PDA

View Full Version : Gt Keppel Is - Procedures

Shitsu_Tonka
2nd Jul 2006, 13:08
Last time I flew in there (15 years ago) there were all kinds of procedures about 20 minutes clear of RPT schedules etc.

Anyone been there lately and have any useful info to share on local procedures / knowledge?

VH-BUA
2nd Jul 2006, 13:19
Gday,

I was there 3 months ago. Regarding information, ring the mercure resort and they can fax through an info sheet. Also, if you're planning to stay on the island, if you don't stay at the mercure resort (owners of the runway) they will charge you a $120 landing fee. As to RPT, I didn't see any other aircraft apart from ours and a C182 whilst we were there, so I am not certain if the island is still accessed by RPT ops.

Cheers

Chimbu chuckles
2nd Jul 2006, 14:16
$120....well I guess that is the 'stay away GA' rate:hmm:

2nd Jul 2006, 15:02
Call the resort, I got a deal of 2 nights for $150 a couple of years ago with the waiving of the $120 landing fee, I'm sure they will still have specials!

Shitsu_Tonka
3rd Jul 2006, 11:07
Have already booked in for a few nights, and the landing fees is waived - just havent received anything in the strip yet - but realising now there is no PRT anymore, I guess it fairly routine.

Chimbu chuckles
3rd Jul 2006, 12:16
ST I went there in a C172rg about 1984...the only trick to the place was a bit of slope and windshear. I cannot remember the exact orientation but something like 14/32 with maybe 4% slope up to the SE. Plenty long though if you need to depart downwind because of the slope which from memory I did in the mighty:hmm: Cutlass

Shitsu_Tonka
3rd Jul 2006, 23:46
Thanks Chuck,

My last visit there was around 91 in a C172, and same observations - bit of mechanical in the valley.

My take off run this time will only be around 160m so length not a problem!

suunto22
5th Jul 2006, 08:28
Definately no RPT any more. You will however get a few lighties PA32, PA31 and BE55 operating out of Rockhampton on charters.

Absolutely no fuel available. Closest Rockhampton or Gladstone. No lighting.

RWY12/30 (12 Uphill) 879m long.

Try and land uphill as the down hill doesn't look at all good on the approach and it is basically a fairly big drop just before the threshold.

Two parking areas, infront of the 'terminal' short term or under the midfield windsock short term.

Hope that helps.

David

GetOffMyBack
5th Jul 2006, 09:40
Does Tandem Skydive still operate out of there with VH-TIS. Fond memmories

calafradulistic
5th Jul 2006, 13:31
Apart from the resort itself the Rocky Aeroclub would be able to provide current ops info - they go over quite a lot for charters. http://www.rockhamptonaeroclub.org.au/

zlin77
5th Jul 2006, 21:04
When I used to operate there well into the last century,"The 70's" that is. All landings were to the South-East,enough upslope to stop anything, providing the touch down is in the right area. Landings to the North-West are fraught with danger due to turbulence and shear from the tunnel/venturi effect through the cutting. Just be aware and if "Not Happy",Go-around!

VH-XXX
5th Jul 2006, 23:28
For those that haven't been there for quite a while you'll be a little surprised at how the place has deteriorated. Behind the scenes it's *very* run down now. Some time between Contiki losing their contract on the resort and Mercure taking over, it has really gone down hill fast. BBQ areas are overgrown, the grassed tent area is very grassed indeed, the tracks are starting to overgrow. The living areas are looking more like a Mexican village than a Queensland resort. Very disappointing overall. The beach is still nice though and the resort of a reasonable quality; it's just the remainder of the island that lets it down. Probably all since the big guys (Eg. Qantas) stopped flying in passengers.

The runway is still good though!

Mr Crowe
5th Jul 2006, 23:56
GetOffMyBack

TIS only recently left. Around December of last year. After Mecure took over the jump operation pretty much died in the arse. So TIS went back to Airlie Beach, and the very casual jump operation for GKI is run by a company based on the main land, at Emu Park.

When did you work for Chook ???

Crowe

Dj Dave
6th Jul 2006, 00:03
TIS now in YBTL working for Coral Sea Skydivers

worked for SCC at Yeppoon/Emu park in 2001.

VH-XXX
6th Jul 2006, 00:04
Are you referring to my post Crowe?

I visited there as a day visitor after hearing reports that is was worth a trip over. I was rather disappointed. Everything seemed just so old. Even the ferry over there has entered service seemingly in '72. I didn't evaluate the jumping operation although I did see a jump when I was there.

Other people in my area visited recently and had the same comments, although I might offer for a runway close to accommodation with no landing fee or travel charges it makes for good value if you're passing through, but outside the resort, there's nothing exciting unless you want to use a Jet Ski or something. Essentially if you walk outside the resort, you'll think you're in Mexico.

GetOffMyBack
6th Jul 2006, 04:59
G'day Crowe,

Worked for chook around 5 years ago didn't have much to do with him, at the time the camera man ran the show. I suppose Jonesy still runs the operation from yeppoon

Buy Carumba
6th Jul 2006, 08:19
Have information that GK Island has just sold and major redevelopment planned- hope the strip stay's!!! Anyone up that way have any more info??

suunto22
6th Jul 2006, 11:40
It sold earlier this year to someone called the Tower Group. There are alot of big plans and talk of a new strip for much larger aircraft and i think a new resort. The money definately needs to be spent so it should be good.

Suunto

Mr Crowe
6th Jul 2006, 23:49
GetOffMyBack

Yeah mate Johnsey still runs it although it is very quiet at the moment for him. Very quiet. Was speaking to him yesterday. I worked for him a while back as well, and found him to be a great operator and bloke all round.

J430
7th Jul 2006, 00:34
These are not documented anywhere, but a sound bit of advice all the same.

Take a "Wallet full of Clothes, and a Bag full of Money":E

And get wrecked I think they say.

Cheers
J:ok: