PDA

View Full Version : Airport Duty Managers, Supervisors, QF etc??

pilotdude09
2nd Jul 2006, 16:24
Hey,
Im looking at doing something in between my training, currently working at woolworths as a supervisor but i think it would be great fun to be able to become a duty manager or similar at an airport similar to those on holiday airport sydney or John Cull? in heathrow. It would be great interacting with pilots,f/a,ground crew and of course the lovely self loading passengers:}
Question for those who know, whats the money like in these kind of positions?
Hours?

Hope you can help, looking for all kinds of solutions ATM!!

Edit: Obviously this is for the major airports!! syd,mel,per,adl Thanks......

BARON DRIVER
3rd Jul 2006, 00:04
"woolworths as a supervisor"

Sorry mate but you will be over qualified for any QF positions!

computer says no
3rd Jul 2006, 01:53
I can't talk for other airports but a position at Sydney as a duty manager would require years of work, a fair bit of grovelling and a knife or 20 in the backs of all your best friends. And that's looking at it in a positive light. I assume all other major city airports, generally being largish corporations wouldn't be far off either. For what it's worth however smaller airports like cooma, broome and camden have had positions available like this. I think these positions are quite general (from taking a/c regos to polishing the rwy edge light bulbs) however are probably a bit more accessible. Then again you could always try airlines or ground handlers and see how you go there.

PennyBenjamin
3rd Jul 2006, 02:08
management may not be necessary or available, you must realise that some people are professional ground staff and have been sucking years of arse to get to the ground manager's possy. However when i was training i worked as a bag chucker for a major airline and so have many pilot's out there. its a good way to get to know the company and the industry and keeps you fit if you work hard at it. Try that - Virgin are prob the easiest to get into, i think they call them 'pit crew', and they seem to enjoy themselves.

Buster Hyman
3rd Jul 2006, 02:53
Normally, I would agree with others hear that it'd take quite a few years of intense grovelling to get a senior role with groundstaff but, considering that the least likely to get those positions these days are experienced airline staff, perhaps your Woolies supervision role will give you the edge!

I know the National FA manager at AN was from David Jones!