PDA

View Full Version : "Holiday" (?) in Doha

ExSimGuy
2nd Jul 2006, 14:46
Hi Guys and Guyesses,

Well not reallly a holiday;) , I'll be coming over there for 3 weeks, possibly longer, on business, from around the middle of this month.

After a long hard day, I'm wondering about evening activities, as I'll be staying at a 3* hotel, not a 5* (so I assume no "facilities" in the hotel!):{

Is there a "British Club", or a "Caledonian Society"? Where does everyone hang out evenings and weekends? The hotel is probably fixed up with 10 Arabic channels of TV plus CNN, so I probably won't want to park myself in the hotel all evening every evening:sad:

ExSimGuy
4th Jul 2006, 14:38
So there's no social life at all on Doha?

How the hell do you stick working at QR?:{

(PM me if you're shy!)

Mountain pilot
4th Jul 2006, 14:49
Go to The Ritz, Inter Con, Mariot, Sheraton, Ridges Ozzy bar, or Ramada. Inter Con on Wed is Ladies night so I have heard, only been there on a weekend last year to a tex mex (In Inter con) bar which was ok, I guess it is still there. I had a good time when I was in Doha. Bit too hot this time of year for anything out side!

loc22550
5th Jul 2006, 04:15
There is no "live" in Doha...expecially during the period calling "summer time".....except ..in the shopping center..:sad:
Outside doha..nothing..Sand,sand,and..sand..
Yes i think you will be limited to go from an hotel to another...
Last but not least..if you rent a car,be very carefull on the road,there is rules on the road here, but as a lot of thing here,nobody respect it here.:uhoh:

NoJoke
5th Jul 2006, 11:23
What dates are you over here

ExSimGuy
7th Jul 2006, 18:12
Apologies for delay in getting back - been in BAH and the whole internet seems to crumble and fall at weekends there! Managed to get online Thursday morning (6 a.m.), but from then until I left lunchtime today, the laptop oscillated between "trying to obtain IP address" and "a cable is unplugged" :uhoh:

Bit too hot this time of year for anything out side!
Unfortunately, I will be the guy who you will observe, sweating buckets in the cab of a big yellow-and-green tractor on a large grass area on the Cornich, 8 hours a day, 6 days a week:{

I have found though, that goodly quantities of Amber Rehydrant Fluid taken medicinally in the evening gets the system going again!

As for the traffic - yeah - been there before - and anyone who doesn't like the traffic in DOH should try RUH in the rush hour, or even BAH at the weekend (I just got back) when the "RUH Nationals" are over there en-masse:eek:

Aussie
8th Jul 2006, 00:34
Doha traffic! haha, first in best dressed!

Aussie

sirwa69
8th Jul 2006, 08:13
Missed you in Riyadh but may be in Doha in the next 3 weeks.
You want to make your way to Garveys club. It is a bit like the Dilmun club when it started many years ago.

I know where it is but couldn't direct you. I am sure someone on the forum will be able to send you directions.

Try these contacts for the hash.

Frankie Toy Boy Gribbin
4661415h/4661415w/4661415f/5840926m
Internet Email: [email protected]
Mailing Address: PO Box 1207, Doha

RA
Steve Sp*nkless Harston
4654598h/4401063w/5814969m
Internet Email: [email protected]

On On

ExSimGuy
24th Jul 2006, 15:46
Right - I did a quick "day-trip" there last week and we've pretty much tied up the contract. Now it's going to be five or six weeks :confused: work!

Looks like I'll be arriving middle of next week, and staying almost to Ramadan. Still not sure where I'll be staying.

Don't think I'll be doing the "Hash" as I'm getting a bit too old for that and, anyway, after all the "body-fluids lost", the last thing I'll need is an afternoon out in the sun!

Now for the good news!! . . . .
The site that I'll be working on is the central median strip on the Corniche, starting at His Nibs' Palace, and working our way up 4km or so of the Corniche to the Sheraton.

If you drive that road, allow for the outside lane on both sides to be closed off, for 500m to 1km at a time, from now until Ramadan. The closure will move from one end to the other as we work, but there will always be a closure (Municipality authorised)

There might even be a bit more disruption at night, with big trucks maneuvering. I'll try to make sure that this does not happen when you are all coming back from the pubs at closing time and might not notice a 20-tonner broadside across the highway :E

Hopefully will have time to join some Prooners in one of the previously-mentioned locations if I get any time off ;)

There will be no "over-run" on the project - it will be finished before the start of Ramadan - I have already paid for my ticket to the GatBash:ok:

(If anyone spots the green-and-yellow tractor, give a hoot and a wave:suspect: )

Heathrow09L
25th Jul 2006, 13:08
Is the Weather now really hot and humid, and really feel sticky at night time?

scanscanscan
25th Jul 2006, 13:30
Yes that is what it is like in Norwich Norfolk England right now.

ExSimGuy
18th Aug 2006, 09:45
As you may or may not have noticed, contracts finally got signed and the local company got organised, and we have started work.

Working at night and trying to minimize lane closures. (Will mostly be short one-lane closured (outside = "fast":confused: lane! Normally after midnight, for spoil to be loaded onto 20-tonners) Occasional and fairly brief 3-lane closures to move equipment fromone "island" to the next.

Dust clouds are being kept as minimal as possible but beware, especially if you see flashing hazard lights from the grass strip in the middle. Work started a couple of days ago at the Soputh end, and will progressively move North towards the Sheraton - hopefully by Ramadan (when I am booked for a real vacation outside the Mid-East;)

Night-life? Forget it! In order to avoid the heat of the day, the crew are working from around sun-down until around dawn. I managed to get an evening in the top floor of the Ramada the night I arrived, but since then nights have been taken up with work - even Friday!

Maybe I'll get away for a pint one evening, but doesn't look promising!

Drive safely on the Corniche - the guy trying to cross from the center reservation to the car parking area by the sea side may be me:eek: