE registered email address.

I don't ever send mail from this account. In fact it's not an account, it's <name>@mydomain.com.

Nobody knows the email addy other than PPRUNE and I've only had a password reset mail back in 2003.

Tha <name> would be hard to guess and I've hand no random hits on the domain. I run a Mac and I'm pretty sure that my mail is secure.

So, how did the spammers get the address? :confused:

frostbite
2nd Jul 2006, 21:46
Are you sure it's addressed to name@whatever?

My email can be [email protected], in other words absolutely anything of any name @myco.co.uk will arrive in the same mailbox.

Land After
2nd Jul 2006, 23:02
Are you sure it's addressed to name@whatever?

My email can be [email protected], in other words absolutely anything of any name @myco.co.uk will arrive in the same mailbox.

Oh yes - it's <myname>@mydomain.com. It's my standard anti-spam, traceability of source...... I've found the source and want to know how/why.

aspinwing
2nd Jul 2006, 23:20
Since resetting my cookies recently, I have had a huge increase in spam. I use my standard address on pprune, but that is about to change.
I have had couple of 'detailed' discussions with the staff of my ISP. Some of the spam comes to my regular address however, a goodly number come addressed to the same ISP but with a different name, usually starting with the same initial. I.e., If my address was [email protected] I would also receive mail addressed to [email protected].
I never did get a happy answer; as it appears that by using proxy servers etc. spammers can do all sorts of weird things with addresses.
The latest gimmick that I have had a bunch of is; to send the text as an image. I use the tools wizard in Outlook to redirect a lot of mail to the deleted box by putting in an offending phrase or something in the title such as "re:[" . However this won't work with an image as there is no text for the tool to read. P1sses me off.:yuk:
The short answer is that it it may be pprune related or more likely that the spammers algorithm is just grinding out addresses.

The Nr Fairy
3rd Jul 2006, 05:53
Or perhaps someone you correspond with using email who uses Outlook or the like and has your email addy in the address book has a virus / spyware which has harvested the email address.

Evo
3rd Jul 2006, 06:33
Or perhaps someone you correspond with using email who uses Outlook or the like and has your email addy in the address book has a virus / spyware which has harvested the email address.

I have a PPRuNe-only email address that gets a lot of spam for just this reason.

Bahn-Jeaux
3rd Jul 2006, 06:53
Or perhaps if you have your addy viewable on your posts, it has been harvested by a Bot.