PDA

View Full Version : My Dubai monthly expediture

Alby Mangel
2nd Jul 2006, 00:16
For those considering coming to EK:

I must stress this is our current situation.

Salary per month after all deductions in June 28 700 dhs.

Company accomodation, two adults, one child, not yet at nursery/school.

Food & household: 6000

Car loan: 2100 dhs

Car Insurance: 500 dhs

Petrol: 800 dhs

Satellite TV: 300 dhs

IPEP: 700 dhs (income protection plus critical illness cover)

EPC: 420 dhs (income protection)

Internet: 200 dhs

Computer phone calls: 200 dhs

Mobiles: 300 dhs

Cleaner: 400 dhs

Gardener: 100 dhs

Holiday Fund: 2000 dhs

Eating out: 1500 dhs

Misc: 1000 dhs

Total: 16 520 dhs

Dollar: 3.6780

Sterling: 6.7429 (fluctuates)

Euro: 4.6675 (fluctuates)

Hope it helps.

motojet
2nd Jul 2006, 00:27
Thanks for the info Alby. How do you like working for Emirates?

Ejector
2nd Jul 2006, 01:25
Is this for a right or left seat driver?

Alby Mangel
2nd Jul 2006, 10:24
Fairly new to the left seat. Should have posted this in the middle east section so apologies for that.

I enjoy the job due to the mix of flying that i can do, and the fact that housing is provided allows me to save some money each month.

Its by no means perfect but is no worse than any previous job that i have had.

whossorrynow
2nd Jul 2006, 11:05
For those considering coming to EK:

I must stress this is our current situation.

Salary per month after all deductions in June 28 700 dhs.

This must be a typo.

A Captain fresh to the left seat would not make 28 700 dhs/month salary after deductions.

An F/O might make 18 700 dhs/month.

Alby Mangel
2nd Jul 2006, 14:20
Apologies guys, fairly new to the left seat thus have edited above statement.

whossorrynow
2nd Jul 2006, 15:03
And you will confirm that this figure of 28 700 dhs is your salary (fixed sum paid on a regular basis) and not a variable sum that includes for the June payment any occasional and/or extraordinary allowances etc......

Because if we're discussing a figure calculated after deductions we really should be including any additions as well, shouldn't we?

330 Man
2nd Jul 2006, 16:25
Whossorrynow,
Sorry but he is correct. A 3 year First Officer (hired prior to December31, 2003) upgrading now would make a base salary in the left seat of 28705 dhs a month. (any overtime would be extra) The only deduction from that would be for the provident fund which is 5% minimum. The only other regular deduction is for telephone which he has shown as an expense further down the list. If you have staff travel or medical than that is an additional deduction.
I would say that his figures are fairly accurate for a family of 3. The problem will be when that child gets to school age. At the American School of Dubai, for grades 1-5 the out of pocket for tuition is about 1500dhs a month. If you are not able to get one of the EK seats, you you will pay another 9200dhs a year. It all adds up.
Regards,
330 Man

Alby Mangel
2nd Jul 2006, 18:21
Basic salary: 28 905 dhs.

Telephone allowance: 45 dhs.

Exchange rate protection: 1787 dhs.

Total payment: 30 737 dhs.

Deductions:

EPC: 420 dhs (income protection and club membership, not compulsory).

Family medical insurance: 189 dhs.

Provident fund: 1446 dhs.

Total deduction: 2055 dhs.

In June's paycheck i am left with 28 682 dhs.

This will vary due to the exchange rate protection.

Rgds.

saudipc-9
10th Jul 2006, 04:14
Petrol: 800 dhs

Good God you must do alot of driving. What does petrol go for in UAE these days?? When I was in Riyadh I spent about $40 a month on petrol not $220

Outta Heresoon
3rd Aug 2006, 13:28
Are you really from Brisbane? If so don't forget Americans do not get any exchange rate protection as the Duham is linked to the American dollar at a fixed rate of 3.67-1.00.
Also, ASD's tuition just went up 22% and the seat fees also increased about 30% so once the little ones are in grades KG2 to grade 6 you will be out of pocket between 2200-2800 Dhs ($600-$760) per student, per month. Takes a big chunk if you have a few kids there.
...aside from that your budgeting looks sound to me. Must have a small car though with payments like that.

Alby Mangel
4th Aug 2006, 14:25
Well its smaller than a hummer but bigger than a mini and with lot's of driving guzzles the gas.

Not really from Brisbane but would like to live there one day.

Not sure, but guessing ASD is American school Dubai, thus not putting my child there but thanks for the heads up.

Also agree with you, my budgeting is sound.

Rgds.

weasil
5th Aug 2006, 17:02
Should have posted this in the middle east section so apologies for that.

Your wish is my command.

Schnowzer
5th Aug 2006, 18:07
From someone who has been here a little longer with a couple of bigger kids:

Food & household: 8000
Car loan: 3000 dhs
Car Insurance: 600 dhs
Petrol: 1000 dhs
Satellite TV: 250 dhs
IPEP: Nil
EPC: 420 dhs (income protection)
Internet: 250 dhs
Phone calls: 350 dhs
Mobiles: 600 dhs
Maid: 1700 dhs
Gardener: 150 dhs
Holiday Fund: 0 dhs
Misc:0 dhs
Eating out: 2000 dhs
Schools: 500 dhs
Entertainment For Kids: 1500
Golf Membership: 1000
Staff Travel/Trips to see Grand Parents/ Summer Away: 2300

Total: 24,120 dhs

Thats the other end of the spectrum. You do not want to know how much I spend on my mortgage. Extras he will have to cover in the future include: Ents for either him or the family or the cost that is currently bleeding me dry, my family out of town for the summer with no place to stay! Believe it or not I don't have a 5* lifestyle and I don't go out anymore than I did when I lived at home.

What you can see is that Alby's modest lifestyle costs nearly as much as a starting F/O earns and he has only one small child. No wonder I am always broke!

Alby Mangel
5th Aug 2006, 20:13
Hi Schnowzer,

thanks for the comparison.

My friend has recently hired a maid through an agency and her salary is 200 US dollars per month, or approx 750 dhs.

Does your figure of 1700 dhs include flights home or health care etc.

Keep it coming guys.

Rgds.

Oblaaspop
5th Aug 2006, 20:19
Schnowzer,

Out of interest, how much did your maid, gardener, and golf club membership cost you 'back home'??

Don't wanna get into a row about it buddy, just playing devils advocate!:ok:

145qrh
5th Aug 2006, 20:27
If you go thro' Ek, its 5000dhs per year for the visa alone, plus health card plus flight home every one or two years, plus 800-1200 dhs per month so 1700 dhs per month all in looks spot on.

I think the figure of 750dhs looks a bit on the low side, maybe part time 3-4 hours on a couple of days per week would be about 750...

Schnowzer's figures look pretty good all round cant really argue with any of them, although I pay about 350dhs for TV as I have 2 packages to get the channels I want and my kids are a bit young for entertainment but they cost in other ways.

sanddancer
5th Aug 2006, 21:31
Yep, 5000 AED for the maid visa - unless you're a national in which case it's significantly less.

Hey 145 QRH drop me a line when you get a chance!

Mack Tuck
6th Aug 2006, 05:43
Just a quick heads-up to you if you have both IPEP and EPC salary continuance. It is my understanding that IPEP will take into account before any payouts, income/benefits received from other insurance policies. You would be wise to confirm with the IPEP administrator whether this is definitely the case but I think if you have both policies you are effectively flushing the IPEP premiums down the toilet as if EPC pay, they wont. I stand to be corrected however I cant see a situation whereby two insurance companies combine to pay you 150% of your salary if you lose your license.

Schnowzer
6th Aug 2006, 07:07
Oblaaspop,

Good question and I know where you are coming from? But that said, things are different here and I am not looking for any sympathy, just telling you where my cash goes.

My wife works part-time and a maid is not a luxury here but a necessity to help look after the kids. We used to have baby sitters and family, that option is now not available so we have to stump up the spondoolies or move the mother-in-law over (NOT!). At home I still played golf.

