PDA

View Full Version : DHC2 down in Hamburg

N1005C
2nd Jul 2006, 10:14
N-TV Germany report a DeHavilland Beaver down in Hamburg. The a/c DHC-2 had 6 people o/b. 4 are reported dead, 2 in serious condition. The reckage is reported (to be still burning) on a railroad track in EDDH. The a/c was doing sight seeing flights and the pi;ot was experienced and familiar with the area.
Condolences to the family and friends of the victims

canadair
2nd Jul 2006, 14:17
Extremely sad,
they had a nice operation.
Condolences to all involved.

mrloop
2nd Jul 2006, 15:11
Story in the Hamburg Morgenpost (in German) at:

http://www.mopo.de/2006/20060702/deutschland-welt/panorama/geburtstags_rundflug_ueber_hamburg_endet_in_katastrophe.html

Attempted emergency landing in a railway marshalling yard shortly after take off.

Newforest
2nd Jul 2006, 15:34
The plane is reported as being a float plane.:sad:

mrloop
2nd Jul 2006, 15:57
I understand that it was the Beaver float plane based in the docks near Landungsbruecken. It has been operating pleasure flights from there for a number of years. See http://www.himmelsschreiber.de/c1190/l22/u560.htm

pigboat
2nd Jul 2006, 17:26
Sad news indeed. Condolances to all. :(
The aircraft was msn 1512. (www.dhc-2.com/id241.htm)

Captain Jersey
2nd Jul 2006, 22:40
Hi

Does anyone have info on the DH Beaver that crashed in Hamburg / Germany near the harbour on Sunday morning?

Media reports engine failure after t/o ...

Captain Jersey

LN-KGL
2nd Jul 2006, 22:50
Himmelsschreiber's only Beaver is the D-FVIP (MSN 1512)
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0859765/L/

If you are fluent in German, here is some more news http://www1.ndr.de/ndr_pages_std/0,2570,OID2783360,00.html

AES
3rd Jul 2006, 01:17
QUOTE:
4 people were killed in the crash of a seaplane on Sunday morning. Included in the dead was a 12 year old who had been given the 20 min sight seeing tour of the Hanseatic City of Hamburg as a birthday present. The father of the child and the pilot were both rescued from the aircraft and taken to hospital with life-threatening burns.

The aircraft crashed between the Veddeler Dam and Brandenburger Street reported the North German Radio 90.3. The aircraft crashed and burst into flames only 2 minutes after take off from Spree Harbour.

First reports indicate an engine problem."The pilot tried to make an emergency landing in grounds of the Freight Railway Station" said from the local criminal police spokesman Klaus Gneckow.

The aircraft crashed into a railway goods wagon but there were no dangerous goods aboard the wagon. Experts from the German Civil Aviation Authority in Braunschweig were called in to investigate the cause of the accident.

"The pilot could only say 1 sentence to the Rescuers" reported Fire Brigade spokesman Martin Schneider.

The crash site at the Goods Station was sealed off and in total 115 rescuers from Police, the Fire Brigade, and Paramedics were involved. "It is very difficult to say exactly what caused the crash at this stage" said Hamburg Fire Chief Dieter Farrenkopf.

Physcologists were working with the families of the passengers back at the take off point. The passengers came from Hamburg, Niedersachsen, and Bremen.

The single engined aircraft operated by the Hamburg Company "Sky Writers" took off from the city's leisure harbour on the Cotton Wall for the 20 minute, 1,800 ft high tour around the Hanseatic City. The 1962-built DHC-2 Beaver can seat a maximum of 7 passengers and has a reputation of being very safe.

Hamburg's First Mayor Ole von Beust (CDU Party) was deeply affected by the crash. "I am deeply shocked by this accident and offer my sympathies to the families involved" he said.¨

Info dated 2nd July, time 14.39)

UNQUOTE:

My apologies to any "real" German scholars on this net, but despite the somewhat "stiff" tone of my rough translation, I think all the meat is there.

I am currently on business in Rio and after returning to my hotel after an excellent Dinner I was shocked and saddened to find this on Pprune.

My "interest" is simply that I have always liked the "look" of Beavers (especially on floats) and was very disappointed when my wife took me to Hamburg for a birthday trip a couple of years ago (ostensibly to see "The Lion King") that we did not have a chance to make that same trip. It was early in the year and although I had seen the a/c operating over the City earlier that Sunday morning, by the time we got down to the Harbour they had packed up for the day.

I guess that chance is gone forever now.

My own condolences to all involved.

Yours sincerely

AES

AES
3rd Jul 2006, 01:32
Copied from my post on Main Board:

QUOTE:
4 people were killed in the crash of a seaplane on Sunday morning. Included in the dead was a 12 year old who had been given the 20 min sight seeing tour of the Hanseatic City of Hamburg as a birthday present. The father of the child and the pilot were both rescued from the aircraft and taken to hospital with life-threatening burns.

The aircraft crashed between the Veddeler Dam and Brandenburger Street reported the North German Radio 90.3. The aircraft crashed and burst into flames only 2 minutes after take off from Spree Harbour.

First reports indicate an engine problem."The pilot tried to make an emergency landing in grounds of the Freight Railway Station" said from the local criminal police spokesman Klaus Gneckow.

The aircraft crashed into a railway goods wagon but there were no dangerous goods aboard the wagon. Experts from the German Civil Aviation Authority in Braunschweig were called in to investigate the cause of the accident.

"The pilot could only say 1 sentence to the Rescuers" reported Fire Brigade spokesman Martin Schneider.

The crash site at the Goods Station was sealed off and in total 115 rescuers from Police, the Fire Brigade, and Paramedics were involved. "It is very difficult to say exactly what caused the crash at this stage" said Hamburg Fire Chief Dieter Farrenkopf.

Physcologists were working with the families of the passengers back at the take off point. The passengers came from Hamburg, Niedersachsen, and Bremen.

The single engined aircraft operated by the Hamburg Company "Sky Writers" took off from the city's leisure harbour on the Cotton Wall for the 20 minute, 1,800 ft high tour around the Hanseatic City. The 1962-built DHC-2 Beaver can seat a maximum of 7 passengers and has a reputation of being very safe.

Hamburg's First Mayor Ole von Beust (CDU Party) was deeply affected by the crash. "I am deeply shocked by this accident and offer my sympathies to the families involved" he said.¨

(Info dated 2nd July, time 14.39)

UNQUOTE:

My apologies to any "real" German scholars on this net, but despite the somewhat "stiff" tone of my rough translation, I think all the meat is there.

I am currently on business in Rio and after returning to my hotel after an excellent Dinner I was shocked and saddened to find this on Pprune.

My "interest" is simply that I have always liked the "look" of Beavers (especially on floats) and was very disappointed when my wife took me to Hamburg for a birthday trip a couple of years ago (ostensibly to see "The Lion King") that we did not have a chance to make that same trip. It was early in the year and although I had seen the a/c operating over the City earlier that Sunday morning, by the time we got down to the Harbour they had packed up for the day.

I guess that chance is gone forever now.

My own condolences to all involved.

Yours sincerely

AES

Shed-on-a-Pole
3rd Jul 2006, 03:02
I am also very sorry to read this news. I turned up 'on spec' one day last August hoping to fly on this but the aircraft was fully booked for the whole weekend. Seemed like a friendly bunch of people running the operation; condolences to all involved.

SHED.

Morane
3rd Jul 2006, 07:47
Sadly the pilot also died last night.

Condolences to all involved.

Joachim

gofer
3rd Jul 2006, 14:21
Sad, Have picture of said aircraft flying on 22nd May 2006 for anybody interested - mail me.