PDA

View Full Version : Windows Genuine Advantage Notification

Earl
2nd Jul 2006, 17:24
Any body understand what this latest priority update released around today is all about?
Before you down load in the agreement which you have to accept.
It says that it will check your product key, H/D size and record serial numbers from various components in your computer.
I know this is to probably stop piracy but think this Bill guy has gone a little bit too far.

rotorcraig
2nd Jul 2006, 17:44
Already discussed on this thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=226778).

RC

Earl
2nd Jul 2006, 18:26
This was the genuine advantage tool installed a few weeks ago.
Windows genuine advantage notification was just released as a download.
At least it just now came up as a priority download today on two of my computers.
Is this the same thing or the next step from a few weeks ago?
Just showed up today.

Bahn-Jeaux
2nd Jul 2006, 18:28
It would seem the latest sends details of your PC, IP and evrything else that Gates and Co should not require.
It has been classified by some in the industry as spyware at its worst.

BEagle
2nd Jul 2006, 18:34
Actually, I suspect that it was a MS screw up for folk with later versions of WinXP....

I wasn't able to install the upgrade in my second computer until this evening. Presumably Bill has now sorted out his f*ck up?

As for so-called 'iffy' software - if I ever find anyone trying to sell it or use it I will shop them immediately. Because all these thieving barstewards are doing is making things unreasonably difficult and costly for honest users.

And yes, hackers and other thieves should go into the same boiling pit of their own excreta as drug dealers and other filth.....

Bahn-Jeaux
3rd Jul 2006, 06:56
Remember also that with the wonderful XP, when you first register, the basic setup of your PC is recorded so if you then upgrade and reformat and install your legitimate copy of XP, when you register again, it will come back as a phony because your computer details will no longer match.
You then have to mess around contacting M$ to explain and revalidate, a not too easy process.

Earl
3rd Jul 2006, 21:48
So much for honesty.
I know here in Turkey most cannot afford legal copies of windows.
I was told that 75% were iffy copies.
Most I have talked to computer shops etc said that if Mr, Bill would only charge or expect 50-100 usd per copy then they would be more reluctant to comply.
I know I paid 200 usd just a few months back for my legal upgrade, not full copy in Saudi Arabia
Something to think if you could sell 10 copies at 200 usd, then you could sell thousands at the reduced price, guess marketing experts missed this point.
Most people want to operate legally.
Just M/S is out of most of these 3rd world countries price range.
I am sure this would make even more profit in the western world, and third world countries.
Not saying piracy is correct but he invites this on himself, and in return it costs all of us trying to do things correctly.

Saab Dastard
4th Jul 2006, 13:41
I know here in Turkey most cannot afford legal copies of windows.

Hmmm, one wonders how they can afford the computers to run it on...

It's a bit like the people who have a car but complain that tax, insurance, MOT etc. are too expensive and don't "bother" with them - ends up that the honest pay extra to compensate.

:suspect:

SD

DBTL
4th Jul 2006, 17:30
Remember also that with the wonderful XP, when you first register, the basic setup of your PC is recorded so if you then upgrade and reformat and install your legitimate copy of XP, when you register again, it will come back as a phony because your computer details will no longer match.

Not actually, if you change your hardware setup too much for your copy of XP, you'll be informed of the need to reregister at bootup in any case. Either booting up is refused altogether, or you're given a 4 days' grace.

You then have to mess around contacting M$ to explain and revalidate, a not too easy process.

Well what you call "easy". I've always gotten a new number off-hand. I guess I called 5 times for a single installation, when I had the desktop I liked to change my configuration a lot.