You could take the view that I don't need a maid and then my wife would never leave the house whilst the kids are at home. That kind of defeats the point of coming to Dubai: "Hey honey lets go to Dubai, I'll fly around the world and go out with my mates; you stay in your nice little prison with the kids until they grow up."

You could take the view that I don't need a gardener, we tried that once and the garden died over the summer. Working in 50° heat also kind of defeats the point of being here but it isn't a worry for many because most EK housing doesn't have a garden anyway! That said, in the states most people have a garden service and that sure as hell costs more than $40/mth.

You could take the view that I don't need to play golf but what else is there to do? Golf at home cost about 700 aed/mth so that 300 aed is hardly a life changing increase

So the maid at $463/mth is a necessity for my wife to work without any family or community support. The gardener costs $40/mth and the golf an extra $80 over the cost at home. I could reduce my outgoings by 11% and give my wife and myself no life, not a great trade.

I think the point I would make is that being so far from home has massive additional costs, some that you tend not to think about. We all know the phone will cost but..... Childcare with no family, 'holidays' away to see the family or so your kids escape the heat and some jobs that you just don't want to do in 50° heat. You'll see I put 'holidays' in brackets and that is because I don't view the annual traipse home, living out of a suitcase in someone else's house as a holiday. It was fine the first year but then it became a less and less enjoyable chore. As the grand parents get older they don't want to travel as much and if you want your family to stick together it will cost. It always makes me laugh that we fly the family thousands of miles to see home and so called 'friends' can't be asked to drive 30 miles to come and visit. (Yeah I know, a personal problem!)

I could save all my cash and I know a lot of guys that have a short term plan to make the cash and escape. Some do but many of them start short term and stay, ending up as miserable old gits with bigger bank accounts. I take the view that everyday here now is at least as valuable as a day I hope to see in the future. Anyway, with my luck if I saved all my cash I'd be run over by a tractor at the airport going home.

As I said before, not looking for any sympathy. But playing 'Devils Advocate' - your necessities change and.....You spend a long time dead!

Schnowzer

mutt
6th Aug 2006, 10:00
Living a little bit further west.... I'm amazed that you guys are paying 6000-8000 dhr per month for food/household stuff~!

Mutt

clear to land
6th Aug 2006, 10:02
From a SINGLE F/O's perspective:
Basic Pay:19682
Car Loan: 1800 (06 Pajero)
Mobile: 600
Home Phone:100
Internet:400 (Includes SkypeOut)
Pay TV: 230
EPC:50
Income Pro(Offshore):500
Groceries:1500
Entertainment:2000
Rego/Insurance:275
Gym:250
Cleaner:200(4x2hrs/month)
Petrol:200
Incidentals:500
Thus 11077AED SURPLUS and I consider I live very comfortably and am well entertained .(From Australia)

mahmoodnz
6th Aug 2006, 10:09
what type do u fly A340 if u have a flight to christchurch let me know

Alby Mangel
6th Aug 2006, 10:26
Hi 145,

just spoken to my mate, who confirms full time live in maid through an agency is 200 US dollars per month. As you stated there is an additional 5000 dhs for the visa per year. The health card cost him another 350 dhs for x-ray, blood tests etc.

He also has to supply the maid each month with things like toiletries etc.

Based on the above then a minimum of 1300 dhs would make sense.

I did query the IPEP/LIPS combined loss of income protection and was assured it was not a factor. This came from an admin guy, not IL so perhaps worth further investigation.

Rgds.

Schnowzer
6th Aug 2006, 18:37
Alby,

As you say, the maid visa costs 5,000/year. The locals pay them about 800 aed/month but let them live and eat with the families so that is just spending money. Most expats pay about 1200aed and some adjust it depending on whether or not they provide accommodation.

If an agency is charging $200/month for a live in maid, they will be making a profit and the maid is being exploited and working below the minimum wage prescribed by their home country governments. I'd guess that with the agency taking 764 aed/month, the maid is probably lucky to take half that home. I would not be happy having someone work for me and live in my house in Dubai on that rate of pay; I am sure others will disagree.

The IPEP contract has a written in it:

"Limitation on amount of benefits: The insurer will reduce the level of any benefit payable where any benefits payable under this policy and any payments received by the member under any other policies of a similar nature exceeds 75% of the member's gross pre tax renumeration package"

I wouldn't fancy trying to win a LIPS vs IPEP case but then I'm not a lawyer.

Schnowzer

Outta Heresoon
6th Aug 2006, 22:23
Schnowzer your perspective of life here in the PIT to Oblaaspot is spot on mate! It's nice to hear a realistic take on it every now and again.

To others in the budgeting discussion...
Regarding the housemaid, yes you will find some one "through an agency" for $200 a month, but you could probably scour the streets of some of our layover destinations and find many willing to do the job for much less, but come on guys, that really makes us no better than the companies we seem to bash so adimantly on these forums. These are real humans trying to better themselves, make a living, and in most cases send most of their earnings back home to their families to support them (children, brothers, sisters and parents in many cases). Perhaps not true "spending money" in a litteral sense. Quaff a few less beers or Cappuchinos if you have to and hand a few of those dollars over to the ones to whom several dollars makes a world of difference. Did I really just say that?...a few less beers?...:ooh:

It's funny (not really, just a figure of speach) to see how poorly some treat their housemaids/domestic help, and at the same time complain about their own employer or "how bad they have it".
Most countries set a minimum wage around 800 Dhs if food and lodging are provided, and it increases if either of those are not. The average I have heard ranges from 1200dhs month without food (1000 with) but with the maids quarters provided, to 1800dhs+ and both food and room provided (with several years working with the same family and if they have proven themselves to be trustworthy and efficient).

Have a look at the back few pages of "Maids International" magazine to see what competition is out there.:ok:

Alby Mangel
7th Aug 2006, 07:53
Schnowzer,

The agency was used to source a suitable maid of which approx 4000 dhs was paid for that service which included bringing the maid to Dubai.

The maid is paid 200 US dollars directly, no agency involved.

Approximate cost of a maid sourced from an agency in the first year:

Agency fee: 4000 dhs

Visa fee: 5000 dhs

Health Card: 350 dhs

Toiletries: 1200 dhs

Flights: 2000 dhs

Total: 12550 dhs or 1046 dhs / 277 US Dollars without salary.

So in my friends case it costs him 477 US dollars per month in the first year reducing to 388 thereafter.

Based on schnowzers comment that most expats pay about 1200 Dhs, that would equate to 594 US dolllars per month or 2245 dhs for the first year going through an agency.

In the process of changing the IPEP to critical illness and personal accident which would cost approx 350 dhs per month.

Schnowzer
7th Aug 2006, 12:51
Alby,

You are missing the point! Why pay 4000 to an agency? There are experienced maids all over the UAE, of all nationalities, looking for a job!

My maid cost 5350+12*1200+ 500 for a flight. Just under 1700 aed/mth of which she gets 1200. Your maid costs you 1800/month of which she gets 734. In the second year she costs you $126/mth, less if she stays.

The issue is not, as your mate seems to think, getting a maid as cheaply as possible. It is that you are planning to pay them just 734 aed/month plus toiletries (big deal). God forbid you get a runner or a thief having forked out your 4 grand. I'd be surprised if many would want to work for him for very long at the pay he is looking to give. Having spoken to their mates and discovered the crappy deal he is offering, they will be off like a shot or start to covet his stuff.

Understand that 6 years ago maids got the same as now even with rampant inflation, and he then wants to undercut that by another 40%. Why not tell him to pop off to Africa with a boat and a set of chains? At least it will save on the fine and a ban.

Schnowzer

AirNoServicesAustralia
7th Aug 2006, 15:01
I agree with the guys who realise that maids/nannies are people just like us trying to get ahead in life. They are not commodoties, they are not slaves, they are people, with families to support. I personally pay above the odds I think. I paid for her sponsorship (all up when you include getting this form stamped, and that thing signed) about 6,000 dhs, and then I pay her 1,500 dh's a month for 5 days a week work from 7am till 3pm, and 2 nights a month of babysitting (usually about 3-4 hrs). She lives with her daughter in a flat they share and pay for (her daughter also works as a nanny for another family), and she is very happy. She is happy, so we are happy. I pay to fly her home every summer to see her family, whereas all info here in Abu Dhabi says I only have to fly her home once every 2 years. Who here would like to only see their family once every 2 years. Not me?

Not overly religious but something in the bible says about treating others as you yourself would like to be treated. Well do that and I think you can't go too far wrong.

145qrh
7th Aug 2006, 15:51
Well said ANSA and Schnowser,,

It's not a competition to see who can get the cheapest maid,and 4000dhs to an agency, looks to me like 4000dhs wasted.:ugh:

It pays to look after your maid after all we trust them with our most precious things....our kids..

1000-1400dhs in their hand plus flight every year or every other year seems to be a reasonable amount. I also help out with phone bills, and general shopping if she is out with us.

IXNAT
7th Aug 2006, 16:08
I'm curious guys, do most employ maids full time? A live in maid seems very odd to me. Can most families in the pit not make do without one? It would seem that there could be some savings without the services of a full time maid. I know the villas are of a good size, but are they that hard to clean?

Alby Mangel
7th Aug 2006, 16:13
Schnowzer,

you have definately missed the point.

This for me, is not a debate on who has the highest or lowest paid maid.

The thread is called My Dubai monthly expenditure.

Our part time maid does not cost 1800 dhs, not sure where you got that from.

As we do not have a full time, live in maid from an agency, i felt it might be worthwile talking to my buddy to get an idea how much costs are actually involved for people thinking of coming to EK, and who will require full time help at home.

I presume the reason for going through an agency is partly due to the fact you have some sort of written contract.

The 200 dollar salary is what the agency stipulates, thus any maid registered with them will know what's ahead.

Hope that clears up the confusion on your part at least.

Good luck.

Schnowzer
7th Aug 2006, 18:03
Alby,

The 'your' and 1800 aed referred to the one described in your previous post not your cleaner. I tried to make my post less inflammatory. I did not have any confusion that I needed clearing up thanks .

Approximate cost of a maid sourced from an agency

Schnowzer

Alby Mangel
7th Aug 2006, 18:47
Schnowzer,

how does it go ?.

a bite, i knew i'd get one.

But then again why does that not suprise me. :ok:

Schnowzer
7th Aug 2006, 19:00
Mate.....

Good attempt to recover but ultimately, Sad! The reason you are not surprised is because you can't even spell it!:ok:

Oblaaspop
8th Aug 2006, 04:01
Schnowzer,

Good reply about the maid, indeed they are the exact reasons most of us have one. My missus works also and it would be impossible to do it without our maid.

However, I think the point of the ORIGINAL thread (before it turned into the 'I pay my maid more than you pay yours' thread), was to see how much the guys monthly expenditure is vs pay.

I think its safe to assume that anyone can dress up OR down how much they fork out per month to service their own argument or perspective on things.

For instance (and I'm not saying you don't spend it), your golf membership seems to be costing you about 12000dhs per year?? As a keen but crap golfer myself, I would say this has to be full FAMILY membership at the Monty....am I right? If so it must be stated that this is one of the most expensive in Dubai. Being a tight fisted git, I only pay 2700dhs per year for full membership at Nad (albeit its going upto 4000dhs for next years membership!). I also presume you must live a long way from the kids school, as you seem to be spending a huge amount on petrol?? We've got 2 cars (a Pajero and a Merc) and spend about half that, but we live close to the school! Also you seem to be spending an unrealistic amount on groceries (8000dhs!!), you must be buying about 10kgs of fillet steak every day from Spinneys for breakfast alone to spend that amount? Try shopping at Carrefore (sp). Again, we spend about half that, as do most of the people I've asked in the last couple of days (and anyone who knows me will tell you I certainly don't skimp when it comes to food shopping - I eat enough to feed a small village just by myself), albeit our kids appear to be much younger than yours and obviously aren't eating us out of house and home yet.

Again, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying your figures are untrue, its just that you seem to have chosen 'fat' figures to support your argument which perhaps aren't the norm (ie the golf membership example), I just thought I'd give slightly more 'common' figures to give the thread more balance.

Cheers

AirNoServicesAustralia
8th Aug 2006, 08:23
IXNAT, not all of us have wives who sit in Jumeirah sipping margharitas all day, ours actually work for a living. So yes some of us do need full time nannies. Back in Oz the kids would be in full time day care. Here they can stay in our home and be with a wonderful lady that we know and trust, for less than half the money I would pay for day care in Oz. I know which one I would prefer.

Gotta agree with Oblaaspop about shopping at Carrefour instead of Spinneys. You will literally cut your shopping bill by 30-40%. But I can't agree on the golf membership as I am looking at the membership cost at the sheraton golf club here in Abu Dhabi and it will cost me 12,000 dh's. Still trying to talk my wife into that one. So far....:ugh:

Schnowzer
8th Aug 2006, 12:44
Oobs,

On the maids, I am sorry, I suppose it beats the my dads bigger than yours argument.:oh: Believe it or not, I was trying to be conservative and aim low. I wasn't supporting any arguement and have no agenda, just stating what I spend.

The EK deal at NAD is a good deal if you play mainly 5 day social golf, with the golf course subservient to the racing. The blatant cheating from some sections of the membership makes it less attractive to most serious competition golfers. I am about to sound like a prick but what the heck, golf is my thing; I personally don't enjoy playing a quirky layout fitted into a race course that closes pretty often and the range etc disappear when the DWC is on.

So how much does golf alone cost. Single member at Ranches is 9k plus carts, comps etc; works out at over 12k and is going to be increased. Single at Emirates 20k/Family 26k. Single at Monty I believe in high teens, family mid 20s. Al Badia, off the planet. So actually I thought I was being very conservative. If you don't want to do the race track, golf in Dubai will cost at least 12k but more likely about 20k+ when carts, comps etc are added in. By the way thats without having a reload and doesn't include the joining fees which are significant.

I live on one of the new developments, kids at school in Jumeira, wife works in Deira, spend over an hour and a half in the car every day. That takes care of the gas. (I didn't include my mortgage, utils, service charge etc because unless you take the allowance that is not representative of all pilots)

I don't eat 8,000, that was for food and household. This year all the EK white goods have gone kaput and need replacing. The house needs looking after etc.

So when you say more 'common' figures with golf as the example, NAD is actually the exception to the rule precisely because it is a race track with a golf course. If you live out you will fill the cars up every 5 days on average. And yes running the house costs more than just stuffing my over sized tummy with fillet steak.

Hope that helps,

Schnowzer

Alby Mangel
9th Aug 2006, 21:41
Schnowzer,

twice. :ok:

djskypimp
10th Aug 2006, 14:22
Schnowzer,

Call yourself a moderator?There has been nothing moderate about your comments on this thread!Just rather strong unfounded opinions(which of course you are entitled to)

Many people in the UAE hire maids thru agencies for various reasons.

Amongst them,piece of mind with regard to health,replacement if not suitable,chance to see a CV and interview the maid.

All these maids willingly apply to these agencies and state the salary that they will accept.

My maid was hired as such and we treat her extremley well and she is very happy with us,we do treat her as a human being(pretty much part of the family)as we have to trust her with our family,pets,home etc.

It was never a question of getting the cheapest maid possible.

I think you should start moderating!!

:ok: Happy flying

Cerberus
10th Aug 2006, 17:03
As they say, 'Opinions are like ar**holes, we've all got one and they usually stink'

Schnowzer
10th Aug 2006, 17:17
DP,

I don't call myself a moderator on this forum, I just contribute like you. As always, it depends on which side of the argument you are on as to whether or not the other guy's view is 'strong and unfounded' or moderate. All I have done on this thread is to say how much I spend and stuck up for low paid workers whether sourced from an agency or not. Is there something wrong with that?

Schnowzer

Outta Heresoon
10th Aug 2006, 18:37
Schnowzer
I'm with you buddy. The others have obviously taken your input the wrong way. All of your comments have been up the middle. Keep it up.:D

DjSkyPimp...you must be pretty naive if you think you get protection and peace of mind going through an agency. You get equally as much using other vehicles if done properly. Just read the local papers to get an idea how many exploytive flaky companies are out there. There is even a movement to regulate the industry due to abuse. If you approach it properly you will have just the same security as not going through one (this is not bashing agencies by the way, there are some good ones, just pointing out fact). You will also recieve all the same protections (these are covered by the local laws) and documents, if you ask, during the (same as agency) interview.

The whole point from many of the posts was about skimping on the pay and treatment of the final individual. Like bargain shopping at the grocery store. If you tell fellow lurkers here "this" is the way it's done and "this" is how much it costs, they may come with a slightly unrealistic view of "real" costs and other various options.
Also (to put the shoe on the other foot -referencing DjSkyPimp's comment about the housemaids "agreeing" to the wage an agency offers them) remember that many of the posters on PPRUNE here agreed to the terms of service at their current employers but for various reasons but seem less than enthusiastic now. Not necessarily through any fault of their own. As I've seen many times, some just need to get out of where they are now (current job or country)without due regard to where they might be going. Don't think it won't happen at the domestic help level. Remember they are the ones entrusted with all your "stuff" and perhaps your most precious possesions of all. Try to keep them happy:) too.

Your 8000 for "household" isn't out of line (perhaps a bit on the high side compared to my 5500-6000 but everyone is different and bunches different things in that category.

We all leave our "home" for various reasons, but it's not only about money. If I'm going to live far away from family and friends, then there better be a few perks to do so for both myself and my family. Yes in some ways my life has improved (at a cost) but that's factored into being here in the first place.

fractional
16th Aug 2006, 17:58
Speaking about costs, look what is happening to Abu Dhabi 15 years later, as published by Emirates Today yesterday:
15 August 2006
Spiralling rents and the rising cost of living in Abu Dhabi are forcing upper and middle income expatriates to live without their families.
Estate agents claim that rents have gone up by as much as 60 per cent, but many of those looking for accommodation say they have encountered 100 per cent rises.
"Several expatriates have sent their families back home due to the high rents and several apartments have been vacated. The demand is so high that even before an apartment is vacated there are people who are willing to pay money to the previous tenants requesting them to transfer it to their names," said one property agent.
Over the past couple of months the situation has become tough for people living on a tight budget. There are very few one and two-bed room apartments available and all that remains on offer is accommodation way beyond the means of upper and middle income groups.
The Department of Social Services and Commercial Buildings (DSSCB), which controls almost 90 per cent of commercial and residential properties in Abu Dhabi, said: "There are hardly any flats under our control that are lying vacant, there is a severe shortage of accommodation and there are no projects coming up to ease the situation." Rajesh Parek, a marketing manager for Air India, said he and his friends now talk of little else but rents.
"The situation is compounded by the increase in the cost of living. Prices of food items have gone up by nearly 100 per cent," said Nora Kadour, a Jordanian housewife.
"In a matter of just 40 days the price of lentils has gone up considerably. When I left for my summer holiday to Amman I remember paying Dh3.50 per kg and now it is Dh5,"she said.
Private sector employees complain that there is no significant rise in their salaries to meet the cost of living.
According to property agents, there is a huge demand for one- and two-bedroom flats, so consequently rents have increased.
A two-bedroom apartment priced at Dh35,000 last year is now going for Dh50,000.
H Haider, a media consultant who lives in a two-bedroom flat for which he pays Dh40,000, has been served notice by his landlord that his rent is going to increase to Dh65,000.
"I have no choice but to leave. I cannot afford the rent. I will send my family back home," he said.
The rent for a threebedroom apartment in Abu Dhabi is generally between Dh90,000 and Dh120,000.
Some upscale agencies say they have vacant properties but few takers.
According to reports, the population in the capital has increased to more than 600,000 a rise of almost 30 per cent since the early 1970s.
There are an estimated 34 projects currently under construction in Abu Dhabi, the majority of which are expected to be ready by early next year.
By Syed Qamar Hasan, © Emirates Today 2006